Can a tractor clear this?

/ Can a tractor clear this? #1  

chsdiyer

Silver Member
Tractor
XG3025H
I am in the process of trying to buy 10.5 acres of which i'd like to clear about 2. I know nothing about tractors except what I've read and seen on youtube. I've yet to see a video of someone clearing a large area with just a tractor so i'm wondering if it's because that's a bad idea. I've attached two photos of what the land looks like. About 7 years ago the current owner had a lot of larger trees cut down and the land we want to clear was down to dirt. I'm going to be trying to reclear what has grown since then. I don't plan on removing any larger trees, just smaller trees and brush about 1-3" in diameter. I don't think my budget would allow for a tractor larger than 25HP. Also I only assume I'll need a tractor at some point (we'll want a yard, vegetable garden, fencing, small pasture, 500+ft driveway), but trying to decide if i'm better off renting a larger machine to do all this or should I get the tractor now and use that.

Thanks!

20160821_145000.jpg20160821_145955.jpg

/ Can a tractor clear this? #2  
Yes a tractor could. You will have some trouble with the larger diameter ones but slow and steady. Although if it's a one time thing it may be better to rent something larger and make it a weekend job.

/ Can a tractor clear this? #3  
A tractor-loader with a Ratchet Rake attachment on the bucket will handle what you want to clear.

VIDEO: ratchet rake brush clearing - YouTube

Ratchet Rake is also excellent for piling brush.

I would rent a tractor-loader, then attach a Ratchet Rake for two acres. Might take two, two-day weekends to clear.

After that experience you will have a better idea of what size of tractor to buy.

Ratchet Rakes are sold by the TBN store, button at top of this page. Delivery by FedEx.

Last edited:
   / Can a tractor clear this? #4  
Can a tractor clear this?

No.

But implements attached to a tractor can do a good job clearing it. :)

Try to get something that will have multiple uses over may years. Or a one-trick implement that you plan to sell when finished.

Bruce

PS: I've heard of several instances of a non-farm-raised wife objecting to an implement purchase. "Why do you need that, you have a tractor?"

/ Can a tractor clear this? #5  
It will, but I wouldn't we rented a tracked skid steer for a week, $1100 and saved the wear and tear on our tractors.

/ Can a tractor clear this? #6  
Hiring a guy with a dozer may be the quickest and most cost efficient. Or someone with a big mulcher head.

especially if you know nothing about tractors.

/ Can a tractor clear this? #7  
Hiring a guy with a dozer may be the quickest and most cost efficient. Or someone with a big mulcher head.

especially if you know nothing about tractors.

A mulcher or masticator on a track loader would probably clean up two acres in about half a day. They did my five in two days but mine is mostly sloping land and it was really overgrown with a lot of oak saplings.

/ Can a tractor clear this? #8  
If you have the time and like to do things for yourself. ..
I'd do it myself and find it rewarding. But then again working outside is my favorite hobby.

/ Can a tractor clear this? #9  
A tractor doesnt do clearing , the operator does . The tractor is just the tool he uses . Like any tool in the right hands it will work , but in the wrong hands .......

/ Can a tractor clear this? #10  
I am in the process of trying to buy 10.5 acres of which i'd like to clear about 2. I know nothing about tractors except what I've read and seen on youtube. I've yet to see a video of someone clearing a large area with just a tractor so i'm wondering if it's because that's a bad idea. I've attached two photos of what the land looks like. About 7 years ago the current owner had a lot of larger trees cut down and the land we want to clear was down to dirt. I'm going to be trying to reclear what has grown since then. I don't plan on removing any larger trees, just smaller trees and brush about 1-3" in diameter. I don't think my budget would allow for a tractor larger than 25HP. Also I only assume I'll need a tractor at some point (we'll want a yard, vegetable garden, fencing, small pasture, 500+ft driveway), but trying to decide if i'm better off renting a larger machine to do all this or should I get the tractor now and use that.

Thanks!

View attachment 478357View attachment 478358

I'd get a quote on having someone come in and clear it for you and I'd get a quote on a weekend rate for a bobcat rental with a grapple bucket. See how many weekends you could rent it for VS paying someone to do it.

Now if you buy your own tractor.... You don't say how far you live from the land. How are you going to get your tractor back and forth to it or are you going to store it there? Is it going to be big enough to do the job you need done? Stuff like that.

When we bought our land, we needed a driveway cut in from the highway, a 400' road, gravel, slag, and mowing between government trees for 5 years. The quote for putting in the driveway and leveling the roadbed was about the same price as a very used 50hp tractor loader. So we bought the very used tractor loader, cut in our own driveway, spread our gravel (found on-site) and purchased slag, and mowed for 5 years. Then we sold the tractor and got about 1/3 of the money back, too, and bought a smaller tractor for maintaining the place. It worked out well for us. But you gotta put pencil to paper and add up all the costs. If you value your own time, don't fool yourself about how long it takes to do things with a smaller tractor. ;)