4WD front mowers (turf equipment)

/ 4WD front mowers (turf equipment) #1  

MultiMow

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 325-D 4WD
Hey folks, I've been looking at 4WD front mowers (turf equipment) for a while. Looking for first-hand experience comparisons between Kubota, John Deere, Iseki, New Holland, etc. .

I just bought a Toro 325-D, and intended to mount a Trimax Flaildek to it. I have since been informed by Trimax, they don't make an adapter kit for Toro traction units... so I'm looking at other options.

So far, I like the wider rear track width of the Kubotas. I also like their old FZ2400 for its low center of gravity... should do great on the slopes (I have many... and some are relatively steep).

My past experiences with John Deere haven't gone well (2210 compact had a horribly fragile 3point hitch design... Our JD lawnmower is an underpowered piece of junk, aside from the deck/mow quality).

I haven't had any experience with Iseki, New Holland, or any others... so any advice would be great.

/ 4WD front mowers (turf equipment) #2  
Steiner/Ventrac

/ 4WD front mowers (turf equipment) #3  
I like my Kubota front mount, but it's the only front mount I have used. I see more of the front mount Kubotas around here than any other brand excluding the big high dollar rigs on the golf courses. My Kubota only has a 2 point hitch and a PTO shaft to connect the deck. A quick google search of your Toro shows it to have a similar setup. I'm thinking a local fabrication shop could have you fixed up pretty quick.

/ 4WD front mowers (turf equipment) #4  
Kubota has been a great machine and they are as good as it gets on hills.

/ 4WD front mowers (turf equipment) #5  
The Ventrac is a commercial quality machine made in OHIO Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments - all the power attachments go out front and there is a wide variety of attachments both powered and unpowered. If you want commercial quality made in USA, Ventrac is a good machine.

/ 4WD front mowers (turf equipment)
Indeed, they do make great equipment. The problem I have with Ventrac is rice point. A good used Ventrac 4WD diesel unit costs THOUSANDS above comparable units from Kubota, Iseki, Hustler, Shibaura, New Holland, or (God forbid) John Deere.

Another issue is brand-specific attachments. Most of the above alternatives are compatible with most aftermarket attachments. Ventrac's rough mower doesn't compare a Trimax Flaildek or Peruzzo Scorpion... as both are nearly as capable in the rough, and the Trimax finish mows better than most rotary mowers.

I do greatly appreciate the response, though. If I had the money, Ventrac would be my choice. The advice may help other readers (read: those of higher financial resources) toward a better choice.
The Ventrac is a commercial quality machine made in OHIO Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments - all the power attachments go out front and there is a wide variety of attachments both powered and unpowered. If you want commercial quality made in USA, Ventrac is a good machine.