Buy big or small?

/ Buy big or small? #1  

willysmb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1736
I have been researching and thinking for two months on what I wanted for a tractor but I couldn't make a final decision until we bought a house. We finally placed an offer and had it accepted on a great house for my family. Its not on acreage like I wanted but its a great house with an awesome barn and I have the go ahead to buy acreage up North so it will all work out.

I can't make the decision for the life of me on what I want to buy. The house is only on 1.5 acres so its not going to make sense to try and drive a big tractor around the house. The property I will eventually buy will likely be between 40 and 80. The property will be a mix of crops and some spots left to hunt. I would guess between crops and food plots I will plant about 20 acres of it.

The sensible solution for home is to get a small 20-30 hp FEL tractor that can handle mowing, FEL work, moving pallets and stuff in the shop, snow blowing, etc. However, if I buy a small tractor I am certainly not going to have the money to buy a bigger one as well which leaves me purchasing an older tractor for plowing/planting the 20 acres. I could probably use the smaller tractor for planting food plots and doing stuff in the woods preparing for hunting so it would have some advantages being small.

The alternative is that I could just mow my yard with a lawnmower, snow blow with a push snowblower, etc. I could then get a bigger 40-55HP tractor for the fields and skip the older tractor altogether, or even if I did get one, not have to rely on it.

I just cant decide!

/ Buy big or small? #2  
I have been researching and thinking for two months on what I wanted for a tractor but I couldn't make a final decision until we bought a house. We finally placed an offer and had it accepted on a great house for my family. Its not on acreage like I wanted but its a great house with an awesome barn and I have the go ahead to buy acreage up North so it will all work out.

I can't make the decision for the life of me on what I want to buy. The house is only on 1.5 acres so its not going to make sense to try and drive a big tractor around the house. The property I will eventually buy will likely be between 40 and 80. The property will be a mix of crops and some spots left to hunt. I would guess between crops and food plots I will plant about 20 acres of it.

The sensible solution for home is to get a small 20-30 hp FEL tractor that can handle mowing, FEL work, moving pallets and stuff in the shop, snow blowing, etc. However, if I buy a small tractor I am certainly not going to have the money to buy a bigger one as well which leaves me purchasing an older tractor for plowing/planting the 20 acres. I could probably use the smaller tractor for planting food plots and doing stuff in the woods preparing for hunting so it would have some advantages being small.

The alternative is that I could just mow my yard with a lawnmower, snow blow with a push snowblower, etc. I could then get a bigger 40-55HP tractor for the fields and skip the older tractor altogether, or even if I did get one, not have to rely on it.

I just cant decide!

It looks to me like a SCUT for the house and a Utility for the acreage when you get there.
Lots of snow in MI so depending on how much drive you have to deal with maybe a SCUT mounted blower and mower would be the way to go.
If you were local I'd make you a screaming deal on a walk behind JD TRX24 blower with electric start. It came with the house but I've never used it nor do I intend too. I've got it all setup to run if need be but think I'll be using the tractor and FEL to deal with my driveway. That is if it ever snows enough to need it. It hasn't so far but it's been all drought years till now so we just drive over it.

/ Buy big or small? #3  
Personally, I'd go with a mower and bigger tractor. You can always rent a SCUT or such for needed work around the house or haul your bigger tractor down or pay someone to transport it.

/ Buy big or small? #4  
1. What about potentially trailering one tractor back and forth between the two properties? If you want to leave the tractor on the larger, non-residential property, you would need SECURE STORAGE.

2. I would let a real farmer rent the acreage, or farm it on a share, in lieu of rent.

Crop prices are very low now. Without experience you will likely have a loss on material, whatever you harvest, even valuing your time at zero.

3. Consider handling snow with a plow on your truck or SUV. You will be inside, warm and dry and have lights. Vehicle is more stable than a tractor. You can utilize high quality tire chains in 'bad' years.

Perchance do you have an ATV or utility vehicle? Most handle a light snow plow well.

Last edited:
   / Buy big or small? #5  
If it helps, my better half and I have just under 40 acres (incl. home with large yard), and already had a zero turn. Thought bigger tractor was better... all the justifications... and by going with an LS that 65HP cab tractor and backhoe cost about the same coin as a class or two smaller "big name" brand cab tractor without the backhoe.

However, AFTER buying the big tractor got wet feet about dropping 200-300% more for those larger implements (e.g. 6' vs 8' brush cutters), buying a bigger trailer and towing at/over spec with my older truck, and ruled out hay due to entry costs of equipment and livestock (and considerable time). Was fortunate that after 2 years I'm only down ~10% in total costs and ahead compared with renting or contracting out. Learned a lot and had fun... can always go big again if my situation changes. The LS and zero turn choices by the way were smart and I'd recommend both highly.

As others have opined, making a quick buck in agriculture with 20-40 acres just may not be possible anymore without inheriting equipment and/or working it near full-time. For hobby and small scale, thinking the XR series by LS or perhaps something about the size/weight of a JD 3-series is the way to go: 5-6' implements (especially used) are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, can tow with a full-size truck/SUV and bumper pull trailer, and 4WD lets us do more with less in tighter places. Some projects will take more time with a 6' implement, but I kinda enjoy that seat time so maybe it's worth it.

/ Buy big or small?
I could throw a plow on one of my old Jeeps so I could cover with that and 1.25 acre would be fine to do with a regular lawn more. I could go with one of the XR series which would probably be big enough to do what I want on the property and small enough for tasks at the house too. I would most likely just haul it up to the larger acreage as needed and keep it at home. I wish they made snowblowers for some of the larger tractors. If I could get a snow blower for the XR4100 series I would probably be in for that.

/ Buy big or small? #7  
Have you considered a PTO powered blower? Found a couple blowers and other snow implements at Everything Attachments (Snow removal equipment for tractors | Snow Blowers | Snow Blades) that would work with both the lower and upper HP ranges of the XRs. Dealer might have some other units to recommend at lower cost?

/ Buy big or small?
Have you considered a PTO powered blower? Found a couple blowers and other snow implements at Everything Attachments (Snow removal equipment for tractors | Snow Blowers | Snow Blades) that would work with both the lower and upper HP ranges of the XRs. Dealer might have some other units to recommend at lower cost?

I thought about it. Just not sure Id wanna drive backwards that much.

/ Buy big or small? #9  
I feel for you all in the snowbelt... thankfully the snow we get usually melts in a day or two. Forgot to mention that the LS website mentions availability of a mid PTO on the XR... completely ignorant on the topic, but believe several LS forum contributors have blowers on their XRs and might be able to help with pricing and user feedback.