sizing a new tractor

/ sizing a new tractor #11  
Welcome to TBN. Join the fun:thumbsup:

Your most difficult job should be the one that sizes your tractor.
Looks to me like the 25 acre hayfield is the one.
My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto) would do the job. But that tractor has a fairly rudimentary manual transmission.
I'd look for a tractor in the 55-70 hp range (engine), 4WD, power steering, cab with heat and AC, shuttle shift tranny, front end loader (FEL) with 6-ft wide bucket, triple chain hooks and skid steer quick attach (SSQA) option, category 1/2 three point hitch, dual rear hydraulic remotes, and single front hydraulic remote.

Good luck

/ sizing a new tractor #12  
I love these threads... vicarious thrills, without spending the money. From the little I know, seems like Flusher has the idea: turbo, SSQA, enough power, and so forth. I would love to compare the Kioti and Kubota versions of what you might be looking at. I gather both are good tractors. I sure like the features of the Kubota's, and the Grand L's have some great features, but I haven't seen or played with equal Kioti's...

I would suggest a front plow as you best all around snow removal tool. Anything else isn't as functional, IMO. I can deal with 30+" snowfalls with my little L3400 and its front blade, and it ain't powder snow, either. With a heated cab, it would almost be a pleasure. A mile is too long to be turned around in your seat.

Ah! It just occurred to me that you will surely have a 4 wd pickup, so what better than a nice plow on that for clearing your 1 mile of lane. Box blade, or even just a serious rear scraper blade would maintain that lane, otherwise.

Last edited:
   / sizing a new tractor #13  
You state you have a tractor, and MANY people used that size tractor for more land than you state.

If you start a Post #1, not Post #2, you will discover the OP does not have a tractor. The OP is shopping for his tractor.

/ sizing a new tractor #14  
If you start a Post #1, not Post #2, you will discover the OP does not have a tractor. The OP is shopping for his tractor.

The same as you have "Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds",,,

He has "MF 35 Deluxe"

Do you have a Kubota?? :confused:

/ sizing a new tractor
The mf 35 came with the property. I'm working on getting it running. I would love to get it working and keep it but that probably not going to happen. It would be a nice tree and light duty tractor.

It has be setting for years and not properly stored. I'm almost done with the fuel system that was completely clogged from start to finish and I beat that that will get it running but the problems don't stop there. It stuck in gear. That alone will probably be a deal breaker after I find some to give a estimated. Not near as big of deal all the grease fittings/bushings are played. It's probably best to get it running and let someone else get swept away in the thought of having a "vintage" tractor.

As far as it being my only tractor, you are right. It was the only tractor back in the day on this farm when it was really being run by them for years. They also pickup the bales by hand and threw in trailer and them picked them up by hand again to but on the elevator so someone else could pick them up again to stack them. That doesn't cover if you go to sell them. They mucked out winter pins with a pitchfork put it in a trailer and drove it around will someone else pitchfork out in the field because they didn't have a manure spreader or a FEL.

I can go on but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it and it's no wonder why the children didn't want anything to do with it. Luckily for me thats why I now own it.

/ sizing a new tractor #16  
For an alternative to Kubota, check out the Kioti RX series tractors which compete with Kubota M series. I haven't priced them but Kioti generally offers great bang for the buck and both excellent performance and reliability.

/ sizing a new tractor
Sounds like so far everyone leans to the utility opposed to the CUT.