New Tractor Time

/ New Tractor Time #1  

vlcakc

Silver Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 55 CVT Cab W Loader
I have a serious buyer for my beloved 2000 New Holland TC45D SuperSteer and loader, so I need to start thinking about a replacement. The buyer also wants all the implements, New Holland 918H flail mower, Land Pride box blade, 55 gallon 3-point sprayer, Land Pride tiller and my new Woods grading scraper which I haven't even had a chance to mount and try. The tractor has been great, but I understand New Holland no longer sources these tractors from Shibaura. Also, my experience with the New Holland dealer has been less than stellar, so I doubt Ill do business with him again.

I live in a small town-rural area, so I don't have a lot of different dealers close to choose from. Nearest dealer is John Deere (25 miles) , then 3 Kubota dealers about equidistant (50-65 miles), and a Massey Ferguson dealer (50 miles). The next closest dealers are 90-120 miles away, which is further than I want to consider. I have done business with the John Deere dealer and one of the Kubota dealers and am ok with them.

I am seriously considering a cab this time. I may want to downsize a bit also. The Deere dealer has some package deals with tractor, loader and implements, so I'll definitely consider them. I really haven't looked at the Kubotas or Masseys, but plan to. I'll want a loader, mower (probably flail) and a grading scraper. Suggestions? Vic

/ New Tractor Time
Some internet browsing turned up the Kubota L3560HSTC tractor. The specs look good for my use. Any feedback on this model? Vic

/ New Tractor Time #3  
I'm looking at a L4060 myself. Power to weight on the L3560 is just to low for me. I do a fair bit of roading & my 3,500lbs 32hp L3200 wheezes & slows way down on hills. A L3560 is 2 more HP & almpst double the weight.

/ New Tractor Time #4  
What do your neighbours say about the local dealerships? Especially when it comes to support and service.

Reputation goes a long way in deciding what colour tractor I'd recommend.

/ New Tractor Time #5  
Hands on the best way,visit dealerships than go w/your gut feelings.

/ New Tractor Time
Based on some internet browsing it looks like the Kubota L3560 or L4060, Deere 3039R or perhaps the MF 1736 may be contenders. How do the cab amenities compare on these? Oklahoma summers get pretty hot, so air conditioning effectiveness is a concern.

I agree the best way is to visit the dealers and get a first hand look, but I wanted to do a little research via the internet first. I have done business myself with the Deere and Kubota dealers and am comfortable with them. The MF dealer I have not dealt with, but should be able to get a read from friends/neighbors. Unfortunately, there are no Kioti, LS, et al dealers close enough to consider. Vic

/ New Tractor Time #7  
Look for my thread on trying to talk me out of a L4060 here. Apparently I know less about the frame sizes on the Grand Kubotas than I thought I did.

The L3560 is a noticeably bigger machine than the Deere L3039r with appropriately bigger capacities & capabilities. The Kubota is a bit underpowered in my opinion. The Deere has 39hp vs 35hp on a smaller machine (there are smaller & bigger Deere HP options for the same frame, apparently not so for Kubota, unlike what I originally thought). The Deere is about $7k more than Kubota though. Both cabs are nice & better than the LS or TYM options I looked at. Both had hot heat & cold A/C, among other stuff you'd expect in a premium cab.

One annoying thing is Kubota tries to do a million different functions with 1 button you tap or hold. Deere has knobs or switches for most individual functions, far easier to use.

/ New Tractor Time
Looked at a JD 4066R with hydrostat and cab this afternoon. Bigger engine than I need but the cab, etc. is supposed to be the same as the 44 hp model. Cab seemed a bit cramped especially leg room. I should mention that I'm 6'-4", and 240 lbs. Foot pedals are also a bit small and close together for my size 12's. It was 95F this afternoon when I did the test drive. Air conditioning seem to work ok, although I wasn't in the cab long enough for a real conclusive workout. Hydrostat is a straight 3 speed vs my TC45D which is two speed with dual range giving four speeds. Lower 3pt hitch arms are solid and not telescoping which seems odd in a supposed deluxe tractor. Guess JD wants to promote the iMatch quick hitch. Lots of bell and whistle controls and switches which I'm not sure would be all that useful to me. Altogether an decent enough tractor, although one that is disappointing in some ways. I'll keep looking. Vic

/ New Tractor Time #9  
I'd hop in the truck and hit a few dealers in the surrounding towns from Stillwater to Ark City. I"m sure you will find a model and more importantly a dealer you like.

I did a quick search and you are right about Kioti not being close. I see there is a Mahindra dealer in Stillwaterhttp://sawgrassequipment.com/ but that's more of a value minded machine compared to the Kubota and Deere machines you are looking at.

If I still lived in Oklahoma and was after a tractor I'd probably go to the enlow auction.Enlow Tractor Auction They get all kinds of stuff in there.

Just click on the brand.
Enlow Tractor Auction | Auction Day Schedule - September 7, 216

/ New Tractor Time #10  
Looks like the 55hp NH boomers are now using Fiat for the engines. Is there something about the new engines that is making you move away from NH? I'm only curious because I'm getting ready to trade in a 2008 Case Farmall 45 cab tractor for a Case 55C with cab. Like you my current one has 1,600 trouble free hours with the Shibura engine. It has never been in the shop.