tractor for 62 acres?

/ tractor for 62 acres? #1  

willy1947

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 GST
This is my first post here. I am located new Bloomington, IN.

I am looking to buy a tractor to maintain 62 acres. I have about 15-20 acres that will need to be bushhogged about 2-3 times a year. I will also need to maintain a ford across the creek. The tractor will need to pull at least a 5' bushhog, grader blade/yard box to maintain a driveway, and it would be nice to have a front end loader too:) I hope to use it to help build a home on this land in about 2-3 years.

I have 2004 Dodge Dually as my tow vehicle:) and will purchase a trailer to match the size of my tractor.

I grew up and learned how to drive on a 1969 Ford 3000, but my family really likes the newer JD's. However, our neighbors have a lot of Kubota's too.

I am thinking about something in the 30 hp range, maybe 4x4, and diesel. Thoughts?

I like the 4310 from JD, but also think the New Hollands and Kubota's make good tractors. I have a really good local NH dealer and a marginal JD dealer (not much experience with them). Just wanted to get some advice on a new tractor.

I have considered used tractors and the inexpensive foreign ones too. I just don't like the appearance or quality of them.

Any advice is appreciated:)

Thanks,
Dave

/ tractor for 62 acres? #2  
I think 30hp is on the small side. I use a 30hp Kubota B2910 and like it, but I think you might want to go up about 10hp and look in the 40hp range. Just my opinion, but you will end up wearing out a little 30hp tractor pretty fast, the added 10hp will let you pull larger implements which will dramatically cut your mowing time.

The NH TC40DA is a very nice tractor with lots of features, as is the near twin DX series from Case/Farmall. The Kubota Grand L series units are very nice too. Can't speak to the JD tractors because I am disgusted with the local dealer and won't even bother looking at those until I see a sign on the dealership that says "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" or something similar.

If you are doing a lot of Front End Loader work, then I would strongly recommend the NH or Farmall units with their curved and sloped hoods and the curved loader arms. The visibility on those units just can't be beat and they currently are the state of the art FEL units on the market. My Kubota, with its long flat rectangular hood, combined with squared off loader arms simply can't compete in forward visibility with my NH. Deere also uses a fairly long flat and wide hood and squared loader arms so I suspect the visibilty would be an issue with those as well. Bear in mind, I never thought that visibility was even an issue until I added the NH to my stable of tractors . . . boy did I learn how much easier it is to see up front with that tractor!

Anyway, I think you are shooting too small with a 30hp. I simply can't imagine trying to take care of 62 acres with my B2910. Just my thougths.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #3  
Might want to consider the 40hp JD 990 (gear only) if you are on a budget. Otherwise I would go with something like the 4710 or equiv. I would want at least a 6 foot cutter for that much work.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #4  
I'd lean towards an ag-utility tractor myself in the 45 hp or more range. Good choices out there from Mahindra,MF,Kioti,Valtra,Zetor,AGCO,NH,CIH,Deutz-Fahr,Landini,McCormick,etc.....

/ tractor for 62 acres? #5  
It may all depend on initial work and final maintenance work.

Perhaps two tractors may be required. A bigger Ag type for starting out and doing some major work and then switchin to the smaller one when its just maintaining time.

Egon

/ tractor for 62 acres? #6  
MF 200 or 400series, JD 5003,5005,5020 series Kub m series' these are Utility type tractors that come in at about 40 and run into the 70hp range 40 is hp which is the least you need.
Some of these guys can tell you about the Case and NH brands. But for sure you need to go with one of the utility tractors I think for the long run. Even though they make some greate Compacts. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ tractor for 62 acres? #7  
I have to agree with most of the posters , you need an ag or utility tractor. Only own 40 acres myself , my only machine right now is a small Ford 1310 (17 pto HP), bought it on the cheap side though, am looking for a larger unit. I think 50 Hp is a minimum in both our case, besides a FEL is almost useless on a compact, just plain too small for real work.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #8  
Dave, I'd guess the majority of your property is wooded? If so, and your open ground is only 20 acres...I'd say you would be ok with the upper end of the CUT range....40 - 47 HP.

I am sending you a private message.

sassafraspete

/ tractor for 62 acres? #9  
hate to sound like a broken record BUT i also think u need to step up in size for est performance for what u want to do. ideally 40 to 45 hp. and afel in my estamation is a must. depending on your budget hydro is nice but gears are a bit less expensive.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #10  
I have 26 acres and I have a 4310. I wish I had bought a 4710 instead. You need at least 40 PTO HP and at least a 6' shredder unless you have plenty of spare time.