Opinions requested on 2 used options

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #1  

jcbGM

Silver Member
I have the opportunity to choose between two machines and would like some opinions. We have about 30 acres but my neighbor does the heavy farm work. Tractor is used for mowing (rotary cutter) the edges of the hayfields. Will probably add a brush grapple to help with that fight. We also have about a 1/3 mile long gravel driveway. I'll use a grader scraper to keep it tidy. Snow chores are handled with a RTV equipped with a plow.

Choice 1: new holland T2420 with cab and loader. Shuttle Trans. 1200 hrs.

Choice 2: Deere 4520 Open with load and backhoe. 1300 hours.

Both machines are in similar condition and priced about the same. Would you rather have a cab or a backhoe?

I'm 46 and I don't think the heat bothers me, but so many on here rave about having a cab. I can't think of many occasions where I need a backhoe, it would likely sit in the tractor shed most of the time. Current tractor is a Deere 4400 (no loader) that I've committed to selling to a neighbor.

Thoughts?

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #2  
I'm selling my Kubota L3200 to upgrade to a cab. Tired of beard icicles & being covered in dust when I'm sweaty. I plow snow with the tractor though.

Really you can add a hoe down the road if you have need of one, not so much a good cab. You can add a cab, but it won't be nearly as good as OEM, won't have A/C & might not have heat.

Not familiar with either of those machines though.

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #3  
I would sure like a cab. But with the trees and such around my fields, I'm likely to break a lot of glass. And the hassle of getting in and out of the cab would give me second thoughts. Cabs are great for long periods on the machine.
Here's an idea ... Try getting in and out of the cab tractor 5 times in a row, walking around the tractor each time. That's give you something to consider. dealing with gates, implements, etc.

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #4  
Really the only difference in a cab and open tractor is opening the door. You still have to climb up. I typically leave my door open for ventilation so it's really not a big deal but it sure is nice in the winter to be able to close it up.

At the same time the hoe is really useful for so many things.

I'd go backhoe since it's' not used for snow removal. If it was used for snow removal I'd go with the cab.

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #5  
I would mostly parrot the above posters. I might appreciate the cab if I were spending hours bush hogging or mowing when it was hot and or dusty. Dealing with a backhoe, if you don't use it, might be more trouble than its worth? Installing and removing?? And, lastly, you just may find that snow plowing from a nice heated cab is a fine way to spend quality time with a machine.

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #6  
Unless your in the business a backhoe can be kind of lonely waiting to be used. If you need some work done the mini excavator will do it as fast or faster than a backhoe. Easy to rent and trailer. Nice to have a choice.

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #7  
If you are not using the tractor primarily for moving snow then by all means get the backhoe. Backhoes are not only good for digging, but as a crane and boom for moving anything heavy into tight places and around corners. We've got two open tractors and another one with a cab. A backhoe on each. Frankly we use the open machines most of the year. It's probably personal preference, but I just find it easier to do good work without a cab in the way. After 40 years of tractoring, having a cabbed tractor is new to us and is sure nice when snow is deep and temperature cold. I used to dress up in full cold weather gear to plow snow. But I've also replaced glass and one cab door as a resut of using the cabbed tractor in among the trees.
If you can stand occassional cold plowing get the backhoe.
BTW, for summer field work we use a heavy canvas umbrella - John Deere sells them. Not cheap, but very clever construction made especially for open tractors.
best of luck,
rScotty

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #8  
Unless your in the business a backhoe can be kind of lonely waiting to be used. If you need some work done the mini excavator will do it as fast or faster than a backhoe. Easy to rent and trailer. Nice to have a choice.
Rental doesn't work out for everyone. A mini-ex would be nice, but the closest rental center to me when I'm at my home in Mississippi is a 50 mile hour drive ONE way to Tupelo. Hooking up my backhoe takes about 10 minutes. And I don't have to schedule a rental on Monday for what turns out to be a rainy day on Friday.
Also look at the comparative cost of a cab versus backhoe.

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #9  
Like RScotty, I've got a canvas umbrella for my open station tractor. It's great for open field work and easy to remove for working near the trees and branches. Don't get the buggy style, it's harder to remove.

Here's what I got. Pull one pin and it comes off

Ru5 Rops Umbrella Rollover Bar

/ Opinions requested on 2 used options #10  
Here's what mine looks like. Universal mount and a ball joint. Easy to mount and dismount. Surprisingly durable and well built for about $120.
rScotty

Attachments

• ty2035_4.jpg
    ty2035_4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 57