Skid Steer Size

/ Skid Steer Size #1  

GreatSong

Tractor
None Currently
I am looking into purchasing a used skid steer, mainly to be used for turning the winter cow paddock into compost. In the spring I windrow about 60 yards of manure and hay, turning it 6-7 times throughout the year, and then spreading it via a manure spreader in the fall. I have been renting a skid steer the last 2 years and have realized it would make sense to buy one given the rental rates. I would estimate somewhere between 50 and 75 hours of use a year to make and turn compost, and then I'm sure I'd find a few things to use it for otherwise but probably wouldn't go more than 100-125 hours a year.

My main question is around size, that is, HP and weight. I have rented a Bobcat T590 track loader (66 hp, around 8000 lbs) and a Bobcat S175 wheeled skid steer (46 hp, 6200 lbs). Both seemed adequate for the job. The S175 would pop small wheelies consistently during the job which was unsettling, and I would have to back up with a load around certain areas (the pad is not completely level), while the track loader was stable.

I'm wondering if some machines are balanced better, and if the size and hp have any relation to this. I'm looking to spend $6000-$9000, maybe up to $10,000 if needed. Suggestions are welcome on what to look for. Maybe there are other things to consider as well.

I have a tractor (2001 Antonio Carraro 3800 HST) for all the other tasks around the farm, but it doesn't seem to make any sense to get a loader for it. Given it's size, weight, and the loader options, I feel I'd be better of with something made for the task.

If this would be better in construction equipment, feel free to move it there.

Thanks,
Anthony

/ Skid Steer Size #2  
In my area 10K won't buy you much but a problem. It's like pay it now or pay it later. IMO, you are better off looking for a 7500/8500 pound track machine. They would start at about 18k around here.

/ Skid Steer Size #3  
Tracks cost more & are a fair bit more maintnance.

Never underestimate having the right macine for the job. A loader on a tractor is a backwards piece of machienry. Lifting over the weak expensive axle with the heavy engine not acting as ballast on the far end of the machine... It's also nice to have a 2nd macine around incase you tractor or skid steere gets stuck.

/ Skid Steer Size #4  
If that's your budget, keep renting. You'll be way ahead in time & frustration renting v/s a $6-$10k machine, and that will only get you a worn out SS. A tracked machine would be 2x the budget at least. Renting is not that bad of a thing, and you'll get a chance to try different machine's & sizes and maybe brands, that will all add to your knowledge for your eventual purchase.:thumbsup:

A $6000 - $10,000 skid steer is like the old proverbial "$100 car":laughing:

And welcome to TBN GreatSong!

/ Skid Steer Size #5  
In my area 10K won't buy you much but a problem. It's like pay it now or pay it later. IMO, you are better off looking for a 7500/8500 pound track machine. They would start at about 18k around here.

Exactly. 4 years ago I paid $18,500 for an 1100 hour, 2008 model S185 with some nice options. It's been a great machine. Fortunately a friend is parts manager at the local Bobcat dealer and told me that the machine was sold new there. He knew that the previous owner took good care of it. The previous owner wouldn't budge on the price, but I bought it anyway and never looked back.
My point being that I agree with the other posters. That price range is going to find you some worn out, high hour problem machines. I once looked into trading my S185 even up for a same year Tool Cat. It had about double the hours, rust through spots on the cab and just didn't look very well taken care of. It cured me of looking for another machine.

/ Skid Steer Size #6  
I paid $10,000 for a really nice F-series Bobcat 773 with cab that had like ~400 hours on it. Sold it for 14-15k when I got the new tractor, but I wish I would have kept it.

I think to find a tracked machine in that price range you're going to get a beat down unit.

/ Skid Steer Size #7  
I wonder if there any implement that your tractor could pull that would do part of the work so the skid steer rental time could be significantly lowered. Maybe a change in method or technique to allow this?

Bruce