How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

I asked a dealer for a price on a whole goods tractor related item that costs around $2,000. While we were talking, I asked if he could find out what one would cost me (because you never know) and he said he would get right back to me. That was last week. I called again this week and he said he remembered he was supposed to call back and would call me. That was Wednesday.

Now, I'm a good customer, buy a fair amount of stuff, lots of parts, have a good relationship and I'll write a check when I buy. I just think they are not real good on getting back when they should. They are a good dealer but I need this item soon and I'm not calling again. There are other dealers around.

I can buy one at another dealer, and will soon if no call back--but wonder if I should wait a little longer so as to not appear rude. How do others feel on this?

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #2  
Re: How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

In short until you run out of patience and decide to shop elsewhere. He who hesitates is lost and the late bird ain't gettin any worms.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #3  
Re: How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

personally do not kiss his *** - if he snoozes he loses.
do not beg him

move on!!!

that is one reason i also did not go for kubota 4 miles away but mahindra 60 miles away. plus the specs were better on the mahindra all the way around.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #4  

Same here, never got a call back on the Kubota even after 2 visits and 2 follow up calls. It seemed the sales manager was just too busy to call with a price so I found my LS, larger with more features and much cheaper at least per their website even after deducting 15%.
Just move on to another dealer and get your prices especially after you followed up and he remembered he was to find a price and still didn't call.
I would call one more time, leave a message that since he didn't want to call you for a price, then you will be buying from X dealer instead. I would only do this after getting pricing from the other dealers (go to more than one)

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #5  

Same here, never got a call back on the Kubota even after 2 visits and 2 follow up calls. It seemed the sales manager was just too busy to call with a price so I found my LS, larger with more features and much cheaper at least per their website even after deducting 15%.
Just move on to another dealer and get your prices especially after you followed up and he remembered he was to find a price and still didn't call.
I would call one more time, leave a message that since he didn't want to call you for a price, then you will be buying from X dealer instead. I would only do this after getting pricing from the other dealers (go to more than one)

It seems there is something really wierd about tractor salesmen in general. I had the same experience. Are they failed contactors or something? In general they seem to be just about as flakey. Maybe some were used car salesmen that couldn't cut it selling cars. It seems most are flakes except for the rare occasion when you find a really good one. When I found one with the lights on, that's where I bought my tractor. Like contractors, when you do find a good one, hang on tight and forget the rest.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #6  

I would call 1 or 2 other dealers for quotes. I did something similar when getting a Land Pride blade a couple months ago. My favorite dealer's price seemed ok, but nothing great. And he estimated 3 weeks to get it. I found another dealer a little farther away, called and he gave me a quote nearly 25% lower. He ordered it over the phone, with just my name and address. I've never been to that dealer before and he said no deposit was required. Plus he was much more knowledgeable about the LP blades, so it was an added bonus. He called me in about a week I think, ready for pickup, and even assembled the options I added and cycled the cylinder with fresh fluid to have it full. Sometimes it's good to check around to see what you might be missing.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

It seems there is something really wierd about tractor salesmen in general. I had the same experience. Are they failed contactors or something? In general they seem to be just about as flakey. Maybe some were used car salesmen that couldn't cut it selling cars. It seems most are flakes except for the rare occasion when you find a really good one. When I found one with the lights on, that's where I bought my tractor. Like contractors, when you do find a good one, hang on tight and forget the rest.

Must just be the way they are. I had a dealer (first rate dealer) respond a year later about a loader for a tractor I bought from them. Uhhh, too late for a gift to the wife.

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #8  

I'm certainly not sticking up for this guy. Assuming he's a salesman at this dealer?? If so, you are talking to the wrong guy. Whole Goods are purchased thru the Parts Department. If you know what kit you need, a phone call to Parts will get you the price. In my experience Whole Goods prices are non-negotiable.

With all that said, I'm with the others here, move on. And start with the Parts Department. :)

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price?

Well, I moved on. Called another dealer and he offered 15% off. As ovrszd said, I expected to pay list price.

Now, I want an accessory with this so will call in the AM to wrap in up. Delivery in 3 to 5 days and I'll pay when it comes in. I did buy a couple tractors from these people maybe 10 years ago so that's a plus. They are a nice and competent dealer as well. Sales guy knew his details.

I wonder if salesmen aren't being a little coy by not calling back on the belief it improves their pricing potential?

/ How long should I wait for a dealer to "get back to me" on an implement price? #10  

It's been said time and again, that a successful saleperson, whether tractors or stereos, responds quickly to requests... it ain't difficult to understand. Someone asks about buying something, you act like you want to sell it. I think that often times the buyer will complete the deal, and not bother with price checking all over the place, simply because the seller was responsive and helpful. Done deal.