Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #1  

oldafretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901, MX5800, U55
What is this and is it a useful thing to get?

And I'm used to a smaller tractor and HST. What are the pros and cons of the hydraulic shuttle vs the HST?

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #2  
I wont debate the merits of gear vs HST but the creeper gear is really only useful (at least to me) for tilling really slow. My LS P7010 gets down to about 1/4 MPH in low gear creep speed which is slow enough to till even the roughest and overgrown plots in one pass. Other than using a PTO powered tiller, I cant think of much other use for it.

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #3  
I forgot to mention what a Creep speed is. It is basically like a 2 speed rear axle. My LS has 4 gears with 3 ranges (L, M &H) so that would put 12 F /12R gears but add a creeper gear and it goes to 20F/20R. Creeper gears don't work in High range hence the 20 rather than 24 gears.

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #4  
I bought it as an option when I order my Kubota L4330. It was a dealer installed option and the dealer just charged me for the part- like $500. He lamented later that he should have quoted the labor to split the drivetrain for installation.

The instructions warn not to try to take advantage of the extra torque that comes with the extra gear reduction. Apparently the gears aren't strong enough and it's just for the low speed feature.

For my use, it's occasionally useful for careful tractor positioning. I also (gasp!) set it at lot slower than walking speed, get off, walk beside the tractor on open ground, as I throw rocks and sticks in the bucket.

I won't order my next tractor with it but it might help with resale on this one.

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question
Thanks guys for the great info. I guess it's not really needed in most cases.

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #6  
"careful tractor positioning"-----wish I would have gotten it when I bought my L3130 GST 4X4 in 2003

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #7  
I have "creep" in two of my tractors... I NEVER till that slow, it's waaay too hard on the soil, it's just plain destroys the soil structure...

"Creep" is pretty useful for running a bigger snow blower in deep snow, or to move the banks back with a blower...

I find it useful every once in a while...

SR

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #8  
I have "creep" in two of my tractors... I NEVER till that slow, it's waaay too hard on the soil, it's just plain destroys the soil structure...

"Creep" is pretty useful for running a bigger snow blower in deep snow, or to move the banks back with a blower...

I find it useful every once in a while...

SR

I forgot- it might also be useful for running a trencher on a geared tractor.

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question #9  
I have 24/24 gears on my 6530C shuttle shift. That's ABC range and 1234 per range plus creep which is available in all 12 F and R gears. I have used it only once to see how it works. On HST vs shuttle, it has the shuttle and is just want I want for what I do. I have HST on all my lawnmowers. I don't need HST on my tractors as I don't do the kind of work that requires a lot of back and forth movement in small quarters and most of what I do is set and forget the throttle position.

/ Creep speed option on Kubota M60607060 hydraulic shuttle question
Thanks again for all the great input. So I guess it does come in handy once in awhile. Got to do more thinking now. LOL