Farm tax exemption?

/ Farm tax exemption? #1  

willy1947

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 GST
What is Farm tax exemption? I've seen it mentioned and wondered if I would qualify for it. I have 62 acres and I am located near Bloomington, IN.

Thanks,
Dave

/ Farm tax exemption? #2  
I just went thru this.

For Michigan, they verified:

Do you derive any farm income from the use of your property?

Is it zoned agricultural?

Is more than 50% of the acreage used for agricultural?

I am still not done yet, but almost there.

Good Luck

Yooper Dave

/ Farm tax exemption? #3  
Do you have to be farming it and showing an income? I have 28 acres with 15 tillable now that we built the house and shop. We rent the ground to a farmer for corn and beans.

/ Farm tax exemption? #4  
It can be a break on your property taxes and/or a break or no sales taxes on your equipment and/or supplies.

Every state is different. Check with your county tax folks and your state revenue department. They will know what you can get and how you must qualify.

SnowRidge

/ Farm tax exemption? #5  
I am not farming it, but I rent it out to one of the local farmers.

I just had the property reassesed from residential to agricultural because of this.

The rental income does not come close to even paying for the taxes. However, the taxes should be going down, and the lack of sales tax for machinery will be a great benefit.

Yooper Dave

/ Farm tax exemption? #6  
My land was ag exempt when I bought it. I applied to keep and it was accepted with no problem. I don't farm it myself. My neighbor grazes and hays it. No formal rental. I don't live there yet so I let him use it in exchange for looking after the place for me. The benefit is that the taxes are less than $100/year. When I build a house, I will have to fence off a small lot to be reclassified residential while maintaining the rest as ag.
Regarding buying equipment sales tax free. I have bought some but have been fairly careful. Although you would probably never be checked, I think you would have to prove you were using that equipment for ag purposes or be backtaxed plus interest and penalties if you ever were checked.

/ Farm tax exemption? #7  
Our taxes are reduced because is agricultural property and the farm rent pays about half the taxes.

We moved into our house in January and haven't researched our options very far. Need to start doing that and fit it in between the other 50 items to do. It really is everyones duty to research and claim every legal tax deduction/exemption possible.

/ Farm tax exemption? #8  
In Connecticut renting or letting other use your land to farm does not qualify you as being a farmer. In the town I'm in, if the land is used for ag purposes, the value is set at something like $300/ acre (even for the swamps) and the real estate tax is less. My 76 acres is taxed at about $3000/year with no buildings. To qualify for the ag tax exemption on sales tax, you need to generate $2500 in revenue (and submit the IRS form to prove it) the previous year. Any revenue generated from renting out your land does not count. Things that do count are sales of ag crops (including nursery stock), boarding of animanls like horses where you are paid to provide the board, not just the land, etc.

Andy

/ Farm tax exemption? #9  
We rented out about 7 acres of our 20 to a farmer. The rent more than paid for the taxes.

/ Farm tax exemption? #10  
<font color="blue"> Any revenue generated from renting out your land does not count. </font>

AndyMA, while the rent received does not count toward the gross revenue, I believe that the revenue generated by whomever has leased the land does generally count. In other words, as I understand it, any revenue generated on/by the land, even by someone else through a lease (I believe a legal lease is necessary), counts as gross revenue for the owner of the land toward satisfaction of an ag exemption. Of course, this can vary from locality to locality.

Upon further reflection, it is possible that by "revenue generated" you do in fact mean that generated by the agricultural enterprise and NOT the rent money received. If this is the case, then obviously your locality does not fit the model I described above. Apologies if I misunderstood your sentence.