Buying Advice 5 acres with a lot of trees

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #1  

gjuster

Tractor
none
Looking to buy a sub or compact TLB I have 5 acres - 3 acres of forest that I am thinning out. My wife has stored up more wood chips than you can imagine, I need to spread the chips over an acre, also move dirt around, dig up small stumps, and channel water off my property. No need for a mower option. Not sure how badly I need a back hoe, but want one for when I heed it. Looked at the 1025/6 Deere, the Kubota (didn't like as much), online looked at the MF CG and Kiota. I have JD, Kubota, MF, Kiota, and New Holland dealers within 30 minutes of me. Have looked at a a JD 670 and would have bought it but it was geared not HST, too much work, especially for my wife. Looking at 3038e that would work under 20K but it is 500 miles away, a little nervous buying used where I can't touch it.

I appreciate any input - haven't had a tractor in 14 years since I sold my golf course and those were very old with brand names no longer available.

I have enjoyed reading the forum

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #2  
I have really done a lot of work with my Kubota B26 which I bought used with 68 hours for $20,500. That seems like a lot for a small TLB but is it super capable and has some under belly armor that keeps most of the limbs and pushed over trees away from critical components. The hydraulic oil filter is a bit in the open and I did break it off once climbing up a brush pile where I think a limb from the pile got hung up on it, but other than that one instance, I have run it thru a lot of small trees and no issues. A new B26 is way above the $20K that you mentioned but there are lots of used ones to be had.
Another option that might get you close to your $20K budget is a B26XX or B29XX series Kubota with a back hoe and would be a lot cheaper than a B26 TLB. Take a look at the Kubota "build it" website and you can get an idea of what it would be. I have been told that you can generally deduct 15% off that price at the dealers.
Used tractors with 400-500 gently used hours might be a bargain if you know what to look for in the way of defective parts.

I don't think I would look at the JD 1026 for a backhoe due to the light weight construction of it.

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #3  
IF you look to get a backhoe with your tractor, go ahead and splurge and get a hydraulic thumb with it. It increases the usefulness of the hoe by 100%. You can grip, pick up and move just about any think with the hydraulic thumb without ever having to leave the seat. MY B26 is my go to tractor now for almost all jobs. I did have to use my LS P 7010 to lift a bundle of 16 cross ties onto a trailer for my neighbor. I don't think the B26 would have handled that weight since it was about all my LS could handle.

If you are looking at smaller that the B series Kubota then look at the BX25DTLB. TBN members who have them show some pretty impressive work being done with them. There is some underbelly armor that can be purchased from BXpanded that makes them pretty much bullet proof in the woods also. Without there is a good chance that you may damage the plastic cooling fans.

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees
Good info so far - all Kubota - went and built out the b23 b26 and bx25d on the site Can I expect better pricing from the dealer? Doesn't show a mechanical thumb option on the BX - that's an excellent add on

Also - no word from anyone on different brands

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #5  
Search the archives for the problems people have had with their 3E series Deeres... I think I'd buy a Chinese tractor first IMO.

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees
Also - since I live in Myrtle Beach, SC - not much to do but look at tractors! Great way to ride out the storm - worst is yet to come

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #7  
We have 4 1/2 acres (mostly wooded) here at the house and the 1025R w/backhoe we bought new in 2013 is a good fit. The smaller size is a benefit in working between trees as is the really tight turning radius. The hoe, with an added mechanical thumb, is very handy for lifting & moving logs, rocks & stumps. Also handy for digging holes for plantings when you are in a root filled area like woodland. I'll strongly endorse adding a couple of grab hooks on the top edge of the FEL bucket, it really expands the utility when moving things. We also have a 3038e we bought new in 2010 for working a 20 acre piece of land we inherited (roughly 1/2 woods 1/2 fields). It gets used for bush hogging, running a 6" chipper, PTO tiller, etc. and a lot of FEL work. No significant issues with either the 3038e or the 1025R. Neither gets babied, but both get all scheduled maintenance.

Nick

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #8  
I just picked up a MF GC1720 (TLB) and it is awesome. I only have 10 hours on it so far, but I'm really impressed with this little tractor. Its capabilites continue to surprise me. I would say it is worth a look if you are interested in a TLB SCUT.

You should be able to demo one. When I was originally shopping, my MF dealer sent one to my house for the weekend. Great way to see how it fits your needs and property. Made me realize I needed turf tires over the R4s (due to lawn damage).

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #9  
Also - no word from anyone on different brands

Kubota has 50% market share in small tractors. Deere has 25% market share in small tractors. All other brands combined have 25% market share.

Off a small base, Korean tractors are the fastest growing segment, with Kioti and LS leading the Korean brands.

Now is a good time to buy. All small tractors are imported. The US$ is strong. Imports of all kinds are relatively low priced.

If clearing tree stumps from three acres will not be repeated bring in a mini-excavator in to deal with the stumps. Removing stumps is tough on small tractor Backhoes.
VIDEO: mini excavator clearing trees - YouTube

Channeling water off your property is seldom an option these days. You have to deal with water within your property plan. Maybe a pond needs to be in your plan. Expand on this.

What are you going to use your land for? Garden? Fruit trees? Game food plots? Walking trails?

What is your LOCATION?

Last edited:
   / 5 acres with a lot of trees #10  
Also - since I live in Myrtle Beach, SC - not much to do but look at tractors! Great way to ride out the storm - worst is yet to come

Make Myrtle Beach, SC your location in your TBN Profile.