Beating A Dead Horse?

/ Beating A Dead Horse? #1  

BNJeepsta

Tractor
1954 Farmall Super H - Stage II
Hello everyone! I've been cruising the forums for quite some time, doing research and soaking up the incredible amount of knowledge here. I have a few newbie questions that I'm looking for advice on. Most of the questions I have, I've been able to find direct answers to but, there is one that I simply have not found a concrete answer on. Perhaps I never will? :confused2:

A little back story first. My dad and I just purchased an old 10 acre farm. Roughly 1.5 acres of that is finish mowed and has a barn, 2 garages, workshop and well house on it. The rest is a pretty flat, open field. We purchased this property because we each own homes in town, with small lots, and we wanted somewhere to ride our 4 wheelers and things like that. Neither one of us lives on the property so projects can be done at a more leisurely pace. Other than a small garden, no actual farming will be done either. The things I'm looking to do are, septic work, gas lines, water lines, small garden and making a track for the ATV's. There is about 8 trees total on the property and I've already cut 4 down, so trees are not an issue either. I currently have a 1954 Farmall Super H - Stage II and a 5ft brush hog but, plan to sell it since that's not what I need at all. I'm looking for a tractor, preferably brand new, in the SCUT or CUT category. Whatever tractor I decide on will have a FEL, tiller, brush hog and possibly a finish mower. I have a lawn tractor for mowing so the finish mower really isn't necessary. I have a back hoe so I don't need that either.

Here is my dilemma: I need a capable tractor, under 25K, with a FEL. I don't know a lot about tractors and the choices seem to be endless. I have Kubota, Mahindra, Massey, Kioti, and LS dealers all within an acceptable range so that's not an issue. I've really been looking hard at the Massey Ferguson 1526 and the Kubota B2650 lately. Some of the dealers have tried to push me towards the BX Kubotas and the GC Masseys but, I don't want to get too small of a tractor and regret it. I will be doing a lot of dirt work (jumps, berms, ect.) but, I can't go much bigger than a CUT due to storage. My Super H is too big to fit where I'd like to store the tractor. The tractor must be 4x4 and have HST as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

/ Beating A Dead Horse? #2  
All new tractors you are interested in will have 4-WD standard or optional and almost all will be sold with HST. Clutch/gear tractors in the size you are seeking are about 5% of the new tractor market.

Usually storage restrictions are imposed by tractor height, not width. Tell use what your dimension limitations are.

Kubota B2650/HST is a fine tractor. A slightly heavier, more stable, greater engine displacement Kubota L2501/HST is a better tractor for ten acres.

LINKS (2): TractorData.com Kubota B2650 tractor information

TractorData.com Kubota L2501 tractor information

B2650 has 77 cubic inch engine delivering 26 horsepower. HST tractor weight 2,293 pounds.

L2501 has 100 cubic inch engine delivering 24.8 horsepower. It is torque that does tractor work, L2501 has more.
HST tractor weight 2,623 pounds.
As L2501 is beneath EPA 25-horsepower threshold, it has less complex emission controls than B2650, which make L2501 quite close to B2650 in cost.

These are all fine tractors, all imported, as is Kubota: Mahindra, Massey, Kioti, and LS.

Last edited:
   / Beating A Dead Horse? #3  

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    1.4 KB · Views: 107
   / Beating A Dead Horse?
Thanks for the replies!

Height restriction is roughly 8'6". I'm not 100% on the actual width measurement but, my super H hits both rear tires on the door frame, stopping it from going in. I can't imagine that any of these tractors are as wide as the H though.

The only "L" series tractor my local dealership has in stock is a Grand L60 so I didn't even consider the "L" series. I'll have to look into the L2501. If I'm following you correctly, the L2501 would be better for ground work than the B2650??

/ Beating A Dead Horse? #6  
In MY opinion, yes. For ground work tractor weight and engine torque are the key factors. The L2501 is the hottest selling Kubby at present. Perhaps your dealer is simply out of stock.
LINK: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L2501.aspx

The heavy chassis/3,500 pound, fully-optioned-standard, Grand Ls are wonderful. I have the smallest, an L3560. An L3560 is about $26,000 the way you want your tractor outfitted. If you are age sixty or over, a wise tractor purchase which saves your body. ( I am sixty-nine.) Folded ROPS height is 86"
LINK: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx

Last edited:
   / Beating A Dead Horse?
They very well could be out of stock. According to the links you posted, both engines have tier IV emissions though. How are the emissions systems different? I'm not saying your wrong, just trying to understand what I'm looking at.

/ Beating A Dead Horse? #8  
There are two Tier IV standards: one for <25-horsepower and second, considerably more stringent, for >25-horsepower.

/ Beating A Dead Horse? #9  
They very well could be out of stock. According to the links you posted, both engines have tier IV emissions though. How are the emissions systems different? I'm not saying your wrong, just trying to understand what I'm looking at.

The L2501 does not have a DPF

/ Beating A Dead Horse?
I just turned 30 haha. Do the "L" series Kubota's have the rocker pedal for the HST or the side by side pedals? I tested a BX25D and I HATED the rocker pedal. That's what sent me towards Massey in the first place.