Buying Advice Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks.
I have about a 200 foot driveway. Currently have a 48" blower on the four wheeler that works awesome and doesn't leave a bank anywhere to deal with, so I'm kinda sold on the blower versus loader. If it's a few inches of snow, I will pack it down with the truck, but we sometimes will get darn near a foot or so, so the blower is ideal!

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #12  
Primary tractor tasks are accomplished from the Three Point Hitch.

Secondary tractor tasks are accomplished from the FEL. The FEL is designed primarily to LIFT, NOT PUSH.

Almost every task you may want to accomplish using the FEL can be accomplished with a Three Point Hitch implement with thrice the capacity of FEL attachment. Most, not quite all.

Tertiary tractor tasks are accomplished from the rear/center drawbar, primarily towing and dragging.

Front engine tractors are engineered to PULL.
Rear engine skid steers are engineered to PUSH.

Last edited:
I completely agree with buy enough tractor, which is why even though the wife gave me the green light for the BX25, I didn't take it. I don't want to buy the minimum of my options just to have one. Please note that was not intended to insult anyone with a BX, I just think that I need bigger for my needs.

And thanks Jeff, I wasn't aware of the Three Point Hitch implement being that much better than the FEL.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #14  
Have you considered a little track steer like an ASV30 or Terex PT30 with 600 or less hours it?

Your property is smaller and you'll have a nifty little machine that is way more capable than a small tractor.

I have a tractor because I would shell the undercarriage with all the transporting I do, but for rough work, it is hard to beat a skid steer or a track steer.

Last edited:
I really can't say that I have actually thought about it. A coworker was selling one and I thought that'd be a fun toy, but didn't think I could justify buying it for what I want to do. After reading some of the tractor vs skid steer threads, yeah, I'll stick with a tractor. Attachments more common and cheaper and lesser operating cost. Plus lifting isn't the primary purpose of my purchase.

I've had the property six years now, and will be here for another 20 years unless she finds our forever house someplace else. I don't mind spending time off work out back with my son or daughter on my lap pulling out rocks and stumps, even if it takes longer than a skid steer or mini excavator. Still torn between a backhoe with a thumb vs a root grappler. It appears that root grappler would be ideal for brush above the surface, but not as ideal as roots under ground attached to stumps.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #17  
You can cut the roots of some three to four year old dead stumps with a tractor Subsoiler. Hickory and Pine never seem to let go.

tractor subsoiler stumps - YouTube

I do not have a grapple, so I have refrained from commenting on this category. I do not know where the grapple operators are, funny none have jumped in.

Well, my guess is they saw, yet another new guy looking looking for a tractor and kept scrolling down. Can't blame them. But thanks to those of you who have chimed in.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #19  
There is no way of really knowing what would work best for you, obviously, but from our assembled opinions, hopefully you will gain some useful information! If you get snow often enough, a front plow is the ticket- no constantly peering over your shoulder, or being dusted from blown snow. A SSQA loader is great for a plow, or a grapple, which I imagine you will find very useful if you deal with a lot of brush and tree work. HLA is Ontario is a good manuf. of plows. Too small a tractor will mostly do the work, but it will take longer, and be much less of a joy to use, once you understand what you don't have. Too large is always too large, maybe even clumsy for some jobs. I have found Kubotas to be solid, reliable, and to hold their value, which means I can buy, use and sell until I figure out what works best for me. But, I always have bought used, and never regretted it. Oh, go for HST, which is very user friendly. Too bad you don't have more used tractors to consider.

Understandable about the no way of knowing what would work best for me, but the expert opinions based on experience is usually a good way to start.

A front mount blower would be nicer, but if the price tag is two grand or more than the rear mount, that's nothing a good snowsuit and goggles can't remedy.

And HST is almost a must. If a used geared tractor came up for sale I wouldn't turn it down because of it, but if I am going to buy new, I may as well buy for the long run and be more comfortable.