Buying Advice Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #1  

Bronco82

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
Good Day Folks,

Long time creeper, first time poster here. Home and property owner of 5 acres, some grass, some trees, some field, mostly field though. Currently have a JD D140 mower with 70 hours on it, so that will suffice for the mowing the grass, but I am looking for something to attach a rear mount snowblower on (rear mount for cost savings), a bush hog for the field, a box blade to level out the driveway, the lawn and the field which I want to reclaim into a huge lawn, a loader, and I am undecided about a backhoe (most likely with a thumb) or not. Like most, I have always wanted one, but after spending over two hours browsing the Wicked Root Grapple thread, I am wondering if that would suffice. I should note that my neighbours have a combined 400 acres which they allow my family and I to use the existing trails which are in need of work, and make and use trails on. I have constructed a mile and a half snowshoe loop I want to make drive-able.

The nearest of any dealer is one hour away, and the closest are Kubota, Deere, and Branson. The nearest New Holland dealer is at least a five hour drive, and Kioti and Massey Ferguson are both around two and a half hours. I have attended all the first three dealers and don't have a personal preference in the slightest. I am fearing the BX25 will be too small due to ground clearance, and PTO lifting ability. Unfortunately the B2601 is currently out of the budget. The Deere 1023 doesn't have the ground clearance either, but it does have more PTO lifting ability. The Branson 2400H does have the ground clearance, the weight, and is priced between the BX25 and B2601 or the 1023. There are not Yanmar, Cub Cadet, LS, or other non-major common brands up in the area. I am not opposed to buying used, but in Northern Ontario, the price difference between a used one and a new one almost makes it worth it to buy new and enjoy the warranty.

Suggestions for tractor based on personal experience? Am I on the right train of thought thinking 25 horse engine, at least 20 horse PTO power, decent weight, and decent lifting power to make use of the loader for moving soil and gravel as well as running a Root Grapple? Thoughts on a Root Grapple versus backhoe with thumb? I do have some digging to do, just the ditch along the driveway and two spots I want to put weeping tile in for eavestrough run off, but I could hire a mini excavator for that for one seventh the cost of a new backhoe attachment. I can't foresee any other trench digging, and was hoping that the tractor I get would have the power to lift roots of the trees in the back once the tree has been cut if I do get the Wicked Root Grapple.

Hopefully the attached picture works, and the trees all to the left are the ones I have begun to cut down, and now am left with plenty of crap to pick up and put in a pile for burning. Just beyond the trees to the left is the upside of the slope, which is also field, which I want to expose by getting rid of all the trees in the way.

If you're still reading, thank you for your time and looking forward to the responses.

Attachments

• Backyard.jpg
    Backyard.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 214
   / Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Bronco. Glad you decided to join with us here. I would agree with the new, not only for the warranty but the also 0% financing.
With most major brands you can't go too wrong. Have you driven any of them to test the feel of each one and determine what type of drive train you feel more comfortable with?
Most people here will try to talk you into their machine and we all love to spend someone else's money.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks.
I have not jumped on any of them yet, although, that may be a really good idea. I'm just under six feet tall, and only weigh a buck sixty five on a good day, so I don't need the most spacious drivers area. But as for seat time, Kubota has offered me to test drive the BX or the B at their place, but I haven't checked with the others yet. I will say that the Kubota dealer has been the most...customer oriented, as she saw me thinking between the BX and the B, she said, "come in and test drive both", and of course gave me one quote, and when I said too much, gave me a lesser quote saying that was the best price from the manager.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #4  
In the Kubota line, the L2501/HST is the lightest tractor I recommend for five acres and someone unfamiliar with tractors. Significantly more stable than Kubota's smaller 'B' series. Twenty-five horsepower but from a 100 cubic inch block. Much more torque, at lower RPMs, than the Bees.

LINK: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L2501.aspx

If the budget is reasonably generous, the heavy chassis, 'Grand L' Kubotas are hard to beat.

LINK: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx

You can drag pretty large tree stumps with a chain to the tractor's rear/center drawbar with most tractors. Tractors are DESIGNED to PULL.

My Kubota L3560 has the optional LA805 Loader, which will pick up 1,800 pounds. Is that enough?

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR THE FIRST TIME. ( I bought and discarded two tractors before selecting one with enough capability for my property.)

Tractors in the subcompact category, like the Kubota BX series, have only 9" of ground clearance, which is pretty limiting, and a two-range HST, rather than a three-range HST. Very slow traveling.

Last edited:
Hahahaha, if the budget is reasonably generous... Thanks for that Jeff. I should add the budget is AROUND the $25000 Canadian dollar amount, so about $19000 U.S. The wife said the $33000 Kubota B2601 was out of the question, but the BX25's price tag of $25000 was doable. Although, aside from completing a new roof and deck in the spring, if we were able to save some extra coin that could be put down on the B2601, she was willing to do that.

Sorry, I should have added that the 1800 loader capacity is more than sufficient. With that said, I am ASSUMING that the weight of the tractor, as well as the loader capacity affects how well the Root Grapple works? Although, I am not going to get an extra large tractor just for more Root/Rock ripping ability, the 1800 would probably be well over the max my tractor will ever see.

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #7  
I can't foresee any other trench digging, and was hoping that the tractor I get would have the power to lift roots of the trees in the back once the tree has been cut.

$445 THREE POINT HITCH, BOOM POLE LINK: King Kutter's Professional 2,000 lb. Lift Capacity Heavy Duty Boom Pole

VIDEO: tractor boom pole - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #8  
Sounds like you've got most of it figured out. With your acreage you don't need more than the 25 or so horsepower, but if your main focus is ground work, you want ground clearance and lift capacity. How much driveway do you have and are you sure you need a snowblower instead of handling it with the loader? I have a rear mount blower, but just because I found a deal on a used one. I'd probably be better off with a front plow.

If there is access to the root system, that looks like it would work. I would THINK the Grapple would be better at breaking them digging them out, and lifting them out at the same time. Am I wrong in thinking this?

/ Yet another new guy looking for a compact, subcompact tractor...he thinks. #10