L2900 - Opinions & things to look for?

/ L2900 - Opinions & things to look for? #1  

srr5008

Tractor
none (yet)
Long time lurker here, first time poster.

I have been looking for a compact tractor for use around my 14 acre property (mostly wooded, couple acres each of lawn and field). I'd like to put in 2 or 3 one acre food plots and plow my driveway in the winter. I have stumbled upon what I believe to be a pretty good deal, and wanted to know if anyone had any good or bad things to say about the tractor. It's a Kubota L2900 GST (32HP) with approximately 1,000 hours. It was stored indoors and looks brand new. 4WD, has a LA480 FEL and comes with a rear remote and Sims Cab & heater. The guy is asking $12,500.

Anyone have much experience with these tractors? I know that bigger is better, but my budget doesn't allow for a 40+ hp tractor at this time. Any particular pitfalls or problems that I should look for? I've only had large NH's in the past so have no experience with Kubotas or CUTs. I viewed the tractor last weekend (visually, as the owner wasn't around for me to give it a test drive) and there were no signs of leaks, dents, etc. My father in law test drove it this week, and said that everything felt pretty tight to him. I'm going this weekend to test drive it myself.

I also found a Ford 1910 with 2,000 hours for $9k, but it is in rougher shape as it was used hard by a farmer. I am leaning more towards paying more for the Kubota in the hopes that a newer, well cared for machine will last longer with fewer issues.

Any thoughts on the Kubota would be appreciated.

Steve

/ L2900 - Opinions & things to look for? #2  
We have a L3000DT purchased with 1000 hours(purchased two years ago).A very similar tractor but straight gear shift.It has been excellent,mostly used for snow removal and log hauling.We paid $9500(FEL included),paint a little weather worn,tires just o.k.
Only problem has been front wheel seals leaking;very common on this series tractor.With all included(cab and rear remotes would cost $1500-$2000) I think it's a fair price for a very nice tractor.

/ L2900 - Opinions & things to look for? #3  
Steve
I scroll thru the post 3-5 time a weekbeing a full time agronomist in Florida .Im exposed all size and make of tractors .Years past managed 7000 acres citrus with 50 various tractors large to small
Approx 9 years ago picked up a well used L2900 gst (Landcacape company)1800 hrs again rode hard put up wet
Front wheel bearings bad and leaking(bearings and seals 133$ ea side) ,loader cylinders leaking(22$percyl seals),power steering cyinder leaking 33$ sealsAll very easy and inexpensive to fix.
This little tractor now has 2600 hours on it all fairly hard ,pulling a small airblast sprayer,6 foot mower and any thing ask of it I.Have other larger tractors
but when properly siz,ed to the job my favorite
Mowing ,spraying ,any operation requiring a set speed this is perfect because when occasional need to speed up or slow occurs
just shift up or down stingy on fuel .
Should be excellent for you . have been surprised at prices on Kubota parts,very reasonable,
other brands sometimes not so much
Steve Central Florida

/ L2900 - Opinions & things to look for?
Thanks guys. Good to hear some positive reviews. One of the things that had me worried was that I wasn't seeing too much about this particular model in forums.

/ L2900 - Opinions & things to look for? #5  
My BIL purchased a L3300 last summer with a brand new never used
FEL and a front mounted snow blower for the unbelievable price of
$12,000.The tractor was stored inside and had "176 hours" on the clock.
Turf tires,only used to snow blow the original owners drive-way.
This is a 1997 model.Good buys are out there but rare.This tractor also is
similar to the L2900.

Attachments

• Larry's L3300.jpg
    Larry's L3300.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 437
   / L2900 - Opinions & things to look for? #6  
I would snag that ina heartbeat
If the tires are not loaded I would get them loaded for snowplowing tho

Rear tires are 75% or better and loaded with foam. Front tires are brand new

/ L2900 - Opinions & things to look for? #8  
Does Bota allow foam in tires with warranty?

I'm assuming the warranty wouldn't be an issue. Being a late 90's with 1,000 hours I'm assuming nothing on the tractor would be covered by a warranty?

/ L2900 - Opinions & things to look for? #10  
If the owner did regular, scheduled maintenance, that tractor should have years and thousands of hours of service left. 1000 hours is just a good start. Sometimes leaky front axles can be "fixed" by simply draining out the hydraulic oil, which Kubota says is fine, and putting in some 80w-90 gear oil, which Kubota also says is fine. If it has a SSQA, all the better! With that rear remote, you are set to clip on a front plow and use the RR to angle it as needed. Are the tires good? New rears are pricey, but if needed, and you keep the tractor for 10 years, then not so bad. I have seen a new set of R-4s for a Kubota L3400, on Kubota wheels, on eBay from a KY tire dealer for many months, priced at $1150 or so for all 4. Probably more or less the same size.