Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
These two tractors seem right-sized for my new property. I would add SSQA, front loader, and grapple. No backhoe as I have a small backhoe on my Massey SCUT I could use in a pinch. Maybe a Wallenstein skidding winch but I'm still evaluating that.

Neither are inexpensive, but I'm grappling with "high end" of a Grand L with maybe a cab also, versus "utility" for the MX5200. Normally I would not want to spend the $$$ for a cab, but it gets hot in the summer (100F) and I have 20 acres to mow with a bush hog. Slopes exist but are moderate. When I mow, I will need to do it all at once-- I can't mow a few hours in the morning when it is cool, then repeat, etc.

I don't have any seat time in either tractor. But I will soon. And I don't understand some of the added features of the Grand L because my only experience is with my Massey GC1710. So, when I go to the dealer, what things would you advise me to look for, and what questions to ask? Finally, what features or utility items do you like with each model? I know there are transmission options but I don't have the experience to evaluate if that is something that would be valuable for my needs.

Adding the cab really increases the price. But if I go with the Grand L, I would lean toward adding it. So there is a big price difference between the two models.

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #2  
Pretty similar tractors, in terms of physical size, weight, dimensions, etc. Loaders are pretty similar too as far as lift capacities. The GrandL does have a stronger 3PH.....But its not like you will ever come close to maxing out either. They will lift any implement designed for that HP machine with room to spare.

So the only real differences are gonna be luxury things. The HST on the GrandL is nicer, Seat is much nicer, and all the bells and whistles, etc. Where as the MX is more economical.

My advise would be to drive both. There is gonna be a noticeable difference in operator comfort and ergonomics. And only you can decide if the extra $$$ is worth the added comfort. Because from a capibility standpoint.....its gonna be a wash.

I would advise though, that you compare the MX5800 to the L6060 as its more apples to apples in terms of HP. Either that, or drop down to the L5060 to be a better apples to apples with the MX5200.

But given 20 acres to mow regularly, I'd go for the higher HP, and pair that with a 8' twin spindle cutter. Like a woods DS96, Landpride RC2596, bushhog 2308, or similar.

Assuming this 20 acres gets done a few times a year so it dont get real thick or dense, and assuming its smooth, a ~60HP tractor and one of the above cutters should be able to do that job in half a day. Under ideal conditions I can mow ~4-5 acres per hour with my MX5100 and DS96 combo

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #3  
The added features of the Grand L's are worth the added cost IMH0.Cab is very nice and makes an all weather machine;HST+ is also a big plus(lots of features you didn't know you needed),extendable end links are worth their weight in gold.I just turned 1,000 hours on my L4240 HSTC and it has been trouble free.

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #4  
Kubota obfuscates this, but many of us believe the 4,000 pound Grand L's and the 4,000 pound MX series share the same chassis and engine block.

The MX series are built to hit a price point in a very competitive tractor tier. The Grand Ls are, well, GRAND.

I have the smallest Grand L, a L3560, which was my second new Kubota and third tractor. I bought the L3560 at age 66 and every single day on the tractor I am glad I loosened the purse strings and spent the money. The Grand L's are easier on an aging body. Grand Ls are worth every penny, if your finances permit.

The HST+ (( HST/PLUS )) transmission is the outstanding feature on the Grand Ls. It features a wand control half-step on each of the three HST ranges, so productivity enhancing in FEL work, and Stall Guard. I often work a month without stalling the engine on my Grand L once. No competitor has an equivalent to Kubota's HST+ transmission.

(( My last Kubota was a B3300SU/HST, 33-horsepower/1,929 pounds bare tractor. I stalled the engine ten times per day doing loader work. Stall Guard on the Grand L's is great, but owners forget it is there, working.))

More controversially, I will opine that Kubota makes the most reliable HST transmissions for tractors, period. It is rare that anyone on this picky/picky forum reports Kubota HST problems.

Engine turbocharging is especially desirable at 6,000'+ altitude.

L6060 LINK: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx

Last edited:
   / Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #5  
I own the predecessor to the L6060HSTC, an L5740HSTC. My choice was driven by the necessity of a cab, breathing issues and heat, so it was a no brainer for me. LD1 pretty much covered the salient points.

The HST+ pretty much gives you six speeds rather than three with the ability to switch between high and low range in each range, H, M, L with the flick of a lever or it can be set to drop automatically among other things. However, if you've never used it, I doubt you'll ever miss it, I didn't.

You can get an air ride seat in the GL, but not MX.

As you age the "nice to have" features will tend to move up in importance.

I love my Kubota, but always encourage new buyers to shop all brands as some will be easier on the wallet and do the job, just try them all out and get the one that best fits you and your needs.

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #6  
If you go with the logging winch, I would recommend the GL model as the 3 point setup not only lifts more, it is a more substantial design that would better handle the forces applied by the winch. The MX design is adequate but not as solid as that on the GL.

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200
I have residual back, joint, and muscle pain from medical treatments I received almost 10 years ago. Have some good days, which is most of the time, but also some not very good days. That air ride seat in a cab sounds pretty seductive.

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #8  
I have residual back, joint, and muscle pain from medical treatments I received almost 10 years ago. Have some good days, which is most of the time, but also some not very good days. That air ride seat in a cab sounds pretty seductive.

I know what you mean, an air ride seat was not an option on the L5740HSTC, so with the gracious help of a good friend and $1100+, I added it to mine, worth every penny as the standard suspension seats just didn't provide a smooth enough ride for my old bones. The air conditioning allows me to enjoy tractor time in heat and cold not just tolerate it.

My youngest son is a DAV and it's a blessing to him as well.

/ Kubota GrandL 6060 or Kubota MX5200 #9  
My vote is the L6060, I am biased though as I have one. The MX seemed to me to be more utilitarian, and its priced accordingly. Someone stated that it was easier on old bodies? I agree.