Buying Advice New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else?

/ New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else? #1  

FlowRoll

Tractor
none yet
I recently bought around 4 acres that is on rolling hills (may buy another 20 behind my property soon). I am trying to determine if I should buy a tractor based on some of the projects that I want to complete on the property. I am currently in the middle of leveling a big piece of property on the side of the house for a shed and a large patio. All of this work is being done using a mini excavator that I rented. I still have some grading / compacting and some drainage work to do and am not liking how much I have to pay for renting. I have additional places that I want to level out as well close to our pond and we will be putting in some more sand there on the mini beach. I also have some trench work that needs to be done for drainage on the back of the property as well as for running electric down to the front of the property. I have a 400' driveway that is gravel. It is pretty compacted so I have only had to do a little bit of fill in certain areas with gravel but box blade would make maintenance of it easier. I have been using a zero turn for all of the lawn maintenance but a bush hog would be nice for the back field. We eventually plan on doing fruit trees and a garden on the back side of our property so a tiller would be nice for the garden. We have a lot of trees we want to plant / several that need to come down.

It seems like a tractor is one of those things that can do a little of everything with the right implements but is not great at anything. Would you all recommend a tractor and if so how do you determine the size to get. I know this isn't an easy question to answer but I thought I would start scanning the forum for advice.

Thanks,
FlowRoll

/ New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else? #2  
I agree on the doing a little of everything but not great at anything. It sounds like a brush hog and box blade will do most of what you are wanting to do.

How hard/rocky is your soil? A PHD on a 3 point works OK for some situations but for hard ground they are almost worthless as there is no down pressure. They are also tough on rocky soil if you get jammed as there is not way to reverse direction on the auger.

I have had pretty good luck buying equipment to use for projects and then selling it later. Seems to be quite a bit cheaper than renting if you can handle the maintenance/repairs.

/ New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else?
"How hard/rocky is your soil? A PHD on a 3 point works OK for some situations but for hard ground they are almost worthless as there is no down pressure. They are also tough on rocky soil if you get jammed as there is not way to reverse direction on the auger."

We have a couple inches of topsoil underlain by clay then at around 2' - 5' we hit shale. Most of the leveling I am doing does not require going into the shale. I do want to build a garage into a hill eventually but that would require getting into the shale and would likely be hired out.

/ New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else? #4  
It seems like a tractor is one of those things that can do a little of everything with the right implements but is not great at anything.

My, Oh my!

Tractors are designed to PULL. The primary tasks for tractors are performed from the (rear) Three Point Hitch and its associated Power Take Off (PTO).

Tractor Three Point Hitch: Since 1955 when Harry Ferguson's patents on the Three Point Hitch expired, no one has invented anything superior to the Three Point Hitch and Ferguson's design has become standard world wide.

Secondary tractor tasks are performed with the Front End Loader (FEL) bucket, tertiary tasks are performed from the rear/center drawbar, mostly dragging.

All the tasks you have outlined are traditional tractor tasks for which refined implements and attachments are readily available.

For four acres of sloped ground you could use quite a small tractor, however I recommend a moderately heavier, wider, more stable small tractor like the Kubota L2501/HST, especially if this will be your first tractor operating experience. You might get by for a time with an L2501 for twenty-four acres ~~~~. To further stability on hills and slopes, order the rear tires filled with a freeze-resistant liquid.

I would recommend a Ratchet Rake as your first bucket attachment and perhaps a Three Point Hitch Subsoiler as your first implement, for trenching, and underground water line and electric cable installations. Teamed, the Ratchet Rake and a Subsoiler will carry you awhile, in the tasks you have outlined, with minimal financial outlay.

KUBOTA L2501: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L2501.aspx

T-B-N Threads L2501: Google

SUBSOILER VIDEOS: Keylining Pasture with a Sub-soiler - YouTube

How to Use a Subsoiler - YouTube

RATCHET RAKE: Google

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 122
  • DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 177
  • DSC00395.jpg
    DSC00395.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 142
  • DSC00403.jpg
    DSC00403.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 134
  • DSC00360.jpg
    DSC00360.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
  • DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
  • DSC00147.jpg
    DSC00147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • DSC00313.jpg
    DSC00313.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
  • DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 123
  • DSC00268.jpg
    DSC00268.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
   / New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else? #5  
Most of the leveling I am doing does not require going into the shale. I want to build a garage into a hill eventually but that would require getting into the shale and would likely be hired out.

Wise.

/ New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else? #6  
>
>
>
Re: New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else?

Such as ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~?

/ New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else? #7  
Welcome to TBN. Patiently watch this thread. You'll get some great ideas. Understand that 4 acres is just a big yard to most posters here. :)

Welcome to TBN. Patiently watch this thread. You'll get some great ideas. Understand that 4 acres is just a big yard to most posters here. :)

Haha, I assumed that when I bought the place. I bought a zero turn and it cuts great for most of the area and I have a walk behind for the really steep areas. I just started getting into some of the earthwork and was hating renting something when I know there are more economical ways to get what I want done. I have been looking into tractors and implements and also looking at used backhoes / skidsteers. It may be best for me to buy something used and sell it on the back end for the leveling work... and get a smaller tractor for everything else.

Thanks jeff for all the information!!

/ New Land Owner; should I buy a tractor, something else? #10  
"How hard/rocky is your soil? A PHD on a 3 point works OK for some situations but for hard ground they are almost worthless as there is no down pressure. They are also tough on rocky soil if you get jammed as there is not way to reverse direction on the auger."

We have a couple inches of topsoil underlain by clay then at around 2' - 5' we hit shale. Most of the leveling I am doing does not require going into the shale. I do want to build a garage into a hill eventually but that would require getting into the shale and would likely be hired out.

I think I was imagining the PHD being used to plant trees. They work really well for this purpose.

Might look at alternatives like the power trac
Versatile Tractors,Compact Tractors,Trailer Packages,Landscaping,Utility Vehicle Rentals,Mowers-Power Trac

Or for more digging work one of the little terramite or allmand backhoes you see at rental yards might be something you can buy and use for a while then sell for close to what you paid for it. They can be bought quite inexpensively.