Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest)

/ Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest) #1  

sinthome

Tractor
none
Hi, I am looking for a tractor, primarily as a better option than my John Deere Gator 6x4 for transporting a loaded trailer on steeply sloped terrain. As long as I am upgrading, I'd also like it to perform other tasks, firstly brush cutting and then wood chipping, followed by lifting/moving 2,000# pallets and scooping dirt. Another thing that is guiding my decision is that I am pretty committed to reducing soil compaction as much as possible. The Gator is perfect for this and it is proving hard to find a tractor that even comes close. So far, my choices (ranked from cheapest to most expensive) appear to be--

-sticking with the Gator, no additional capabilities, but maybe increasing stability with dual wheels to the rear (posted about this idea here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/371934-duals-6x4-gator.html#post4607601)
-an antique lo-boy compact tractor, wide turf tires or duals
-a newer compact tractor with added spacers and hopefully swapping the wheels for turfs or maybe duals
-or a used Power Trac (PT-1430 or PT-1850).

I will probably burn up the belt and clutch on the Gator if I keep working it too hard.. so maybe that isn't ultimately the cheapest option.

I found THIS at an auction that I am curious about--

TractorHouse.com | 1965 INTERNATIONAL 2424 For Sale
International 2424 Lo-Boy | Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Any idea what the final selling price might be? I am worried that the collectors might get in on it and push it out of my budget. I also wonder how practical of a daily tractor it would be.. I've never owned any multiple decades old farm equipment before.

Are there newer models that could be set up this way safely? I have been hunting for a similar set of wheels but can't find anything this wide.

What is the best 30-40hp tractor candidate for lowering/duals/axle spacers? Ideally something HST and not more then 15 years old?

Other options? I'd love to hear about them!

/ Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest) #2  
I had a lo-boy. Loved that tractor. Huge turf tires were very easy on the grass, but it's weight and tire size gave me great traction to pull felled tree's without issue. It mowed like a champ with a 60" woods belly mower. Always started easily, and worked hard, but was a bit thirsty compared to my ferguson. Good turning radius, solid transmission, bulletproof engine. Underside was always dry, never leaked a drop of oil. Mine was a gas, i'd go diesel if you have the option.

Don't have much input on newer machines, i'm more of an old tractor guy. Typically if it's been running for 40 years, and well cared for, it'll run for 40 more. Minor things might go, but it's never been something significant for me. More like maintenance. I had to replace the hoses on my TLB last year, $500 and a day's work, but now i have all new hoses. I change my fluids in the fall, and that alone seems to keep everything running well.

/ Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest) #3  
   / Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest)
Is there a good primer to owning a tractor almost as old as my parents? I feel pretty ignorant, but I guess they are simple enough machines.

But, I am wondering for example what the 2ft lift capacity might be on that Lo-Boy 3PH. Could it easily carry a 1,000# chipper or a 4x5 round bale? How about responsiveness of a FEL, does the age significantly affect hydraulics performance?

A deal-breaker for my purposes might be the lack of 4wd and poor downhill braking ability. And another problem is just finding suitable antique tractors! There is no simple keyword to search for and 90% of the time posts on enthusiast forums are the only results.

Last edited:
   / Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest)
Hmmm... I still don't see anything coming in under 2 tons, which is what I want. If I search "smallest low profile tractor", nothing but Italy comes up (ie outside the budget). Those 5 ton orchard tractors are just way too much tractor for my needs.

Another strategy that I am investigating-- what newer 4wd compact tractor could I get a set of these onto? They also need 18in rims--

21.5L16.1 Firestone Turf and Field Tractor Tire (1 Ply) (TL)

/ Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest) #9  
I think I found a Ford 531 LCG--
Ford 531 Low Profile Utility Tractor - Steve Conley Sales - Duluth, Minnesota - Used Machinery and Farm Equipment

Still not 4wd.. not sure if that is a huge problem or not.

That will be a nice tractor for some things,,, but,,,
the tractor will pull,,, but it is not equipped to lift. A tractor for me must lift,,, period.

So,,,
1) How do you lift 2,000 pound pallets?

2) NEVER point that tractor down a grade,,, that you will have to back up,,, it will not do that,,, EVER.

3) No loader,,, no sale,,, IMHO.....

I live in about the same mountains as you do,,, my 584 with FWA & loader is perfect.
Lift 2,000#,,, back up a steep hill,,, I have reclaimed many tons of stone frome the mountain behind my house with it.

DSC_00091024x681.jpg

/ Mountain Tractor Choices (hills, slopes, pasture, forest) #10  
Hi, I am looking for a tractor, primarily as a better option than my John Deere Gator 6x4 for transporting a loaded trailer on steeply sloped terrain. As long as I am upgrading, I'd also like it to perform other tasks, firstly brush cutting and then wood chipping, followed by lifting/moving 2,000# pallets and scooping dirt. Another thing that is guiding my decision is that I am pretty committed to reducing soil compaction as much as possible. The Gator is perfect for this and it is proving hard to find a tractor that even comes close. So far, my choices (ranked from cheapest to most expensive) appear to be--

-sticking with the Gator, no additional capabilities, but maybe increasing stability with dual wheels to the rear (posted about this idea here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/371934-duals-6x4-gator.html#post4607601)
-an antique lo-boy compact tractor, wide turf tires or duals
-a newer compact tractor with added spacers and hopefully swapping the wheels for turfs or maybe duals
-or a used Power Trac (PT-1430 or PT-1850).

I will probably burn up the belt and clutch on the Gator if I keep working it too hard.. so maybe that isn't ultimately the cheapest option.

I found THIS at an auction that I am curious about--

TractorHouse.com | 1965 INTERNATIONAL 2424 For Sale
International 2424 Lo-Boy | Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Any idea what the final selling price might be? I am worried that the collectors might get in on it and push it out of my budget. I also wonder how practical of a daily tractor it would be.. I've never owned any multiple decades old farm equipment before.

Are there newer models that could be set up this way safely? I have been hunting for a similar set of wheels but can't find anything this wide.

What is the best 30-40hp tractor candidate for lowering/duals/axle spacers? Ideally something HST and not more then 15 years old?

Other options? I'd love to hear about them!
1st- what's your price cap?