Buying Advice LS XU6168C & Massey Ferguson 2607H

/ LS XU6168C & Massey Ferguson 2607H #1  

billrogers184

Tractor
MF231S & MF 135
I am very close to purchasing a tractor and have narrowed it down to a Massey Ferguson 2607H or a LS XU6168C non-power shuttle, Both will have 4WD, loader and hay spear. Primary use is to pull a Massey Ferguson 1745 round baler (3720 lbs empty, up to ~5K with full 4 X 5 bale) on 100% completely flat land, up to 3 times a year, producing 300 round rolls max per year. Loader will be primarily used for stacking these rolls of hay. Secondary use of tractor will be to pull 6 foot bush hog on 15 acres of gently rolling hills, 2 times a year. I will also use the tractor with a 7' disc mower, pull behind 2 basket tedder and a bar rake. Tractor will be stored in barn.

The mentionable differences that I have found are: LS has a better warranty offering the first 2 yrs as a bumper to bumper parts and labor (so I've been told by dealer but will confirm in writing before making a decision). Years 3 - 5 are like MF warranty. LS PTO can lift 1300 lbs more and loader can lift 500 lbs more than the MF 2607H. LS is a 4 cylinder and also offers the cab model (with more features than I would use) for nearly the same price as the MF open station. Mowing hay in a cab would be easy on the allergies. The MF 2607H is a 3 cylinder and has these advantages over the LS: The MF 2607H rear and front axles are much more heavily built. I reviewed many videos on different axles types with tractor comparisons and the MF has a very good argument of being at the top. The MF also has 6 more HP and 4 more PTO HP than the LS, no DPF filter and has a CAT 1 & 2 ball for the PTO hookups which would be handy. MF has a rated RPM for 540 PTO is 2000 versus 2500 on the LS.

I can really not find any bad reviews on LS, only some issues described as owner errors and LS fixing quickly. I have an LS dealer within 30 mins and 2 MF dealers within 1 hour. The LS dealer has been selling them for 7 years and has been in business 16 yrs. The MF dealers have been in business 20+ yrs.

My question is does anyone have any knowledge of using a LS XU6168(C) (or XU6158(C)) for small hay operations? Can it handle the tasks I need it for? For what I'm using the tractor for and the conditions the tractor will be in makes me think I will be fine with either the LS XU6168C and probably would not need the heavy duty capabilities of the MF axles. The ability to get into a cab for a bit more would be nicer over the long run. I can't justify or afford a MF cab for what I'm doing.

Any opinions, experiences and info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / LS XU6168C & Massey Ferguson 2607H #2  
You seem to be some what concerned about the HP difference and the axle size. Have you considered a P series LS?

And for sure get a cab, you'll be much happier in the long run. :thumbsup:

/ LS XU6168C & Massey Ferguson 2607H
I feel like most of the comparisons are not enough to sway me one way or another. The main draw to the LS is the cab platform and warranty is better in the first 2 years. I can't really justify spending more than 30ish on a new tractor and the P series is gets past my wallet. My main curiosity is if anyone has any experience with these tractors pulling hay equipment and stacking round bales of hay. I'd be open to a used tractor but it seems everyone wants within a few thousand dollars of a new tractor for anything 10yrs old and 1K+ hours.

/ LS XU6168C & Massey Ferguson 2607H #4  
I've run a XU5065 cab with 16x16 powershuttle, and liked it a lot. Only mechanical difference vs your XU6168 may be the new LS manf. engine with higher PTO HP and the non PS transmission. It'll definitely need loaded rear tires or counterweight on 3PH for big bales, but think it'd handle every task mentioned well except two:

1) max. loader height is generally lower than avg. for their class on the XU and XR series, so stacking doubles on a trailer or dumping into a tall spreader or truck could leave you wanting more lift height. Tradeoff seems to be excellent max. weight capacity.
2) PLENTY of power running 6' cutters, but they barely or don't quite cover the rear track depending on tire selection/wheel offset.
Bushings work just fine on Cat 1 pins, but I do like the MF way of doing those 2 way Cat 1/2 balls.

Cab models "feel" a bit top heavy on slopes... be sure to demo if you can to make sure you're comfortable on the types of grades you have. Never had a problem, so it could just be me. Not sure if a hay cutter would unsettle balance badly, but have driven with a backhoe turned sideways and no problems.

A couple gripes: some electric gremlins appeared after 2 years, the fuel tank is vulnerable altho easy to fill, no parking brake buzzer in my model and you have to split tractor to replace/adjust (very easy to drive off with the brake handle up), range selector and 4WD disengage can be tempermental, and that's about it.

One other thing, NC is LS' main U.S. hub for tractors and parts, so that might be an advantage. They may still have a new XU5065 without the DPF, but it will be down a few PTO HP vs the 6168 and it is powershuttle only.

I am very close to purchasing a tractor and have narrowed it down to a Massey Ferguson 2607H or a LS XU6168C non-power shuttle, Both will have 4WD, loader and hay spear. Primary use is to pull a Massey Ferguson 1745 round baler (3720 lbs empty, up to ~5K with full 4 X 5 bale) on 100% completely flat land, up to cab model (with more features than I would use) for nearly the same price as the MF open station. Mowing hay in a cab would be easy on the allergies. The MF 2607H is a 3 cylinder and has these advantages over the LS: The MF 2607H rear and front axles are much more heavily built. I reviewed many videos on different axles types with tractor comparisons and the MF has a very good argument of being at the top. The MF also has 6 more HP and 4 more PTO HP than the LS, no DPF filter and has a CAT 1 & 2 ball for the PTO hookups which would be handy. MF has a rated RPM for 540 PTO is 2000 versus 2500 on the LS.

/ LS XU6168C & Massey Ferguson 2607H #5  
You really need to research the history of Mahindra and their dealership network.\

It's truly eyeopening and appalling.

Your local dealer might be different but what makes your tractor head and shoulders above the rest is
it's dealer.

I know, for a fact, that Mahindra can't stand up to the prices LS is selling their equipment.

As for our family, I bought more attachments and a third function switch @ the joy stick with the
money we saved.