Comparison Questioning NH TC29D's power

/ Questioning NH TC29D's power #1  

WVTC29D

Tractor
Tc29d
I have had my tractor (a NH TC 29D) for awhile and have always thought it should have more power. but never questioned it until my Dad bought a Kubota B3200. My tractor should have 29hp compared to his 32hp. I know he has another cylinder on me 3 to his 4, but his tractor seems to have twice the hp that mine does. Now I'm questioning whether mine should have more power, and if something's wrong.
Anyone have any thoughts?

/ Questioning NH TC29D's power #2  
Welcome to TBN. I'm about to send you a private message. Check it when you get a chance.

Perhaps a good first step would be to find a dealer with a dyno. They can tell you how much power your TC is making at the PTO (should be about 23.5 IIRC).

I have the same tractor, and to me, mine feels pretty zippy. But, that's in comparison to my bigger heavier tractor that wears a loader. My TC doesn't have a loader, so it just feels a little less weighed down, and seems to have a little more HP per pound. Now I'm not positive about this, but I think it's possible to "turn up the pump" on these models. I think that's the difference between the 29 and the 33 (I could be totally wrong though, it's also possible that you'd need to swap injectors or something else). In that case, a mechanic, or man armed with a screwdriver could probably get you a few more HP.

Anyway, mine's been a great tractor, and I hope you get yours figured out.

One other thing, though. Your TC weights about 7-800 HP more than that B3200. So, if yours feels underpowered in comparison, that makes sense, especially if you mean that it feels underpowered driving up a hill for example. The power difference while using PTO implements should be less pronounced. Anyway, if you want to feel better about it, hook up a chain between the two drawbars and see who wins. :)

/ Questioning NH TC29D's power #3  
Engine power could be an issue along with weight difference in the tractors. The New Holland is heavier by over 800# according to Tractor Data. I can't verify that weight discrepancy. I did previously own a 1720 which is a tad bigger than your 29. My 1720 had 27 HP and the power to weight ration was fine. I think that with loaded rears I was a little north of 3300# and with my FEL I was over 4000#. I would take the tractor to a good diesel mechanic and check it out.

/ Questioning NH TC29D's power #4  
First welcome to TBN. :welcome: More power when? If you were drag racing remember your tractor is somewhere around 15 years old, has 10% less HP, and as others have said weights 800# more. If you were in a pulling contest that 800# would be an advantage getting the HP to the ground, less wheel spin. Also gearing will play into the comparison. The only way to know if you have a HP problem is a dyno. If it does everything you need it to do I wouldn't spend the money on a dyno test.

I would however trade it in on a tractor bigger than my dad's tractor. :laughing:

/ Questioning NH TC29D's power
Where I notice it is driving up hills either mowing or unloaded. The Kubota can go up certain hills in high range where the NH would have to be in low, or struggle in mid range.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Questioning NH TC29D's power #6  
Where I notice it is driving up hills either mowing or unloaded. The Kubota can go up certain hills in high range where the NH would have to be in low, or struggle in mid range.

That sounds pretty normal to me. Definitely need a dyno to find out if there's a problem. Does he have fluid filled tires? Do you?

/ Questioning NH TC29D's power
Thanks for all the replies. After driving the Kubota again I am inclined to think it might be the governor action. You can tell when his is picking up, but mine not any, and never really had since new.( this is my first diesel tractor and nothing else to compare it to). I am thinking I will try to see if a guy I know who used to work at a NH dealer might work on it, or take it back to my dealer which is 1 1/2 hours away.