Buying Advice Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done?

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #11  
I don't know how dense your property is but having been recently select cut I imagine you'll be dealing with smaller trees and can work around the larger ones. We have about 50 acres of woods and cut our trails using a saw, brush cutter attachment on a hand held trimmer, and ATV, and found it wasn't that difficult (I inserted a few pics of ours). Like you we concentrated on one to get us across the stream to the far side of the property first then cut in a perimeter trail along with a couple other trails. Was able to lay out the trails around rock outcroppings and between most larger trees 12" and up so it mostly consisted of cutting smaller trees and brush. It goes pretty quick since you don't need to move the stuff you're cutting other than to the side. I would think by this time next year you could have the one across your property along with a couple others done by working the occasional weekend on them.

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done?
I know my current tractor will not operate that Marshall saw. I was talking about upgrading my tractor. But looking at the pump size needed, I'm not sure that a tractor would have a pump big enough to run that saw. It's looking more and more like I ought to just hire the guy. $2000 would get me 20 hours of work and at the rate of cutting I'm seeing in those videos, I can't think that it would take more than that.

I sure wish I could afford a skid steer along with my tractor. I would for sure buy one of those saws.

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done?
In looking at your photos, I would saw that my woods are a bit thicker than yours.

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #14  
My vote is to hire the man with the dozer. I would first walk the area where I wanted the ATV trails and pick the route with the smallest amount of big stumps to get out of the way. I would also have an alternate route selected in the event something happened during establishing the primary ATV trail. Also look for the old logging road used by the people who timbered the land.

Something to consider........Contact the local Sheriffs Department and find out if they are or have in the past received a large number complaints of ATV riders on someone else's property. Also discuss with an Attorney what civil liability you will be exposing yourself to with a unsupervised and constantly monitored ATV trail that anyone could easily access.

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #15  
I know my current tractor will not operate that Marshall saw. I was talking about upgrading my tractor. But looking at the pump size needed, I'm not sure that a tractor would have a pump big enough to run that saw. It's looking more and more like I ought to just hire the guy. $2000 would get me 20 hours of work and at the rate of cutting I'm seeing in those videos, I can't think that it would take more than that.

I sure wish I could afford a skid steer along with my tractor. I would for sure buy one of those saws.

If you can upgrade tractors, there are tree shears made for tractors: three point tree shear - Google Search

dcp01700.jpg

rts.jpg

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #16  
Man you guys like to spend money!!! Wish you were my neighbors. I'd gladly open ATV trails for $100 per hour. Actually I'd be a good Grandpa and let my Grandsons jave the jobs. I could serve as overseer!!! :) :)

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #17  
That Marshall tree saw looks like a good way to screw up a tractor and probably kill yourself. I use a backhoe to push them over. Tree are so unpredictable and sawing limbs with an open cab is asking for trouble

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #18  
That Marshall tree saw looks like a good way to screw up a tractor and probably kill yourself. I use a backhoe to push them over. Tree are so unpredictable and sawing limbs with an open cab is asking for trouble

I agree. It's intended use is for a skid steer with a fully enclosed forestry cab for protection.

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #19  
Man you guys like to spend money!!! Wish you were my neighbors. I'd gladly open ATV trails for $100 per hour. Actually I'd be a good Grandpa and let my Grandsons jave the jobs. I could serve as overseer!!! :) :)

I can't believe this is even a question at 33yrs old & $100/HR for some ATV/hunting trails. I'm 43 and there's no way I'd hire it out.
Grab the saw and get at it, It goes a lot quicker than you think. If some of the stumps bother you, grind them, rent a mini-ex or wait for them to rot. My grandpa from Mo. would drill holes in some big stumps and pack them with rock salt. Between the critters scraping and digging for the salt and the rot....The big 20" stumps only needed a push after a few seasons to make them flush. .

/ Bought 100 Acres. Upgrade my tractor or hire some work done? #20  
I can't believe this is even a question at 33yrs old & $100/HR for some ATV/hunting trails. I'm 43 and there's no way I'd hire it out.
Grab the saw and get at it, It goes a lot quicker than you think. If some of the stumps bother you, grind them, rent a mini-ex or wait for them to rot. My grandpa from Mo. would drill holes in some big stumps and pack them with rock salt. Between the critters scraping and digging for the salt and the rot....The big 20" stumps only needed a push after a few seasons to make them flush. .

If there are big trees in the way, just deviate the path a few feet. Who is going to see it, the squirrels? Straight paths are boring anyway. Just pick the easiest route and saw away.