Buying Advice JD 40 series tractor for trail jobs

/ JD 40 series tractor for trail jobs #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
I'm not sure exactly where this should be posted, but here goes in the buying, comparison section.

We are looking to purchase a 4044 or 52hp compact tractor from J Deere for doing various trail jobs we need done. We have a JD dealer nearby we'd like to use plus we can get it at 18% off because we'll purchase it through a state contract. The discount applies to accessories as well. Service is also very important to us.

The jobs it needs to do would in part be; minor dirt leveling, gravel loading and leveling, push slash, backhoe trenching, pull stumps, move rocks and mow etc, etc. Accessories for this tractor would be, at least at this time.

JD backhoe,
4-in-one bucket (of course a loader, the quick release type)
ripper tooth (sub soiler)
back blade
posthole auger
and a 6ft rough cut 3 point mower. We are currently looking at a medium duty Woods for that implement.

I may have overlooked some implements...

What do you folks think?? Is there anything we have overlooked? We have already began raising funds for this project so we need to get our ducks in a row...

Arlyn Aronson
Chief of bottle washing, Keweenaw Nordic Ski Club, Hancock MI

Last edited:
   / JD 40 series tractor for trail jobs #2  
That sounds like it would be a good deal to me. The tractor would be about the right size for the jobs described. JDs are great ergonomically for use and they hold their value pretty well.

/ JD 40 series tractor for trail jobs
Thanks dude!. Maybe I should add, we had contemplated a 30 series for some time but decided that the extra lift capacity of the 40 was worth its extra cost and weight, for what we hoped to do with it. Oh and we're getting a HST transmission with it.

/ JD 40 series tractor for trail jobs #4  
I'll 2nd, good choice:thumbsup:

We've thought about a 30 compact series as well and found them very similar, just slightly smaller footprint and lighter in weight.. But its lift capacity much, much lower. What to do!!!??!!?? Nothing is perfect.

/ JD 40 series tractor for trail jobs #6  
We've thought about a 30 compact series as well and found them very similar, just slightly smaller footprint and lighter in weight.. But its lift capacity much, much lower. What to do!!!??!!?? Nothing is perfect.

I have a 45HP 3720 and what model that translated to now I don't know. I have Rimgard loaded tires and when dealing with trees I put a weight box on. I have 48" forks and can pick up 3 10-12' 12" or larger oaks and run with it. It will not pick up a 6 or 8' 36" fresh oak, I don.t remember which, but I was able to hook a chain around and hook it to the bucket and carry it but only an inch or two off the ground. Down the road I went. But that size for me us unusual.

I have a 6' frontier mid range box blade and can pull that thing full even with dirt coming over the top and pushing into the rear tires.

I use a 84" RFM and works super, but could get by with a 30 HP for that.

I do not have a backhoe for it so I can't comment on that.
I don't know how much backhoeing you plan to do, but everything else on your list the smaller size should work quite well.

I chose mine over a 4720 at the time, partly because of the price, partly because of I love the way they sound, partly because I have had Yanmar motors seemingly forever and and am convinced they are super motors. The 4720 motors may be better for all I know.

Now that I had it for 6 years, I don't regret the decision I made. But, I would take a 4720 also and would cherish it.
The only clinker may be how much you plan on using the backhoe. If it will be used a lot, and everything else will work well with both tractors, I would probably pick the larger one. If used seldom, then the smaller tractor.

You have a tough decision. Good luck. I don't thing you can go wrong either way.

Thanks for the responses guys. We are raising the $$$ for this purchase now.