Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I just learned a very concerning source of fishing phone calls resulting from checks on your credit.

I started applying for a mortgage last week. 3 days after the phone calls started coming in from fishers proportioning to represent other mortgage companies to solicit a loan. The last one said they were from Experian (the credit bureau). In quizzing him he stated that Experian is also in the Mortgage business. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, at that point he hung up.

Some internet searching revealed that they are not even a US company. They are headquartered in Ireland (the home of a lot of scam deals). Also there is a lot negative reports on the internet about their business practices which indicates they are less than an honest business. They are the only credit bureau of the three that charges for a credit report and they scam a lot of people with their subscription service.

Beware is all I can say.

Ron

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #2  
It's real bad once you make the list... poor Mom get inundated with robo calls... mortgage, credit cars, furnace and carpet cleaning, etc...

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #3  
OMG.. I know what you mean.. I bought a new car last month on the 26th.. now, everyday atleast 6 calls from telemarketers.. EVERYDAY.!!!

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #4  
You do realize you have no obligation to answer your phone.

The fear of "missing something" runs strong in today's "gotta know" society.

If it's important, they will call back.

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #5  
Don't worry about it Mates... I have a Prince in Nigeria that owes me a favour.

You're covered! ;)

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #6  
You do realize you have no obligation to answer your phone.

The fear of "missing something" runs strong in today's "gotta know" society.

If it's important, they will call back.

Not a problem for me...

Mom and the older generation not so easy...

If the phone rings they will answer and many do not have or want an answering machine... different generation.

Growing up the phone was "Only" for business and no chit-chat... answer by identifying yourself and always polite... or so it was.

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #7  
I get calls a lot, if there not registered in my phone I don't answer them, if they don't leave a message, they don't get a call back.

I have a work phone forwarded to my personal phone and it gets enough telemarketers calling it, idk how they got my work phone number but what ever so all work and personal contacts are in my phone.

Around here people were spamming people saying there the IRS and need a payment ASAP, I know one or two that fell for that one, lost quite a lot of money too.

After I bought my house businesses that I have never done business with started mailing me, bed bath and beyond is one of the worse, never shopped there ever but biweekly I get offers and coupons. I get piles of mail that is just junk, nothing of any importance and just gets put in the trash.

I finally was out by the mailbox one day when the illusive van rolled up that leaves the plastic bag full of coupons on my mailbox, I asked them who I have to talk to not to bet that bag of coupons anymore, they said us, so I said I no longer want them lol, never got one since, that was over a year ago.

Spammers are everywhere, offers, free gags, discounts, promotions and BOGO lol

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #8  
Yep... poor mom got a call saying her car would be repossessed unless she immediately made a credit card payment of $299 and thankfully she said the person would have to talk to her son...

I was in surgery (work) so she could not reach me.

Mom went out to her car and took out all of her personal items... gloves, umbrella, rain coat, etc... and was quite distraught.

I reminded her that she paid cash for her car, there was nothing to repo and if it was taken she is fully insured...

She just broke down in tears as to why do people do things like this and said she is sorry for me since she is no longer the smart person she was... for decades Mom was a charge nurse and ran PACU at a local Hospital and most respected...

Keep telling her it is not rude not to answer the phone or to hang up on strangers...

I had to get rid of her credit cards and put her on my account... this way, no matter where I am I can call in as account holder to deal with issues.

The IRS one has even had her neighbors calling me at work because they too have got the same phone call... immediate payment or an arrest warrant will be issued or Microsoft saying your computer is causing an area outage and they need immediate access to contain... happened to another elderly friend...

The world has plenty of liers, cheaters, scammers and those that would like nothing better than to steal from little old ladies.

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #9  
Yep... poor mom got a call saying her car would be repossessed unless she immediately made a credit card payment of $299 and thankfully she said the person would have to talk to her son...

I was in surgery (work) so she could not reach me.

Mom went out to her car and took out all of her personal items... gloves, umbrella, rain coat, etc... and was quite distraught.

I reminded her that she paid cash for her car, there was nothing to repo and if it was taken she is fully insured...

She just broke down in tears as to why do people do things like this and said she is sorry for me since she is no longer the smart person she was... for decades Mom was a charge nurse and ran PACU at a local Hospital and most respected...

Keep telling her it is not rude not to answer the phone or to hang up on strangers...

I had to get rid of her credit cards and put her on my account... this way, no matter where I am I can call in as account holder to deal with issues.

The IRS one has even had her neighbors calling me at work because they too have got the same phone call... immediate payment or an arrest warrant will be issued or Microsoft saying your computer is causing an area outage and they need immediate access to contain... happened to another elderly friend...

The world has plenty of liers, cheaters, scammers and those that would like nothing better than to steal from little old ladies.

Wow,
that stuff is no joke, smart what you did with your moms finances. Another one I see that gets elderly people a lot is fake contractors going door to door saying they noticed there roof and driveway is in poor shape, they will fix there driveway or replace there roof but they have to give them half up front, you would be amazed at how many fall for that, they pay thousands and the people disappear

/ Fraud Alert when Applying for Credit #10  
Yes, there is a special place in **** reserved for those that prey on the elderly!