Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive?

/ Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive? #1  

hayden

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 cab + FEL, KX121, KX080
I'm a big fan of hydrostatic drive tractors. I just love the precise, infinite speed control, and easy shuttling back and forth when doing loader and other work. I also love my Kubota L5740, which the the largest HST tractor Kubota made at the time.

But I'm now managing close to 1400 acres of land, mostly woodlot, plus probably 20 acres of fields that get mowed a couple of times a year. And several miles of logging roads/trails that need to be kept clear. And our "driveway" is 1/2 mile and requires a LOT of snow removal, now done with a 74" snow blower.

So I've been wondering about bigger tractors, but I'm really thinking I only want HST drive. Kubota now offer the L6060, but it's only a touch bigger than the L5740 - not enough to make a difference, I don't think. But what else is there? I see a couple of the M series tractors are available in HST, but they are smaller than the 5740 - essentially no-frills models of equivalent size. Does anyone make a tractor in the 70-100hp range with hydrostatic drive?

I did spot the new Kubota M7 series, and they have an infinitely variable ratio transmission which sounds like it would accomplish the same thing - maybe - as HST. Does anyone know more about them? They appear very targeted at agriculture, but I have no idea what that actually means and how it makes a tractor different from any other, other than perhaps bigger. The other cool thing I saw, I think on the M7, was a front 3-point hitch and PTO in addition to the usual rear PTO. Just think of the snow blower I could put on the front of one of those machines?

/ Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive? #2  
We're after the same ghost!

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything that has HST/CVT in the mid sized utility range.

I won't be surprised if you start seeing them in the next couple years though. The last few years have all been concentrated on meeting the tier 4 emissions requirements. Now that it's all behind us, the manufacturers can concentrate more on the things consumers want to spend their money on. I think there is a good demand for utility sized tractors not engaged purely in farm work these days.

Hopefully soon.

/ Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive?
I would hope so too. Technologically I can't see any reason why it can't be done. My D5 dozer was all hydrostatic drive, so it's not like there is a power limit blocking its use in mid-range tractors.

/ Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive? #4  
New Holland TV series, 4wd articulated, hydrostatic. Think 105 PTO HP?

/ Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive? #5  
International 100 hydro

/ Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive? #7  
Fendt and John Deere both make tractors (there may be other makes) in the hp range your asking about that have IVT (infinitely variable transmission) transmissions. John Deere's is 80% mechanical and 20% hydrostatic in the power transmission. I don't know how Fendt does theirs. They feel almost exactly like a hydrostatic but with better fuel efficiencies. This might be a better solution for you than a hydrostatic transmission.

IHC tractors had a 20% higher hp engine in the hydrostatic models just to get the same hp to the rear wheels.

/ Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive?
   / Biggest tractor with hydrostatic drive? #10  
That's a really interesting tractor. But I don't understand a hand control for fwd/rev rather than a peddle. How do you operate a loader like that? One hand on the loader control, one hand on the fwd/rev control, and one hand on the wheel? I must be missing something.

The buttons on the end of the hand control are for the fel I believe. The other levers are for the "rear" hydraulics. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.