Buying Advice Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST?

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #11  
I have a Mahindra 3016 I will admit to having only ~150hrs on it however I have not had one single mechanical issue with it.
It's been very forgiving with my over zealousness on some projects.

I've broken two things but each was my own fault. A branch cracked my front grill when I was clearing some land. I've also broken the little divider fingers on the gear selector.
"Mine is a shuttle shift". I will admit they could have been better designed but a small thing to complain about. The things I've been able to do with it have made a huge change in my life. I pick my logs up and stage them for cutting so no more back braking hunched over the log pile cutting. I put my rounds on a pallet and lift them to the wood splitter just have to roll them on the pallets. Biggest snow shovel I've ever used. When it's enough snow it powers a rear mounted snow thrower. I love this machine!

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST?
Laderbuilt,

How do you like the rear snow blower? What size/model do you have. This is one of the items I someday plan to add to this tractor. Just a little weird having a rear mount. I frequently use my walk behind snow blower to clear a path in my yard for firewood transport. Have you ever used this on grass? Want to remove the snow, not the grass.

Thanks!

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #13  
I like the rear mounted blower a lot
I have a Woods sb64?? I think is the model number.
In all honesty a front mounted snow thrower is ideal from an operation point of view.
Now with that out of the way I'd never own a front mount! First is cost. They cost substantially more money. Second cost. They cost you time in setting it up and taking it off it is way more time involved then the rear mount. Third cost is work. By having the rear mount I get to keep the loader attached. So I can back drag the snow away from the buildings or obstacles turn around and blow it away! Or dig up a pile of snow that the town pushes on to a corner of my property/driveway and blocks my view of the road. I swear they started doing it just because they've seen my setup. Plus if your stuck you again still have the loader to help get you out.
I have an outdoor wood boiler and I clear a LARGE! Portion of my yard with the snow blower. All I do is raise the skids on the blower to give me approx 3/8-1/2" of a clearance from the cutting edge to the ground takes about 5 min "in actuality I've left it that way all the time" and away I go. I do gouge the lawn in some spots with the skids not the main cutting edge but only when doing hard turns. Come spring they disappear. I've never "eaten" my lawn and blown it away. So no worries there. I'll attach a pic if possible.
IMG_3517.JPG

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #14  
I'm happy with my 1538. It's a Mitsubishi machine. The problems seem to be with the TYM machines that are a bit larger.

Most of the problems with the TYM built Mahindra tractors are the Mahindra built engines issues, no heat or unable to rev up engine and the EGR issues. Mahindra appears to be solving these issues. I have only seen one or two issues with they TYM tractors with the Yanmar engine.

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST?
I like the rear mounted blower a lot
I have a Woods sb64?? I think is the model number.
In all honesty a front mounted snow thrower is ideal from an operation point of view.
Now with that out of the way I'd never own a front mount! First is cost. They cost substantially more money. Second cost. They cost you time in setting it up and taking it off it is way more time involved then the rear mount. Third cost is work. By having the rear mount I get to keep the loader attached. So I can back drag the snow away from the buildings or obstacles turn around and blow it away! Or dig up a pile of snow that the town pushes on to a corner of my property/driveway and blocks my view of the road. I swear they started doing it just because they've seen my setup. Plus if your stuck you again still have the loader to help get you out.
I have an outdoor wood boiler and I clear a LARGE! Portion of my yard with the snow blower. All I do is raise the skids on the blower to give me approx 3/8-1/2" of a clearance from the cutting edge to the ground takes about 5 min "in actuality I've left it that way all the time" and away I go. I do gouge the lawn in some spots with the skids not the main cutting edge but only when doing hard turns. Come spring they disappear. I've never "eaten" my lawn and blown it away. So no worries there. I'll attach a pic if possible.
View attachment 493829

Good to know I'm not the only crazy person out there snow blowing the lawn!

One more question. Any reason I should NOT get the Hydrostatic transmission? Other than the price? My lawn tractor has the twin pedal HST and I think it's the best thing ever, but just wondering if the choice is as clear for a "real" tractor. My main concern would be pulling power. I have some heavy trailers I hope to be able to lug around up hills etc. I don't have a farm so no field plowing, tilling. Just lugging, snow plowing/blowing and pallet fork lifting and relatively low hour, residential use.

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #16  
Good to know I'm not the only crazy person out there snow blowing the lawn!

One more question. Any reason I should NOT get the Hydrostatic transmission? Other than the price? My lawn tractor has the twin pedal HST and I think it's the best thing ever, but just wondering if the choice is as clear for a "real" tractor. My main concern would be pulling power. I have some heavy trailers I hope to be able to lug around up hills etc. I don't have a farm so no field plowing, tilling. Just lugging, snow plowing/blowing and pallet fork lifting and relatively low hour, residential use.

I've never owned a HST so I can't speak about how they work for pulling. Mine is a shuttle shift and I've been happy with my choice. I chose it for the following reasons.

First: it doesn't add additional "stress" on the fluid. A HST uses the hydraulic fluid to operate, this puts more wear on the fluid and can cause much higher oil temps and in severe cases fluid failure "one of the reasons Kubota developed SUDT fluid was the BX series getting insanely hot.

Second: I get slightly more PTO HP since there isn't as much of a loss going thru a standard geared setup as a HST.

Third: on the shuttle shift the PTO works even when I'm stationary and in neutral. I cant recall this for certain but I believe it works even when I push in the clutch. Something on the HST doesn't work this same way but I can't recall exactly what it is.

Fourth: it was less money to buy a gear over a HST.

Fifth: and perhaps my biggest reason was simplicity. A straight forward geared setup should be reliable over the long term and less to go wrong. I am a heavy wheeled mechanic for tractor trailers not equipment but I used that knowledge to think this part thru. I am not saying HST setups will fail or are week but they are more sensitive to certain things and can be less forgiving as well as more money to repair.

Please remember that some of these are my thoughts that got me to make my decision.

I will also add I can see some big benefits to a HST. it's much easier for them to get the "right" traveling speed.
If your doing a lot of forward then reverse and back it would be much smoother and perhaps faster then the geared.
I'm sure others can chime in on other things but those two are what I've noticed would be improved on from a simple operators point of view.

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #17  
One strange thing I see in the specs. the Max 26XL HST shows 20 PTO HP, but the 1526 HST shows only 18.5 PTO HP. Both show 25.6 Engine HP. I thought these two machines had the same Mitsu 26 HP engine. It's not a huge difference, but one of the chippers I was eyeing up calls for 19 PTO HP, so the 18.5 number was bugging me. Any ideas?

Thanks

It appears they lowered the HP to get under the Tier IV norms by just rating the tractor at a lower RPM. With this all mechanical engine, you pull the throttle back a little more and I can't see why we are not back at 28 HP. AFAIK, The engine is all the same, same injector pump, same injectors, etc.

I really, really like the 1526 tractor. Very reliable, specs out nicely, and just the right size for a lot of folks.

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #18  
I think you have quite a bit wrong wrong here:

QUOTE=Laderbuilt;4649525]I've never owned a HST so I can't speak about how they work for pulling. Mine is a shuttle shift and I've been happy with my choice. I chose it for the following reasons.

First: it doesn't add additional "stress" on the fluid. A HST uses the hydraulic fluid to operate, this puts more wear on the fluid and can cause much higher oil temps and in severe cases fluid failure "one of the reasons Kubota developed SUDT fluid was the BX series getting insanely hot.

Stress on the fluid? The fluid is designed to be used in this situation. If Kubota had a problem it was because of their design. If HST was a problem in the industry then huge excavators and Caterpillars, Bobcats, etc wouldn't be using it. It is NOT and issue with the Mahindra or any other brands that I know of.

Second: I get slightly more PTO HP since there isn't as much of a loss going thru a standard geared setup as a HST.

That is true.

Third: on the shuttle shift the PTO works even when I'm stationary and in neutral. I cant recall this for certain but I believe it works even when I push in the clutch. Something on the HST doesn't work this same way but I can't recall exactly what it is.

With an HST you do not need to press the clutch to stop so the pto runs all the time, except when disengaged or when you press the clutch.

Fifth: and perhaps my biggest reason was simplicity. A straight forward geared setup should be reliable over the long term and less to go wrong. I am a heavy wheeled mechanic for tractor trailers not equipment but I used that knowledge to think this part thru. I am not saying HST setups will fail or are week but they are more sensitive to certain things and can be less forgiving as well as more money to repair.

An hst has far fewer moving parts than a standard shift and especially a shuttle shift. No clutching is necessary to use it so there is no clutch wear. the clutch is actually only used when starting to satisfy the safety switch and when you press it to temporarily stop the pto.... which many people don't even use. They are more 'sensitive' only to keeping the fluid clean which you would do on any tractor if you maintain it properly. It's not even a consideration.

Please remember that some of these are my thoughts that got me to make my decision.

you should have researched your 'thoughts' a little more, and you might be enjoying the benefits of an HST right now. :)

I will also add I can see some big benefits to a HST. it's much easier for them to get the "right" traveling speed.

right, you can also keep a constant pto speed and make the tractor go any speed you want. And your speed is infinitely variable at all times.

If your doing a lot of forward then reverse and back it would be much smoother and perhaps faster then the geared.

theres' no perhaps about it

I'm sure others can chime in on other things but those two are what I've noticed would be improved on from a simple operators point of view.[/QUOTE]

They are, on average about $1k more than a geared machine, but in the overall pricing scheme of a tractor purchase, it's a pretty small investment... and well worth it.

There are many reasons an hst is 'better' than a gear. Most will agree, hence the sales numbers, some will not. Those who do not agree, are wrong.
:) :)

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #19  
I think you have quite a bit wrong wrong here:

QUOTE=Laderbuilt;4649525]I've never owned a HST so I can't speak about how they work for pulling. Mine is a shuttle shift and I've been happy with my choice. I chose it for the following reasons.

Stress on the fluid? The fluid is designed to be used in this situation. If Kubota had a problem it was because of their design. If HST was a problem in the industry then huge excavators and Caterpillars, Bobcats, etc wouldn't be using it. It is NOT and issue with the Mahindra or any other brands that I know of.

That is true.

With an HST you do not need to press the clutch to stop so the pto runs all the time, except when disengaged or when you press the clutch.

An hst has far fewer moving parts than a standard shift and especially a shuttle shift. No clutching is necessary to use it so there is no clutch wear. the clutch is actually only used when starting to satisfy the safety switch and when you press it to temporarily stop the pto.... which many people don't even use. They are more 'sensitive' only to keeping the fluid clean which you would do on any tractor if you maintain it properly. It's not even a consideration.

you should have researched your 'thoughts' a little more, and you might be enjoying the benefits of an HST right now. :)

right, you can also keep a constant pto speed and make the tractor go any speed you want. And your speed is infinitely variable at all times.

theres' no perhaps about it

I'm sure others can chime in on other things but those two are what I've noticed would be improved on from a simple operators point of view.

They are, on average about $1k more than a geared machine, but in the overall pricing scheme of a tractor purchase, it's a pretty small investment... and well worth it.

There are many reasons an hst is 'better' than a gear. Most will agree, hence the sales numbers, some will not. Those who do not agree, are wrong.
:) :)[/QUOTE]
+1

/ Anything to say good/bad about a Mahendra 1526 HST? #20  
I forgot to mention, the pulling ability. It will pull anything a geared tractor will with no potential clutch issues. Most times you need to slip the clutch to get a heavy load moving. With an hst, there is no clutch needed. Less wear, fewer potential issues.

You'd be surprised what can be pulled with a 1526/3016. Put that 3 speed rear end in low, gently press the pedal and it will pull anything that has 2 ends to it. adjust your initial speed so your tires don't spin...it's easier to do with an hst than a clutch.

Load up the rear tires for best performance.

I can think of no reason to get gears over an hst, and I put nearly 25 years on a geared machine.