Buying Advice Help making the right choice before the big plunge

/ Help making the right choice before the big plunge #1  

MK19

Tractor
Kubota L4701DT, Kubota KX161-3SS
So, we bought our very first home. 3 miles off road, 2o acres up in the Olympic mountains. The property has glaciel till, some wetlands, old growth stumps, scrub brush and replanted fir, along with the ever pervasive weed - the Red Alder. The property is relatively raw, most trees being under 8' and the list of projects is quite vast - we're having a friend use his excavator for the real work, but once he's done, I will need to have a tractor on hand to do daily work and assist with the projects such as clearing/leveling for a small barn, sheds, etc. Hauling wood, rock, dirt, hay and the ability to do some light landscaping is ideal. My last tractor was an old Kubota L295DT and it did OK, but was received in rough shape and was quite limited. I do like the Kubota brand and my issue here is that I want to ensure I get the right setup. I am eyeballing a B3300SU with a loader and backhoe for $22K. Finding a used 4WD Kubota here in WA is near impossible, but this one looks nice, low hours and the price seems right. I will eventually need a box, brush hog and tiller, but for now I think this may suffice. The tractor does seem a bit light as far as weight goes, but I obviously don't know what best suits my needs. Any input is greatly appreciated!

/ Help making the right choice before the big plunge #2  
I like overkill as much as the next tool-head, but sometimes the budget just isn't there. For such occasions, patience and time can be used in place of horsepower.

If the tractor does 90% of what you need, and you have to rent the equipment or pay for someone to do the 10%, you'll probably do just fine.

/ Help making the right choice before the big plunge #3  
No matter what brand you buy, for where you are you had better get a cab with heat for the snow removal in winter.

/ Help making the right choice before the big plunge
No matter what brand you buy, for where you are you had better get a cab with heat for the snow removal in winter.

This is WA, we don't get snow all that bad - especially at the elevation we'll be at.

/ Help making the right choice before the big plunge #5  
Kioti +40 Hp or a Mahindra 2540 or larger. B series Or even some L Kubota's is not up to the task for that size property.

Consider used. If you did not have the excavator available, you would want a full sized used old but running TLB

/ Help making the right choice before the big plunge #6  
I do like the Kubota brand. I am eyeballing a B3300SU with a loader and backhoe for $22K. Finding a used 4WD Kubota here in WA is near impossible, but this one looks nice, low hours and the price seems right. I will eventually need a box, brush hog and tiller, but for now I think this may suffice. The tractor does seem a bit light as far as weight goes.

I love the climate around Sequim. I wish real estate was not double the price from Florida. I shopped property in Sequim area during 2014.

In Florida, $22,000 for a used B3300SU with Backhoe would be a fairly high price, unless really low engine hours and garage stored with humidity control. ( In Florida, ag and forestry equipment is sales tax exempt, which may effect your perspective on $22,000 price versus my perspective.)

I owned a B3300SU. After operating it for 400 engine hours I decided it was too light for me. Here are my comments:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/367185-b3300su.html

B3300SU will operate a 54" or 60" Light/medium duty Rotary Cutter fine in grass up to 36". Fine for a forward-rotation PTO roto-tiller, which requires LESS power than most tractor shoppers think. Really too light for serious Box Blade work.

Consider a HydrauLink Top Link, which reduces tractor weld weld stress caused by implements behind light tractors. Really efficous between tractor and Box Blades and PTO roto-tillers.
VIDEO: HydrauLink Category 1 Cylinder - For 45 HP Tractors or Less, Model# HL-11 - YouTube

I took delivery on the new B3300SU in February 2012. Options: R4/industrial tires, quick attach bucket, LA504 FEL. NO BACKHOE. Total price: $17,200 without sales tax.

Based on your topography and tasks, I do not think the B3300 will be stable enough for you. Kubota specified B3300SU BARE tractor weight at 1,929 pounds. I think you need a BARE tractor weight of 3,000 to 4,000 pounds and a wider stance. Besides the light weight, the issue is narrow stance and tall tires.

After the excavator has done its thing, what tasks do you foresee requiring a $7,500 Backhoe? The Backhoe must be removed to access the Three Point Hitch, which is the primary work point on tractors.

You can buy a new, heavy-chassis, 3,600 pound (bare tractor) Kubota 'Grand L' with SSQA FEL and HST/PLUS, but without a Backhoe for $27,000 net, net.

KUBOTA WEB SITE: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx

Just out of curiosity, how close is nearest Kubota dealer? My friend with a John Deere on Whidbey Island has to ferry his Deere to Mount Vernon, on the mainland, for Deere service.

Last edited: