Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing?

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I'm homing in on a tractor purchase. Need advice on whether to load the rear tires or not.

A big project is forestry cleanup with grapple, rake, maybe a skidding winch. I understand loaded tires are desirable for that. This is a big project but a one-time project even though it make take two seasons to finish.

Every year, year in and year out, I need to mow at least monthly, probably 4 times or so per year. I understand loaded tires are not desirable for mowing?

Not sure what the trade-offs are. More convenient to have the dealer do it, but am wondering if it makes sense to try unloaded tires to start, then load my own tires later if I want to? I understand tractor supply has some sort of tool for doing that, but I haven't located one yet.

Dealer suggests calcium which I believe is past its day due to rust issues. If I do this, its either Rimguard or windshield washer fluid. I've heard of folks using methanol but that stuff is highly flammable. I wouldn't go that route even though its encased in a tire.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #2  
I suggest not to load tires for mowing, Adjustable weight Ballast box gives you options.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #3  
Makes a difference on what your mowing. Lawn or pasture. With the forestry work, I'd load them. Weight is your friend with a grapple and a skidding winch isn't enough balast for my tractor with this combination. I used Rimgard in mine.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #4  
I would load them. Based on my experience the front tires are responsible for most of the turf damage especially if they are R1s. Loading the rears won't change the load on the front tires assuming there's no load on the FEL.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #5  
Makes a difference on what your mowing. Lawn or pasture. With the forestry work, I'd load them. Weight is your friend with a grapple and a skidding winch isn't enough balast for my tractor with this combination. I used Rimgard in mine.

Woods work, for sure, load them., if you have a mostly dry field and light tractor load them, otherwise Ballast Box.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing?
No operation on lawn. Will be woods work and mowing dry pasture / 2-3 foot high grass and weeds.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #7  
Load them for sure as long as you are not "mowing lawn".Looked at a 1758 cab tractor a friend purchased;looks nice.Load with Rim-Guard.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #8  
I would RimGard them. I have Rimgard in mine and finish mow and find the tractor stills spins too easily at times. Mowing taller grass I would for sure.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #9  
Not for lawn use,extra weight better griping traction safer when operation.

/ Should you load tires if you do a lot of mowing? #10  
Load them.

We all got a bit confused when you mentioned mowing duties. Most people think of a lawn. You are talking about brush cutting a pasture. Load your tires. You won't regret it.

P.S. Don't use CC. If money is a consideration use WWF. Buy it bulk in barrels it's even cheaper that way.