Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler #1  

crazydrum95

Tractor
Bobcat S175 Skid Steer
Hi Guys,

I know this has probably been discussed to death around here but i'd like to get your opinions anyway.

We currently have around 30 acres, hoping to get that up to the 60 range soon but we'll have to wait and see. Currently I work it for the landowner who is now too old on the understanding I get first refusal to buy it when he's ready. Its probably what you guys would class a hobby farm. We have about 20 bullocks, 30 lambs, a donkey, 4 pigs. 4 horses and chickens and geese. We also have a few fields that we try and make some hay from if we have a good year.

I've been using the owners 1960's Massey. Its been doing a great job, but recently its showing its age and I spend more time maintaining it than I do actually using it. Its often quicker to just try and do it by hand. We used it for shifting round bales and various other things, topping the fields. mowing the local village verges, grading the road etc.

The thing is, with all the new animals, especially the horses, we have a lot more muck to deal with. I'd like to build some proper pits so we can turn it, but our current tractor doesn't have a FEL which means I would have to do it by hand! Nothanks. We also recently moved to large square bales of hay which has proved much cheaper, and nicer quality however they are almost impossible to unload from the trailer and store etc with a bale spike on 3pt hitch. We're also buying more in pallets such as food and bedding. so it would be nice to have some forks.

So, I've been thinking it might be useful to get a skid steer. I've driven one plenty before at work, they're great and I think they're really handy. My only worry is whether the Massey is going to last much longer. I don't do much with the PTO but its definitely handy to have. Also I should mention i'd love to get a bale trailer so I could collect more at a time, and I've also just been very kindly given a 20 tonne tipping trailer which would come in very handy for lots of things.

In my dreams i'd love a Fendt Vario, but I can't afford that sort of money (yet!)

Last edited:
   / Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler #2  
That's a great story. Get a small 4x4 tractor, with a loader. As much HP as you can afford. A cab if you have to work in the cold.

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler #3  
Having owned horses for 25 years, my first advice is get rid of the horses. Seriously, your farm seems to call for a larger frame 4wd tractor in the 50-60 hp range. You can help pay for it by getting rid of the horses.

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler #4  
Having owned horses for 25 years, my first advice is get rid of the horses. Seriously, your farm seems to call for a larger frame 4wd tractor in the 50-60 hp range. You can help pay for it by getting rid of the horses.

-- X2 ~~

You need a 4-WD tractor weighing at least 4,000 pounds, bare tractor, then add Front End Loader and other options.

Small wheels on Skid Steers make make them impracticable for field work.

Telehandler could be considered but very expensive for one of sufficient weight.

Keep in mind that this is a TRACTOR Forum, when contemplating replies.

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler
Unfortunately getting rid of the horses is not an option. They are my OH's and her family's. They are the reason we have the farm really anyway.

I would like to save the money and not get a cab. I'm in the UK so tractor choice is limited compared to the US, I haven't been able to find a 50-60HP without a cab which is a shame. I'm also not sure the cab would fit in my current barn.

Thanks for the advice on skidsteers. So far I've not really noticed a massive price difference between a telehandler and tractor.

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler #6  
Hi Guys,

I know this has probably been discussed to death around here but i'd like to get your opinions anyway.

We currently have around 30 acres, hoping to get that up to the 60 range soon but we'll have to wait and see. Currently I work it for the landowner who is now too old on the understanding I get first refusal to buy it when he's ready. Its probably what you guys would class a hobby farm. We have about 20 bullocks, 30 lambs, a donkey, 4 pigs. 4 horses and chickens and geese. We also have a few fields that we try and make some hay from if we have a good year.

I've been using the owners 1960's Massey. Its been doing a great job, but recently its showing its age and I spend more time maintaining it than I do actually using it. Its often quicker to just try and do it by hand. We used it for shifting round bales and various other things, topping the fields. mowing the local village verges, grading the road etc.

The thing is, with all the new animals, especially the horses, we have a lot more muck to deal with. I'd like to build some proper pits so we can turn it, but our current tractor doesn't have a FEL which means I would have to do it by hand! Nothanks. We also recently moved to large square bales of hay which has proved much cheaper, and nicer quality however they are almost impossible to unload from the trailer and store etc with a bale spike on 3pt hitch. We're also buying more in pallets such as food and bedding. so it would be nice to have some forks.

So, I've been thinking it might be useful to get a skid steer. I've driven one plenty before at work, they're great and I think they're really handy. My only worry is whether the Massey is going to last much longer. I don't do much with the PTO but its definitely handy to have. Also I should mention i'd love to get a bale trailer so I could collect more at a time, and I've also just been very kindly given a 20 tonne tipping trailer which would come in very handy for lots of things.

In my dreams i'd love a Fendt Vario, but I can't afford that sort of money (yet!)

It seems like your best bet is probably a tractor in the 35-60 hp range. The versatility is better with a tractor than a SS. Unless you're in real tight quarters, or your only purpose for it is dirt work, I prefer a tractor vs SS. Better ground clearance, safer to operate if material handling, cheaper attachments, ability to connect front and rear attachment simultaneously (box blade and loader, grapple and mower, etc).

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler #7  
I've owned both, a few old tractors through my early years, upgraded to a skid steer, sold it and went back to a newer tractor with FEL. For my use, snow removal, hauling logs for firewood, moving manure, and general property maintenance, my 4x4 tractor has it all over the skid steer. Sure, the skid steer had a bigger loader, and if that fills the bill for most of your use that's your best bet, but for all around use a tractor is much more versatile.
It's cold in my country, -24 predicted for tomorrow night, so I chose a tractor with a heated cab. No air conditioning, but for summer I remove the doors and get by just fine for my limited needs. In my opinion my skid steer was an expensive tool with limited application for my use. It sounds like your situation is somewhat the same so I'd recommend getting a tractor.

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler
Wow, hadn't spotted that! I wasn't even aware class did a cabless version. Well that's a very nice find. Slightly more than I was initially planning on, especially without the loader however it looks like a really amazing beast. It looks far better than the Grand L kubota's or the M series that I thought I was going to have to go with

/ Unsure on what equipment to get, Tractor, Skidsteer or Telehandler #10  
Well the regulars on here know that I am going to recommend a compact telehandler. :D

We have four horses on 80 acres and the Bobcat V417 and attachments does everything necessary.

Some previous discussions:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/.../274285-single-tractor-vs-skidsteer-mini.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...307243-skid-steer-vs-tractor.html#post3712135

The little telehandler:

P9290024.JPG

PA090011.JPG

PC160016.JPG

PC220029.JPG