Buying Advice Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com?

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #1  

candersen10

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 262c, NH TN75, JD 6430 premium, JD 5325, Kubota BX2200, Ford 1710HC, JD 333E, JD3720, Farmall 504, Farmall 404.
   / Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #2  
The problems can start when you need service. You get directed to a service depot which is usually some independent dealer. Then you go there and they tell you, yes, they service the mower, but not the engine! This happened to a neighbor that bought a garden tractor at TSC.

I have a friend in that business and someone is always coming though the door, with stuff (usually consumer level junk) they bought at a big box store, and often with an attitude. They get put in their place pretty quick or are simply shown the door.

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #3  
I would not buy if I can't inspect it and try it first :thumbdown:.
Pictures are nice...but nothing compares to a good inspection/visual check.
My :2cents:

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #4  
No, I'm a touchy feelie kinda guy and I don't want anything new, I'd rather have old with metal parts instead of plastic and non emission stuff I can work on myself.

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #5  
We sell several of the lines that are sold in box stores. A day will come when the independent dealers will say enough is enough and start refusing to work on box store equipment.

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #6  
We sell several of the lines that are sold in box stores. A day will come when the independent dealers will say enough is enough and start refusing to work on box store equipment.

Ahhhh, yes,, but,, someone will be there to take the service dollars.
Refusal to service by existing dealers might just increase what manufacturers are willing to pay for service.

Heck, if they pay enough,, I might even go into the service business,,,, :thumbsup:

:laughing:

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #7  
The BIG corporations want sales and market share, but not the nitty gritty. So, why do dealerships and service facilities agree to be these Warranty Depots, when they don't get paid well, leave themselves wide open, as now the problems become theirs and even endure law suits as I have heard recently resulting from a particularly displeased customer.

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #8  

I would think that a large dealer such as Messick's could get an overall benefit from servicing big box store machines.
When a customer sees what Messick's can provide, as a comparison, it would seem to me that they would likely buy from Messick's the next time around.
I have never been to Messick's, and I live 450 miles from them.
That said; If I ever buy a new tractor, and Messick's price is even close, I will hook up my equipment trailer, and bypass all the closer dealers, to specifically buy from Messick's.
Every time I have bought parts for my very old Fords (UPS/FedEx), the Messick's people have been incredibly accommodating!
So, I might spend $300 in gas and tolls?
I am a very old guy, and I still believe in rewarding loyalty.
MESSICK'S IS FIRST CLASS!

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #9  

The USA can only have one WalMart or Amazon. They are the low price leaders and no one can compete. No small business needs to take them on! Us small business owners must sell quality and service. If I was in that industry I would welcome anyone with a big box store purchase in my store. Everyone who worked there would know to take a moment to explain the reason it is a cheaper model- bushing instead of bearing, 1/4" instead of 3/8" etc. The customer will go away with a quality repair and an understanding of why your product is a few bucks more- and well worth it!

/ Would you every buy a tractor on a site like amazon.com? #10  
Why anyone would buy an Ariens snow thrower from HD, for example, when they can buy it for the same price and often get free delivery from a local dealer is beyond me.