Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #1  

UNCBLUE

Bronze Member
Tractor
TBD
Good afternoon all... I've been lurking for 9mths or so and just signed up recently..Wife has signed off on getting a tractor to help with setting up 7 acres of land with about 4.5 of them wooded... Land is in the VA mts so lots of red clay and rocks. We have 2 small kids in daycare which is big $ plus trying to set up the property in prep to build in 2 years when 1 starts kindergarten. $ is a concern but I'd also like to not have to buy again for a 4-5 years minimum. We would be paying cash.

We'd mostly be doing FEL work with wood chips, mulch, and moving firewood.. We also need to be able to cut in some swales and set up hugelkulture beds which means digging them out, dragging wood to them, putting back some dirt but also adding compost and wood chips.. Most of the FEL work will be in moving compost, sand, and wood chips to raised planter beds. I have a small amount of bush hogging to do but very limited amount once initial portion is complete. I will also be up keeping our gravel driveway & clearing out the ditches. I plan to get 5 ft bush hog, 5ft box blade, and 5 ft tilt blade.

Here are the 3 deals in front of me...

Deal #1 - 2013 Mahindra Max 28XL hst with 205 hrs, FEL, and 5ft woods cutter - $12,500 - used to move grass on small horse farm & to clean out stalls. - I'd need to buy trailer and implements that i mentioned above.

Deal #2 - 2016 Kubota L3901 hst with 35hrs, QA FEL, 6ft bushing, and 20ft 10K trailer - $21,000 (guy selling is older gentleman that loves tractor but "to small to pull his hay bailer"

Deal #3 - 2016 NEW Mahindra 1526 HST with FEL, 6" cutter, 6" tilt blade, and 5" box blade for $19,800

What are your thoughts? Would the Max 28Xl do all of those tasks?

Thanks all for the input & help.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #2  
For me, I'd pick the Kubota. When you talk about dragging wood and digging and moving mulch and compost, the heavier the machine the better. Plus, it has SSQA, which is great if for no other reason than dropping the bucket when you aren't using it. Forks are a lifesaver, though and I highly recommend getting a set. If you ever want to move your machine around, having the trailer is great.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP
Thank you for the feedback... In looking at his pics, I'm not 100% certain that it does have the SSQA; I'll verify at a later time with him. I also wanted to add that we'd like to have a good exit strategy to at least get back out the $ that we have in it in the next 2-3 years.

thanks again for the info; i can't believe that it's this hard to make a decision. I've test driven all 3 models @ dealers but haven't been able to do any of the real world type stuff with them like actually loading up the buckets... I guess thats what gives me the most pause @ this point.. i wish i knew how they would handle on red clay and rocks as well as working the FEL;

We have the cash for any of the 3 deals but if i could save some $ AND the 28XL would do all that i need, then I'd jump on it.. that said, i'd hate to buy it, learn it's not heavy enough, and then have the hassle of selling it and looking for another deal...

decision decisions lol

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #4  
...I also wanted to add that we'd like to have a good exit strategy to at least get back out the $ that we have in it in the next 2-3 years...
In my opinion, that would be the .Kubota L3901. That seems like a great price, with trailer and 6' mower.

If you need a trailer, send me a PM, where about in the mountains? Made a hugelkulture bed a few years back, easy to make.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP
Hey neighbor..literally in Raleigh and mts... we're in N ral and our mts property is about 8 miles from Floyd...

I've been hunting for a good deal on a trailer... If I don't get the kubota, I'll either buy one or rent a Uhaul trailer to pick it up and deliver to our property...

I think the Kubota is a great deal too.. almost to good to be true.. he told me what he paid then i called the dealership and asked for the same pckg; they came back with cash price of $27k...makes me nervous that he'd be willing to walk away from that much $ unless he knows something i don't know lol

It seems that the Tier 4 fears haven't been as bad as the threads feared from 3-4 yrs ago. It does make me lean towards the Mahindras though so i don't have to worry about regen cycles..

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #6  
For me, I'd pick the Kubota. When you talk about dragging wood and digging and moving mulch and compost, the heavier the machine the better. Plus, it has SSQA, which is great if for no other reason than dropping the bucket when you aren't using it. Forks are a lifesaver. I highly recommend getting a set.

If you ever want to move your machine around, having the trailer is great.

I concur if Kubota dealer is within twenty miles of your property.

Don't buy a minimum capacity tractor. You seldom (seldom, not NEVER) want to operate tractors routinely at over 80% of capacity or your repair bills go up.

And you are in the Blue Ridge. Tractor weight yields stability on slopes.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.

Yes there are 2 Kubota dealerships about an hr from mts property & a Kubota dealership about 30 mins from our home use in Raleigh.

Thanks again for the feedback.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #8  
Please don't make the mistake of not getting SSQA! IMO, it's as important as 4wd. I speak from experience.

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #9  
Deal 1 - 7 acre property the Max 28 will be fine for the work you mentioned and some. They work well above there weight for a small tractor. They manuever well in tight spaces. It will run the 5 ft equipment no sweat. Solid build quality from Mitsubish
i in Japan. With the money you save maybe pick up a dump/ tractor trailer. I see them New here for 5900. Used in the 3k range. They sure come in handy especially the low profile with the removable sides that acts as a flatbed that will dump, easily load, unload logs for firewood, haul your tractor etc....

/ Trying to buy a tractor - 3 options has me confused on best value for my use - HELP #10  
Please don't make the mistake of not getting SSQA! IMO, it's as important as 4wd. I speak from experience.

I agree.

My guess here is the Kubota will be gone in a few days. Either to you or someone else. But it'll sell.