Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor)

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #21  
If you're going to be pulling a 3pt finish mower, is it really going to take any weight off the front end? I thought finish mowers have their own wheels? The tractor won't be carrying the weight of the mower, will it?

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #22  
The only time I use steering brakes (I think split brakes is the correct term) is during snow clean up. They can be pretty handy when the front of the tractor is pushed off the straight and narrow.
Although it's probably not good practice, some folks lift the front wheels when using the loader to back drag...then use of steering brakes is required.

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #23  
Your tractor specs out very similar to my old 1720 New Holland. That tractor will be stable if the rears are loaded. I would try it first without any weight and then add if necessary. That is a very nice unit you picked up there.

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #24  
Well,, I went to the dealer and wrote the check today,,,
they will deliver it in a day or two :thumbsup:

It does have a differential lock,
and maybe the tires are big enough that steering brakes will be less of an issue??

4105_zpsztm3lesy.jpg

I definitely will be using the power washer,, it is only 3 years old.
A little paint might needed,,, too!! :laughing:
Anyone have an extra wire brush laying around they want to donate?? :confused2:

I bought it as is,, but, at least they will deliver it,,,

4105-2_zpsfcui40gy.jpg

It runs perfectly,, and the turbo sounds nice!! :D
That tractor is 3 years old? That can't be right with the looks of the seat and the amount of paint loss and rust on the frame (front to back) and the whole rear end. Even the hydraulic lines and connections are rusted. I'm not ripping on your choice since it is just paint, but is this what happens to a JD tractor in 3 years?

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #25  
I would weight the front with the existing 300 lbs. of weight for general use of this tractor. With the finish mower on the ground it isn't needed but lift the mower and turn uphill and it can make a difference. I have six of the 70 lb. weights on my 4520 and the MX 6 called for twelve 70 lb. weights on the front. This assumes there is no fel on the tractor.

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #26  
I used a 3300# 1720 New Holland 1720 FWA with a Woods PRD 7200 for 7 years and on some of my more severe side slopes it had a tendency to pull the rear end of the tractor down hill. The tractor would handle it but I knew it was back there. The mower weighed 660#. I never utilized the brakes to turn. I first did have front weights but later installed a front end loaded so the front was loaded. What is the tractor model?

I don't have a 4WD tractor but I use the split brakes all the time. When mowing the dam of my pond, I Find it has a tendency to want to slide at times. A little pressureon the up hill brake will keep it on track.

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #27  
That is the most uncared for tractor I have ever seen. Paint flaking or missing on every component, top link threads look to be completely rusted together and I doubt you will ever be able to move it, 3 PH lift arms look like they may be bent or at least worn severely, rims rusted badly, looks like manure crammed in all the crevices around the drawbar just to name a few. I once owned a 30 year old tractor that looked better than that one. It looks like it never say a cover or a wash bay in its life and it must have been working in a very severe corrosive environment to have that much corrosion.
I sure hope you got a very good deal on it because it is going to need some TLC to put it back in operating condition. I hope you checked all the moving mechanical joints well because I think many of the linkages will be stiff or inoperable.

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #28  
Well,, I went to the dealer and wrote the check today,,,
they will deliver it in a day or two :thumbsup:

It does have a differential lock,
and maybe the tires are big enough that steering brakes will be less of an issue??

4105_zpsztm3lesy.jpg

I definitely will be using the power washer,, it is only 3 years old.
A little paint might needed,,, too!! :laughing:
Anyone have an extra wire brush laying around they want to donate?? :confused2:

I bought it as is,, but, at least they will deliver it,,,

4105-2_zpsfcui40gy.jpg

It runs perfectly,, and the turbo sounds nice!! :D
Is that the original oil filter on this tractor? It sure looks like it might be.

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #29  
If you're going to be pulling a 3pt finish mower, is it really going to take any weight off the front end? I thought finish mowers have their own wheels? The tractor won't be carrying the weight of the mower, will it?

When he picks it up to turn around or transport, not mowing.

/ Steering Brakes,,, A Necessity,, Or A Nicety?? (41HP, 3000 Lb Tractor) #30  
Congrats on your purchase!!!! Good project tractor that I believe will serve you well!!!!

As for front weights. I'd build a rack for your suitcase weights. Might consider turning them sideways so they don't stick out so far. Something similar to this.

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01142.jpg