Buying Advice New tractor purchase.

/ New tractor purchase.
Did the dealership give you the loaner Kubota?

I didn't accept it yet. I started talking to him about buying my tractor back. And when he said no and started talking what the warranty was for I said what good does it do me when I don't have my tractor to work with. Then, in frustration, I just said call me when my tractor is done. (They have only had it for a week now! 260 hours! Ugh!)

/ New tractor purchase. #32  
Gives you plenty of time to sit on the internet and blog about tractors, rather than actually being on a tractor....

Sorry man, that sux.

If it helps, my old 8N has been busted for a couple weeks now. Tried everything, can't get her to run right. Think it might be a blown manifold or head gasket. Parts back ordered.

I might just go out and buy a new Kubota or Yanmar.

/ New tractor purchase.
Gives you plenty of time to sit on the internet and blog about tractors, rather than actually being on a tractor....

Sorry man, that sux.

If it helps, my old 8N has been busted for a couple weeks now. Tried everything, can't get her to run right. Think it might be a blown manifold or head gasket. Parts back ordered.

I might just go out and buy a new Kubota or Yanmar.

Buy a Kubota! I've owned two. Never should have switched brands when I wanted to go bigger! Live and learn. Or buy a Deere.

/ New tractor purchase. #34  
I didn't accept it yet. I started talking to him about buying my tractor back. And when he said no and started talking what the warranty was for I said what good does it do me when I don't have my tractor to work with. Then, in frustration, I just said call me when my tractor is done. (They have only had it for a week now! 260 hours! Ugh!)

That's tough man. I was upfront with the dealer I traded with about what's ahead and our options if I had issues. Unfortunately I had to see how good his word was with a brand new unit having a defective Hydraulic pump from the factory. He thought I was upset with him, I explained not at him just the situation and our relationship was determined on how he took care of me after the purchase. He replaced my tractor with another new one. I would suggest maybe talking to yours in a similar way and tell him you've been a loyal customer to him and you'd like the same in return, that you would rather not go elsewhere for a tractor. See where it gets you. Maybe see if he'll take it back with a good trade in (buy back) purchase towards another one. At the same time if he's standing behind the machine and fixing it all under warranty without any fuss & now offering a loaner that's still not bad. Some dealer's will baulk on warranty repairs at times trying to double dip. Anyhow man hate to hear your having constant issues.

Far as Kubota, I have a simple 02' L3000 since new & it's been nothing but a tank & rock solid design. My dealer does sale both NH & Kubota and I went with a blue tractor this time and don't regret it. All companies have some made on a Monday. Good luck man.

Last edited:
   / New tractor purchase. #35  

If it were me, I'd accept the loaner. Sounds like he's in a corner as far as buyback.

/ New tractor purchase. #36  
On getting rid of what you've got, I would explain that you need to get out of it and ask if he has any ideas. Can he buy it back? Sell on consignment, etc?

Explain you want to have a good relationship with him but what does he "think of the lemon law cause I've sure got a lemon". He will tell you what he thinks and you can go from there. You can't always use the lemon law but if you can I would do it and he will have to understand. If he's a good guy, no problem.

It's thoughtful to be concerned about another's feelings but get over it and be concerned about you. The relationship with him will still be there--or it never was. I have done these things in life and that's the way it is.

/ New tractor purchase.
On getting rid of what you've got, I would explain that you need to get out of it and ask if he has any ideas. Can he buy it back? Sell on consignment, etc?

Explain you want to have a good relationship with him but what does he "think of the lemon law cause I've sure got a lemon". He will tell you what he thinks and you can go from there. You can't always use the lemon law but if you can I would do it and he will have to understand. If he's a good guy, no problem.

It's thoughtful to be concerned about another's feelings but get over it and be concerned about you. The relationship with him will still be there--or it never was. I have done these things in life and that's the way it is.

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

I already calmly discussed with him that it was important to me to remain his customer. I like the service they give me on my other things I've bought from him. I told him I don't have any problems with the other equipment he has sold me. Simplicity, ALS, Stihl, Huskvarna. Just need preventative maintenance done.

But this Mahindra tractor is giving me all kinds of problems and keeping me from getting my projects done when I want to work with my tractor.

I asked him to buy it back from me with loader and backhoe. Told him I would keep implements. No problems with them. (They are made by Paladin.) He said he can't buy my tractor back. They will fix it. That's what the warranty is for.

I said what good does the warranty do me if I don't have my tractor to work with? They have had it several times in 10 months. 260 hours now. Frustrated!

Sorry guys. Just looking for ideas to get through the problem. Time for me to quit complaining and solve the problem.

I appreciate it.

/ New tractor purchase. #38  
And get out while it's still under warranty. It's a great selling point.

I view these things as a "tax" or whatever you want to call it, for having karma go your way on other things. It's time to take a hit and everybody takes one every now and then. Once it's done, t's done and you'll feel markedly better. A weight will be off your shoulders.

It's happened to me over the years and I'm OK with it. I've had good fortune with things I now own but had to sort some turkeys out along the way. Net-net it's OK.

/ New tractor purchase.
They returned my tractor to me yesterday afternoon.

A pin in the transmission had broken. They replaced it and put everything back together. So they had to pull fenders and seat and go into transmission from the top. Nothing more.

They could not replicate the "bogging down" hydraulic power loss issue.

They fixed the problem with the lights.

They cleaned the large cylinder on the backhoe but could not find a leak.

Oh how I sometimes wish I had bought another solid, used Kubota, like I have in the past. Live and learn.

I must say again though, when this tractor is working correctly the production is very good. I really like the hydrostatic transmission with side by side pedals. And the large R1 Ag tires for traction and great ground clearance.

It is just very frustrating to experience this many lost time problems after one has spent this amount of money on a brand new tractor that is suppose to be their top of the line tractor.

I will see how long it takes and what Mahindra does in response to my complaint to them. I told them I will not bash my dealer. They have been good through all of this. I don't like complaining about Mahindra. And don't want to complain about all their tractors. Just appears I got a tractor with some quality control problems. A "lemon" or a "bad unit"? I don't know.

I do not want to take a big loss financially on this tractor. Can't afford it. So I believe I will be keeping it for now. It's not costing me any money, everything is covered under warranty. Just a lot of lost time and frustration when I have these problems that need to be fixed. But frustration equals stress and time is money. So I will have to adjust my "attitude" toward any future problems. Just call them up when I have one and have them come and get it, then move onto something else until I get it back. (That wouldn't fly if this was me doing work for a customer.)

I have asked for a copy, or record/receipt of every time they have worked my tractor. The mechanic told me no problem. They will pull everything from the Mahindra database for warranty work and send them to me. I will make sure I keep track of any future work done as well.

Let's hope I have better luck moving forward.

/ New tractor purchase. #40  
That's good news for you and your dealer. You both got stuck with a problem tractor and have handled it well. Good luck moving forward!