Buying Advice New tractor purchase.

/ New tractor purchase. #1  

Gasifier

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 310J, Kubota L4310
Hello all. I have been buying used, low hour machines in the past. Working them for 1-2 years and then selling them. Get a lot of work done with them and then get most of my money back out of them.

This time I have decided to go new. Get a warranty and have a local dealer to service it. I've decided on a Mahindra 3550 HST with QA Loader, QA bucket, QA 72" double piston grapple, a 6' medium duty rotary cutter, and a 75B QA backhoe. (Will add forks later.)

I have read mostly good reviews about Mahindras, but have also read about some people having bad experiences with them, to say the least. Including a few guys here on TBN. And a few who had bad experiences with this exact model. This is making me a little worried.

My tractor has not come in yet, but I did order it. A new one from the factory, or distribution center I guess, will be coming in a few weeks.

I decided to go with Mahindra for several reasons. Strength of machine for its size, weight of machine, side by side hydro pedals I like ( I have a lot of woods cleanup work to do with the loader and trail work.)

But the other big reason is the dealer is close by and I have purchased Simplicity, Stihl, Husqvarna equipment from them before and they have a good service department.

In the past I have owned and operated Kubota, Bobcat, and Deere tractors and construction TLBs. Did not have any major problems with them.

Should I be confident in my purchase of a Mahindra? Or reconsider and go with a Kubota? I am spending a lot of money on this package, but a similar package from Kubota would be even more and from Deere would be, well let's just say too much.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

My plan is to stick with my decision and my dealer, but I think I'm getting cold feet. Ugh!

Last edited:
   / New tractor purchase. #2  
If you wanted a heavy tractor, you ordered it. IF you think the dealer will support you, they stay the course.

/ New tractor purchase. #3  
I have a love hate relationship with my Mahindra. For the price - you won't find a beefier tractor. It will lift more, pull more, and handle better than any other tractor in the same price range. Sounds good - right??? Well - hydraulic and coolant leaks have been a problem since day 1. They have finally fixed the coolant leaks, but hydraulic leaks pop up pretty much every time I use the tractor. If it weren't for the leaks - I would love the tractor! Because of the leaks - I contimplate selling it often. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I have a full time day job. I have to rely on the dealer to fix most of these issues. For now I am just dealing with one slow hydraulic leak, but I'm pretty sure that another one will pop up pretty soon. Basically - its a lesson in "you get what you pay for". You aren't going to get Toyota quality from a Kia.

/ New tractor purchase.
If you wanted a heavy tractor, you ordered it. IF you think the dealer will support you, they stay the course.

I am use to heavier tractors and TLBs. So I don't mind the weight of this one, it is less than a few I have owned (that's good), and heavier than the Kubota's. With the larger Ag tires it should do well. I think the weight will be good in lifting heavy loads with the grapple and muscling through the pushing and pulling of cleaning up the woods. I have recently had a logger come in and harvest about 40-50% of the trees on our 81 acres, as the woods was way too thick. So I have a lot of clean up work to do. We will be using his logging trails for access and we can now get around and all through the property. Really one of the big advantages. Now I have to clean up, drain, and dress up these trails. And keep them cut/clear. Some will be put into piles and left for animal coverage. Some will be piled and burned or chipped into piles for use in landscaping and gardening.

As far as the dealer goes they have always done well for me. I have never bought a tractor from them. They just became a Mahindra dealer a few years back. But employees in the service department have been to training and seem to be good mechanics/small engine maintenance/gear heads. Whatever you want to call them. They have always fixed my stuff and got it done quick. The place seems to be well respected.

My only reservation is trying a new brand of tractor I am not use to. I know the Kubotas are reliable. That is why I am having a hard time with this.

/ New tractor purchase.
I have a love hate relationship with my Mahindra. For the price - you won't find a beefier tractor. It will lift more, pull more, and handle better than any other tractor in the same price range. Sounds good - right??? Well - hydraulic and coolant leaks have been a problem since day 1. They have finally fixed the coolant leaks, but hydraulic leaks pop up pretty much every time I use the tractor. If it weren't for the leaks - I would love the tractor! Because of the leaks - I contimplate selling it often. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I have a full time day job. I have to rely on the dealer to fix most of these issues. For now I am just dealing with one slow hydraulic leak, but I'm pretty sure that another one will pop up pretty soon. Basically - its a lesson in "you get what you pay for". You aren't going to get Toyota quality from a Kia.

Sorry about your troubles with your tractor justinramani. What year is your 4035 Mahindra? I hope you have better luck going forward sir. This is my concern. I know the Kubotas I have had have been good. A few leaks here and there, but usually the front axle area. But no major problems. I hate to change my mind and do that to my dealer. I will stay with my decision and if I have problems be a problem solver. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones who loves his Mahindra.

Last edited:
   / New tractor purchase. #6  
Hello all. I have been buying used, low hour machines in the past. Working them for 1-2 years and then selling them. Get a lot of work done with them and then get most of my money back out of them.

This time I have decided to go new. Get a warranty and have a local dealer to service it. I've decided on a Mahindra 3550 HST with QA Loader, QA bucket, QA 72" double piston grapple, a 6' medium duty rotary cutter, and a 75B QA backhoe. (Will add forks later.)

I have read mostly good reviews about Mahindras, but have also read about some people having bad experiences with them, to say the least. Including a few guys here on TBN. And a few who had bad experiences with this exact model. This is making me a little worried.

My tractor has not come in yet, but I did order it. A new one from the factory, or distribution center I guess, will be coming in a few weeks.

I decided to go with Mahindra for several reasons. Strength of machine for its size, weight of machine, side by side hydro pedals I like ( I have a lot of woods cleanup work to do with the loader and trail work.)

But the other big reason is the dealer is close by and I have purchased Simplicity, Stihl, Husqvarna equipment from them before and they have a good service department.

In the past I have owned and operated Kubota, Bobcat, and Deere tractors and construction TLBs. Did not have any major problems with them.

Should I be confident in my purchase of a Mahindra? Or reconsider and go with a Kubota? I am spending a lot of money on this package, but a similar package from Kubota would be even more and from Deere would be, well let's just say too much.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

My plan is to stick with my decision and my dealer, but I think I'm getting cold feet. Ugh!

I put in a pseudo-order for the very same setup, minus the attachments. I was told by my local dealers that the 3550's now come with the 65B backhoe and the 75B is no longer available. Are you certain that you're getting the 75B?

/ New tractor purchase.
I put in a pseudo-order for the very same setup, minus the attachments. I was told by my local dealers that the 3550's now come with the 65B backhoe and the 75B is no longer available. Are you certain that you're getting the 75B?

Yes. They still list the 75B on the web site as coming with the 3550. But you are correct. I went to order mine and they said the new ones come with the 65B. I ran one of the 65Bs on a different tractor they had on the lot. Nice little backhoe, but I looked up the specs on the 75B and I didn't want one that was less than that. So I told my dealer I really wanted an 85B. Or a 595. If they could find me one. They said not a good idea because of warranty issues. I said I want a 75B then. I will not take a 65B. He found me a brand new 75B at another dealer, and said he would go and pick it up. Will still be under warranty because they sold the 75B with that tractor. I really don't know why they are switching to the 65B. I have not read about any complaints of the 75B creating a problem. Were they tearing the tractors up? I highly doubt it. This is a heavy, 49.5 hp tractor. Should handle that size backhoe no problem. Is the reason just that they will make a better profit this way? I don't know. But I almost didn't go with this tractor because I really would have liked the 85B or the 595. The 85B is more powerful, and the 595 was even a little more powerful. It was a tough decision. I almost went with a Kubota L45. Used one of course, but you can not buy them with Ag tires. I really want Ag tires for the woods and some field work I want to do. I have had the R-4s on a couple of tractors and TLBs before. And most of the time they are good, until you get into deeper snow or you get into mud. Then they just do not have the bite that the Ag tires have. I also pull a York rake behind for finishing areas off, and trail work. When things are getting muddy, the R1s do much better.

/ New tractor purchase. #8  
If you wanted a seroius BH the L45 10' hoe that attaches to the cradle type full subframe is in another league compared to a hoe on an AG machine. You would have to use chains or Get Ag tires with new rims. Due to the weight of the L45, with small industrial tires, it is not so good on soft wet ground. I wish they put 10-16.5 tires in front and 43-16 x20 in the rear, with 8 Ply rating. The 595 hoe is not to shabby either.

Attachments

• P1030504 (1280x960).jpg
    P1030504 (1280x960).jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 492
   / New tractor purchase.
If you wanted a seroius BH the L45 10' hoe that attaches to the cradle type full subframe is in another league compared to a hoe on an AG machine. You would have to use chains or Get Ag tires with new rims. Due to the weight of the L45, with small industrial tires, it is not so good on soft wet ground. I wish they put 10-16.5 tires in front and 43-16 x20 in the rear, with 8 Ply rating. The 595 hoe is not to shabby either.

Yes. The Kubota TLBs are digging machines. I owned an L35 not to long back. Liked it. Sold it to buy a bigger machine for a bigger job, JD210C. Finished that job and sold it. But I need something with Ag tires this time. The Kubota dealer here says they do not put them on the TLBs. I also want a removable loader. Can't get those on the TLBs either. So here I am. They said they could not find me a 595. And I don't think they want to put a new one on this tractor. Nice L39!

/ New tractor purchase. #10  
I don't think I have ever seen Ag tires on dedicated backhoes, likely due to the loads/uses -- the Ag tires aren't rated for the same loads and are not as puncture resistant as R4 tires, so I imagine they aren't something most backhoe users would want on construction sites/etc. The same issues probably apply to larger tractor/hoe combinations. For smaller tractor/hoe combinations Ag tires are probably fine.