Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Anyone who is selling a used tractor run in the seemingly shrinking market for used SCUTS and CUTS? I am advertising my 6 year old BX25 that has 1500 hours on it. Getting quit a bit of response but all seem to be looking for tractors that old with less than 500 HRs. Price does not seem to be the issue but the new sales at 0 down and 0% are continually brought up with the issue of no financing available for used. My tractor and implements are all in excellent condition and the complete package is priced at 60% of what they would cost new today. When I was looking for a used tractor 6 years ago prices were 10-20% under new for even high hours are less than desirable condition and being sold before I could get there. I sold my property so time is now not in my favor, but I do not want to give it away. Any advice out there?

Ron

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #2  
In what venues are you promoting your tractor?

Seattle Times, county paper, city paper?

Craig's List, eBay?

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #3  
Anyone who is selling a used tractor run in the seemingly shrinking market for used SCUTS and CUTS? I am advertising my 6 year old BX25 that has 1500 hours on it. Getting quit a bit of response but all seem to be looking for tractors that old with less than 500 HRs. Price does not seem to be the issue but the new sales at 0 down and 0% are continually brought up with the issue of no financing available for used. My tractor and implements are all in excellent condition and the complete package is priced at 60% of what they would cost new today. When I was looking for a used tractor 6 years ago prices were 10-20% under new for even high hours are less than desirable condition and being sold before I could get there. I sold my property so time is now not in my favor, but I do not want to give it away. Any advice out there?

Ron

I just purchased a 2013 model year tractor,, 1870 hours. (41 horsepower, 4WD)
I purchased a JD off of a JD dealer,,,
I paid 1/3 of the price it sold for new.

That was a week and a half ago.

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #4  
I bought a used 05 4320 about 3 months ago and was able to find financing at 4% interest with 20% down for 6 years. Banks are still willing to deal. Local farm credit was around the same interest, 10% down and 60 months. I think I found 3 places fairly easy willing to finance a used tractor. Mine had 830 hours on it.

That seems like a lot of hours on a smaller tractor but in reality that's prob not even 50% of it's life.

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #5  

Ron

1. Wrong time of year for selling used small tractors like the BX25. It doesn't get much colder out.
2. Moderately high hours, it seems the high average for non-commercial < 25HP SCUTS is 200 hours annually. Heck when I bought my M4700 in 2013 it was 18 years old with only 1400 hours and had been used by the county.
3. Extra implements - not everyone will need or want all the implements you thought you needed.

And what is
60% of what they would cost new today?
Does that include the normal discount off new prices?

If you can wait a few months you might get better results.

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0798.jpg
    8x6SAM_0798.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 129
   / Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing
1. Wrong time of year for selling used small tractors like the BX25. It doesn't get much colder out.
2. Moderately high hours, it seems the high average for non-commercial < 25HP SCUTS is 200 hours annually. Heck when I bought my M4700 in 2013 it was 18 years old with only 1400 hours and had been used by the county.
3. Extra implements - not everyone will need or want all the implements you thought you needed.

And what is Does that include the normal discount off new prices?

I realize it is the wrong time to market. I have a place to store it but thought I priced it to compensate to avoid keeping it. Around here the best discount you can expect is 10% on new stuff. Dealers even do not discount for cash with the financing plans, same price either way. Hours, I know mine is above average by a bunch, but I know landscapers that have even higher hours over time. I bought it as tool to use not to set and polish it.

Bottom line I probably will not sell it till all the 2016 25 are off the sales lots. The 25s are still priced at $16500 around here with the expected gimmicks. Talking to my dealer the average sale with 2 implements is usually around $20K after (9% sales tax and KTAC insurance. No tax buying mine, KTAC on mine is now down to $200/yr. Price on the 2017s are expected to be higher. I am selling the implements and giving away the tractor as most implements except rototiller and brush hog are new are like new.

Ron

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #7  
It really boils down to having the cash . I know too many people who have great credit , but no cash . So a used tractor for $ 9000 is a ok deal , but a new tractor at $ 200 a month is more affordable to them . Then there is the want factor and the need factor . If I just want something I will wait and search out a great deal . If I Need something I generally pay the price then and there .

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #8  
People just don't have cash these days. Check with your local farm credit representative and see if they can help by providing a finance option. My local farm credit branch will finance tractors on private party transactions with a minimal down payment (10% or so).

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #9  

And what is Does that include the normal discount off new prices?

Good suggestions above ^^^.

I would try to sell off the implements separately if someone wants them. Reason being less cash for any one person to come up with. You may fare better with this approach getting closer to your monetary goal too.

/ Trends in Used Tractor Ppricing #10  
So you are asking around $10-12k for it?
What attachments does it include?

Around here, a BX with just a loader or mower will run $6-7k.
With a loader and a mower, they seem to run around $7-9k.
Add in a cab, front blade, snowblower, tiller, backhoe or other attachment and they seem to run $10-17k

Aaron Z