New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #1  

basod

Tractor
none
Hello everyone. Joined over here at the recommendation of some members of a wood hoarding forum I frequent.

My property is mostly hills here in central Alabama. I'm looking at a Kubota B2301/2601 with FEL +3rd function for grapple and backhoe - not that I'm 100% sold.

This is mostly for woods maintenance, firewood processing a small amount of bush hogging and some landscaping along with septic install/repairs(hence the backhoe)

So what are folks real world experience operating these machines on slopes (not sideways) but longitudinal and any concerns with HST pump starvation or worse yet engine oil pump?

I'm not a tractor rookie, just been out of the farming game for 15+yrs, ran 2wd Fords, 70HP JD's, old Farmall/Cubs for years in my youth.

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #2  
I've a Kubota B7610 w/ FEL and a Woods BH70x backhoe and a Kubota M4700 w/ FEL plus a lot of other attachments.

My B7610 is on the small side for serious wood processing, the M4700, pictured below, is just right.

The B2301 and perhaps the 2601 would be a bit small.

/edit - that's the M4700 in my woods about 180 miles NW of Munford.

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
   / New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #3  
We have woodlands and the L series was recommended as being heavier and thus more suitable for woods use. Not sure how the B and L models line up now.

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #4  
My property is mostly hills in central Alabama.

Backhoe for septic install/repairs.

So what are folks experience operating these machines on slopes (not sideways) but longitudinal and any concerns with HST pump starvation or worse yet engine oil pump?

Have tractor rear tires filled with liquid to lower center-of-gravity on slopes. Ponder selection of R1/ag/barred or R4/industrial tires carefully.

Consider a Kubota L2501 as well as lighter Kubotas. Weight equals stability: B2301/1,566 pounds, B2601/1,632 pounds, L2501/2,623 pounds (all bare tractor). L2501 has significantly wider stance. Not that much difference in price.

No HST nor engine problems on slopes.

Contemporary diesel, HST, 4-WD tractors are hugely better than tractors of 20-25 years ago.

Last edited:
   / New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #5  
My property is mostly hills here in central Alabama. I'm looking at a Kubota B2301/2601 with FEL +3rd function for grapple and backhoe - not that I'm 100% sold.

This is mostly for woods maintenance, firewood processing a small amount of bush hogging and some landscaping along with septic install/repairs(hence the backhoe)

So what are folks real world experience operating these machines on slopes (not sideways) but longitudinal and any concerns with HST pump starvation or worse yet engine oil pump?...

I think a B2301/2601 with a small grapple would work great for what you have in mind. Personally I would hire out the septic install and forego buying (and storing) a backhoe. I suppose it could occur but I've never heard of an issue with HST or engine oil pump starvation on a Kubota, certainly never experienced it on my B7500 here in hilly WV.

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #6  
What is the clearance of a 2301 or 2601? I would be concerned about that if I was doing much of any woods work at all. I had a L3800 Kub and I'm thinking if it was me I would want something a bit bigger than a B model.

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #7  
Bs and Ls are 12" to 14" ground clearance. (The BXs have just 9" ground clearance.)

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #8  
B2301 has 12" of clearance and the 2601 almost 13". Plus their size makes them able to get into places and be more maneuverable than the larger B50 series and L series.

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #9  
Hello everyone. Joined over here at the recommendation of some members of a wood hoarding forum I frequent.

So what are folks real world experience operating these machines on slopes (not sideways) but longitudinal and any concerns with HST pump starvation or worse yet engine oil pump?

I'm not a tractor rookie, just been out of the farming game for 15+yrs, ran 2wd Fords, 70HP JD's, old Farmall/Cubs for years in my youth.

How many acres are you going to be maintaining with your tractor?

/ New Prospective buyer small-mid size tractor for the woods #10  
I'd find something with a low center of gravity for working in hilly terrain. Small rear tires will help a bunch for driving around on slopes.
Maybe septics are really shallow there but I can't' imagine trying to do that with that size tractor.