Tractor Sizing Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion)

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #1  

cooljoe00

Tractor
Kioti NX6010HST Cab
I have a total of about 36 acres of land; 10 acres of ~4' tall bush land, 24 acres of woodland, and ~2 acres of roads.

Jobs To Do:
-Mow high brush and saplings ~2in
-maintain 2 roads (some areas are Gravel||Clay||Sand or combinations there of)
-cleanup land debris (hauling logs and branches)
-cleanup trash (light construction debris, concrete sidewalks left on property from fallen builds)***
-dig up septic line, dig footings, level land for new construction, and maintain ditches
-Move Large amounts of dirt/clay/sand

Things I'm looking for are Front loader, Backhoe, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Root Grapple at the least.
Later job would include, moving pallets, tilling, plowing, posthole digging, wood chipping and spiting.

I'am trying to keep total costs around $50,000; I looking for suggestions on a tractor capable of most if not all these task to some degree. Due to the kid in me I keep looking at really large HP tractors that are out of the budget. I don't want to go to small and end up stressing or breaking this tractor either.

*** if it cant do this I'll have to rent something later on, so this isn't critical.

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #2  
Cab or no cab?

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion)
A cab is a Plus and I would love to have it; but if it comes down to it I'll live without it.

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #4  
You are going to plunk down some money, better to get what you want first time around, the factory cabs are a bargain IMO.

40 to 55 horse frame size would serve you well...I believe they are making some 40 horse tractors now in the smaller frame size, used to be 30/35 horse...get some thing as big as my DK45SE HST, good loader capacity, and enough weight with the rears filled to get some work done.

I leave the Hoe on mine most of the time except for winter, loaded tires, plus the hoe, it is pretty capable.

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #5  
If you are not POSITIVE what you want,,, do not buy new first,,,
The first tractor you buy is ALWAYS the wrong one.

The second or third is pretty much perfect.

I just bought my 4th bigger tractor,, that is over 35 years.
The first one was gas, 40HP, I had it ten years,
I might have still been suffering with it,, but,
I ran into a great deal on a diesel.

My fourth,, I just purchased,, is a 40HP,, but, diesel,,,
it is pretty much perfect.
After all that time, I have never purchased new.
I have 40 acres.

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #6  
If you are not POSITIVE what you want,,, do not buy new first,,,
The first tractor you buy is ALWAYS the wrong one.

The second or third is pretty much perfect.

I just bought my 4th bigger tractor,, that is over 35 years.
The first one was gas, 40HP, I had it ten years,
I might have still been suffering with it,, but,
I ran into a great deal on a diesel.

My fourth,, I just purchased,, is a 40HP,, but, diesel,,,
it is pretty much perfect.
After all that time, I have never purchased new.
I have 40 acres.

If you do enough research that does not need to be the case:)

I found my first tractor to be EXACTLY what I wanted..I ordered it that way.

Biggest mistake folks make is not buying enough tractor the first time, and not getting a cab first go around, when that is what the really wanted...do a lot of pissing into the wind before they get it right;)

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #7  
Mahindra 3550 would be perfect for you. I have about 35 acres that I'll be doing the same thing will be and this tractor is my choice.
IMG_3338.JPG

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #8  
Last edited:
   / Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #9  
I have 35 acres with just around 7 of it in woods, the rest is open. In the 30+ years I've had the place, i'm on my 4th tractor, started with a 32 HP(gas), went to a 35 HP(diesel) onto a 80 HP (diesel) & now have a 60 HP(DIESEL). All these machines were low hour used when I bought & sold them, made money on the first one & sold the next two for what I paid for them.
I got a great deal on the last one, 4 year old with 165 hours on it, have ran it 6 years & have been offered what I paid for it. I agree on the 50 HP range for what you're doing, small enough for tighter spaces & big enough for better sized implement's.
Good luck with your search.

Ronnie

/ Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion) #10  
I agree, you need a large CUT in the 45-60 hp range. Keep in mind that people will usually suggest what they know which is what they own. Honest opinions, just quite biased. With that said...

Look at the Grand L series of Kubota (Lxx60). Especially the L6060. GENERALLY considered to be the best/nicest large CUT on the market (just not the cheapest).