Comparison Comparison between skid steer and compact

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #11  
Yes, I can see how having the PHD on the front and having down pressure would be nice, but how do you hook up a bushog or flail mower to the front of a skid steer?

I'm interested in 'em because the tracked version I used here a couple years ago was MUCH more stable on the steep hillsides, especially side hilling. Being able to mow with a skid steer would really lower my pucker factor!

This is a 7' hydraulic low flow brush hog, on my Bobcat V417. It is made for skid steers and compact telehandlers:

P4060003.JPG

PA010003.JPG

PA010010.JPG

PA010016.JPG

Last edited:
   / Comparison between skid steer and compact #12  
Build another building.

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #13  
Well... I think there may be one thing you can't do with a skid steer and that is get in and out with the bucket/forks raised 3' from the ground. At least I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to. If that isn't a work requirement for you, then I've got nothing.

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #14  
Well... I think there may be one thing you can't do with a skid steer and that is get in and out with the bucket/forks raised 3' from the ground. At least I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to. If that isn't a work requirement for you, then I've got nothing.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I was in a cabbed Bobcat 320 all weekend and several times I couldn't open the door enough to get out because the boom was in the way. I either had to have them up high or all the way down, some manufacturers have a roll up door that may have helped but I have only ever ran Bobcats.

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #15  
Getting in and out of a compact telehandler is another advantage over a skid steer or a tractor.

Low cab. :thumbsup:

P9290024.JPG

PC160016.JPG

PC220029.JPG

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #16  
If you have a tractor why not.I don't like skid steers for a lot of reasons but that's just me.

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact
Some good responses, much appreciated.
Agreed on the entry/exit of the s's vs a tractor/telehandler.....last week I was trying to get a bucket out of the back of my pickup with my 289, and when I got close to the truck to hook the chain up I couldn't get out of the ss.....
I really like the idea of the front mounted bushhog, so you can see where you're going versus continually looking behind you...lol.

I'm definitely going to keep my 24hp subcompact, I use that around the house a lot.

On my property I have the other 2, a 32 hp TLB, and a 49 hp TL. It's nice to have the 32 around for digging holes, but that's not very often....the 49 I was using for loader and 3 pt work.....guess I need to decide which one I want more!

And yes, I'd love to build a bigger building, but not in the budget right now....

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #18  
I was just kidding about the building. I used to have an older skidsteer and I sure liked it for loader work and speed. It is nice to be able to see the front edge of the bucket. That said, I sold it to buy a newer CUT. I have no regrets for my uses.

Your last description of uses helps with the mystery. If it was me, I would sell the TLB and eventually buy a backhoe attachment for the skidsteer. That leaves you with a 24hp and a 49hp CUT and a skidsteer. But that's just me.

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #19  
..but overall you can do nearly everything in a s's than in a compact....yes?

Not really. The machines are designed for different core functions

I really like the idea of the front mounted bushhog, so you can see where you're going versus continually looking behind you...lol.

Depends on what you are mowing.

Now I will elaborate some. First, I think given you already have three tractors, getting rid of one and keeping the SS is the smart move, and will give you the most overall capability. Just have to decide which tractor to part with.

Some good points about SS have already been brought up so I wont mention anything that has been already.

Bushhogging going forward......thats great if you are blazing trails through nasty brush etc. But got a 5 acre pasture you want mowed a few times a year.....the tractor is gonna excel. Larger tires and longer wheelbase make for a smoother ride, all the pollen and dust you kick up stays behind you, not tearing up the ground every turn, etc.

Pulling. tractors are made to pull. Wood hauling trailer in the woods, skidding logs out, pull a moldboard plow followed by a disc, etc etc.

Tractor is also easier on the lawn if your wife wants some mulch up around the house / flowers

Implements are cheaper and more plentiful in the used market.

Moving dirt, spreading gravel on the driveway, running a grapple bucket clearing brush or moving logs, all things a tractor "can" do....nut a skid loader can do better/faster.

So in summary, I dont think there is anything a skidloader can do that a tractor/loader cant, but the skidloader is gonna be better for most of them.
But there ARE things a tractor can do that a skidloader cannot. Having both = maximum capability

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #20  
Not really. The machines are designed for different core functions
Bushhogging going forward......thats great if you are blazing trails through nasty brush etc. But got a 5 acre pasture you want mowed a few times a year.....the tractor is gonna excel. Larger tires and longer wheelbase make for a smoother ride, all the pollen and dust you kick up stays behind you, not tearing up the ground every turn, etc.

Good post! as for mowing, these words are dead on:thumbsup: