Comparison Comparison between skid steer and compact

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
Hello all -

Been playing with some larger Cat multi terrain loaders......(289s and 299s) and am loving them.been moving dirt, and opening trails, moving trees and some large items my 49 hp compact can't handle.
My question is this; who can talk me out of selling one of my compacts and keeping the skid steer......I'm already collecting attachments for the ss......lol.
I realize the implements are more expensive, and the tilt and trim 3 pts are great...but overall you can do nearly everything in a s's than in a compact....yes? Or not?
And.....I have a cab with heat air and a hydraulic coupler......kinda nice.
Open to ideas.....I can keep my 3 compacts and keep the heavy equipment I own.....but I can't keep it all stored inside, and I'd hate for a machine to sit around for a long time not being used.

TIA

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #2  
You're the only one who can go out and do a test and see which works better. What makes us better at deciding what equipment you need?

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #3  
I would keep the skid steer and get rid of one of the compact tractors. I think you will get a lot of use out of the skid steer. I have one and it can do a lot of things my tractors cannot do. It is just a more powerful machine.

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #4  
Are skid steers made with a PTO out back, such that they'd take a post hole digger or mower? That would mean they'd also have a three point hitch, too...

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #5  
Oh boy now you've opened up a can of worms. Definitely a skid steer is more capable at doing construction type chores. But at my age a tractor is sure a lot easier to get on and off of rather than in and out of. There are things that each can do that the other can't. Since you already have tractors then I don't see why you wouldn't add a skid steer to the arsenal. Ummm... provided SWMBO and finances agree. :)

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #6  
I don't see much point in having 3 compact tractors? Sell 2 and get the skidsteer. Way more capable.

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #7  
Are skid steers made with a PTO out back, such that they'd take a post hole digger or mower? That would mean they'd also have a three point hitch, too...

No, the attachments all go on the front, which means down pressure and reverse rotation for a post hole digger. :thumbsup:

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #8  
You're not fooling us man! You already made up your mind. Now get on C/list and sell 2 of those compacts:thumbsup:

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #9  
No, the attachments all go on the front, which means down pressure and reverse rotation for a post hole digger. :thumbsup:

Yes, I can see how having the PHD on the front and having down pressure would be nice, but how do you hook up a bushog or flail mower to the front of a skid steer?

I'm interested in 'em because the tracked version I used here a couple years ago was MUCH more stable on the steep hillsides, especially side hilling. Being able to mow with a skid steer would really lower my pucker factor!

/ Comparison between skid steer and compact #10  
The mowers have a hydraulic motor and the SSQA instead of a 3pt hitch.