Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks?

/ Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks? #1  

candersen10

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 262c, NH TN75, JD 6430 premium, JD 5325, Kubota BX2200, Ford 1710HC, JD 333E, JD3720, Farmall 504, Farmall 404.
Hello, I am working to build a robot for farmers to replace some of those tasks where you'd otherwise jump in and out of a tractor, or have to tow around a wagon. Here is a video of an early prototype: Augean Robotics (AGR) Following Cart Prototype - YouTube.

What do people think about this? The product is a robotic cart that follows the user, and can also return to a specified point on command. On my orchard, it would be very useful for harvesting apples, and also for spreading mulch (as shown in the video) and in other tasks where I'd otherwise be jumping into/out of a skid steer to spread small bits of material or collect objects.

The cart will be built out of aluminum so will not corrode, and should weigh about 100 pounds and be able to carry 250 pounds or so (at least several bushels of apples).

Any thoughts or feedback on the idea? What might you pay for something like this? Any applications people can think of?

/ Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks? #2  
I like my tractors, I enjoy getting on and off to do things. I personally wouldn't want a robot to do anything I am capable of doing or having my kids do when they get bigger.

/ Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks?
What about hauling stuff around with a cart/wheelbarrow where this is no tractor solution? Things like harvesting apples, putting up electric fencing and needing to constantly grab posts/wire/etc., picking up dead broilers in broiler operations, and other tasks like that?

Would any readers see value in those types of applications of having a cart that followed you, and could also return to a preset point to dump or be refilled?

/ Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks? #4  
I remember years ago, over 20 years, that someone had invented a golf bag cart that followed the golfer around. It was battery powered and tracked a small transmitter that golfer had attached to the back of his pants. I don't recall if it ever went into production, It may have never made it past prototype.

In your video it appears that the cart is tracking the shovel, is that correct? There has to be a switch or sensor to stop the tracking so the shovel can be used to work the material.

/ Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks? #5  
With bigger payloads it might come in handy for hauling gravel, sand, topsoil to and from stockpiles.

/ Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks? #7  
I think you're correct.

I shoot 2 gun and 3 gun matches and there might be a market for your product in that realm. It could carry ammo, guns, coolers and all the other stuff. I do believe that the price would have to be a lot lower than what you mentioned.

I think you're correct.

I shoot 2 gun and 3 gun matches and there might be a market for your product in that realm. It could carry ammo, guns, coolers and all the other stuff. I do believe that the price would have to be a lot lower than what you mentioned.

IMG_4467.PNG

That is the type of application I was envisioning, where people would otherwise have to lug bins back and forth to a tractor pulled wagon. Does this pain point exist for anyone (lugging around 40-80 pound plastic bins of picked produce) to the point that they would pay for a robotic cart to do it?

/ Robotic Following Cart to Replace Light Duty Tractor Tasks? #9  
Interesting idea -- I bet there are many orchard/vineyard scenarios where it would make a lot of sense.