What Upgrade to my LS J2023?

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #11  
It is standard operating procedure with tractors to keep 4-WD engaged at all times, except when operating on hard surfaces such as paved roads. No downside to 4-WD and a little safer on flat land and much safer on slopes. Without 4-WD engaged on hills, you have practically no braking ability, as tractors have brakes only on the rear wheels.

News to me! I Do not keep my tractors in 4 wheel drive as standard and none of my friends do.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #12  
News to me! I Do not keep my tractors in 4 wheel drive as standard and none of my friends do.
Yep, same for me. My tractor is not in 4 wheel drive unless I feel the need for it. jeff, think about it, how did real farmers get along before 4 wheel drive tractors came along? I know many retired farmers who never owned a tractor with 4 wheel drive. They also logged their wood lots with those 2 wheel drive tractors.

Granted, though, a person could do a lot more with a 4 wheel drive tractor. I wouldn't be without it.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023?
I think about it from a wear perspective. Can't be good for the longevity of the 4wd components to be engaged all the time. Not to mention there is a noticeable difference in turning radius when 4wd is engaged.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #14  
If my loader is on my tractor stays in 4wd.
With the loader removed I only use it when needed.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #15  
I only use 4wd when I need it. Otherwise, I'm in 2wd. Why run in 4wd when just tooling around flat land doing light duty work?

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #16  
I think for a newer or less experienced user, 4wd all the time (except pavement) is a good policy. I've neither seen nor heard of 4wd components on a tractor wearing out due to use. Just like I've never seen all the 2wd gearing wear out due to use. It's made to use and runs in a bath of oil.

I use 2wd on smooth flat surfaces and 4wd otherwise. Probably 85% of my time in 4wd.

For the OP, I would suggest a 40 hp tractor as a minimum to manage 100 acres. Plenty of good choices in the used market. If you like LS, look for a used xr4040. Never operated one, but I've always thought they looked super stout.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #17  
When 4-WD is engaged theoretical wear on the front wheel components has to be subtracted from wear on rear wheel components to arrive at a net increase in gear wear of "0".

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #18  
When 4-WD is engaged theoretical wear on the front wheel components has to be subtracted from wear on rear wheel components to arrive at a net increase in gear wear of "0".

Maybe a reasonable assumption. I've always resisted the assertion that using something too much will 'wear it out'. If I own it, I use it. I have very seldom worn anything out if it has received proper maintenance along the way. If it does wear out, replace it and use the heck out of the new one.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #19  
Being that the New model of the J2023(XJ2025) is pushing $18,000 I think New is out of the question. It's crazy how prices have risen in just 3 years.
After owning my LS J2023 for 3 years now, I've been very happy with it and it has performed a lot of work on my 6 acres that I live on. However, last fall I purchased an additional 100 acres of woods with a small clearing and tried using the tractor to clear some trails and it was more than my little tractor could handle. I'm thinking right now might be a good time to look at upgrading my tractor. Problem is that I've been out of the tractor game for so long that I don't know what to look at. Things have changed so much since I last shopped for a tractor. And my budget may be a hindrance.

Negatives that I don't like about my LS that I would like to remedy is that the tractor is light, even with both tires filled, and will lose traction quickly. I basically need to keep it in 4wd all the time. The width is narrow and it does feel tippy when going on hillsides. The front bucket is not SSQA compatible which I would like. The seat is inclined forward so going downhill makes you feel like you're about to slide off the seat.

So essentially I would like to find a tractor that is slightly heavier, slightly larger, and has a SSQA bucket, and if the engine is more than 23HP, then that's even better. I would likely sell my LS outright and use the money toward the next tractor. With what I think I could reasonably get from my tractor and what I could add to boot, I think I would have an all-in budget of $15,000 max. I'm happy with watching the used market also, but would like to know what I can get new for that price also. When I looked at buying my LS, Kioti was the second runner up at that time. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023?
Looks like I'll stick with what I have for a while then.