What Upgrade to my LS J2023?

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
After owning my LS J2023 for 3 years now, I've been very happy with it and it has performed a lot of work on my 6 acres that I live on. However, last fall I purchased an additional 100 acres of woods with a small clearing and tried using the tractor to clear some trails and it was more than my little tractor could handle. I'm thinking right now might be a good time to look at upgrading my tractor. Problem is that I've been out of the tractor game for so long that I don't know what to look at. Things have changed so much since I last shopped for a tractor. And my budget may be a hindrance.

Negatives that I don't like about my LS that I would like to remedy is that the tractor is light, even with both tires filled, and will lose traction quickly. I basically need to keep it in 4wd all the time. The width is narrow and it does feel tippy when going on hillsides. The front bucket is not SSQA compatible which I would like. The seat is inclined forward so going downhill makes you feel like you're about to slide off the seat.

So essentially I would like to find a tractor that is slightly heavier, slightly larger, and has a SSQA bucket, and if the engine is more than 23HP, then that's even better. I would likely sell my LS outright and use the money toward the next tractor. With what I think I could reasonably get from my tractor and what I could add to boot, I think I would have an all-in budget of $15,000 max. I'm happy with watching the used market also, but would like to know what I can get new for that price also. When I looked at buying my LS, Kioti was the second runner up at that time. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #2  
You are probably right that you've outgrown your tractor by buying the additional property. The J2023 is fairly small, narrow, and lightweight as mentioned. You may need something in the 30-40HP range. Basically doubling the tractor size, weight, and most all come with SSQA loaders. Check your LS dealer for XG or XR 3000/4000 or 3100/4100 series models (new and used), The XR's being premium tractors come with more standard options than the XG's. I've seen a few recent purchases by members here of new leftover 3000/4000 series tractors and some low hour used units.

By all in at 15K does that mean that's all you want to pay cash for a tractor. If so, you will have a limited market if any of new larger tractors in that price range but may find some used. You may find a better deal using some of the money from the sale of your J2023 as a down payment and financing a larger tractor at low interest rates.

The local Kioti or Mahindra dealers may be another place to look. Nothing against any other brand except they were several $$$ more when I was looking 3 years ago. I ended up with an XR3037HC and like it a lot. Lot of tractor for the money.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023?
I would rather not finance. I don't know that I need to double my tractor size. My 100 acres is wooded except for 3 acres so it's not like I've got a ton of property to manage with a tractor. When I bought my LS, I paid $12,200 which I thought was a pretty good price. I was hoping I could get something a little beefier for $15K, but it sounds like that may not be possible.

I've got Kioti, LS, Mahindra, and TYM dealers all within reasonable driving distance from me. I also have the big name brands, but they are probably more expensive that the brands listed there.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #4  
I've gone obsessive-compulsive in my research of a tractor purchase. If you want something with at least 2500 lbs, the cheapest new tractor I've got in my spreadsheet is a Kioti CK2610 HST for $16,100. Next up is a Case Farmall 30A for $18,000. These prices are either direct quotes or my estimate of the best I could get from a dealer. You may find a better bargain in your area, especially from old new inventory that dealers want to move.

If you are willing to look at gently used, you can probably find something within a reasonable distance that meets your needs. Searching TractorHouse, I see 30 tractors for sale in Missouri with under 100 hours and list price under $20K. That includes a couple Deere 3038E, some Kubota L3200, as well as a New Holland Workmaster 40. Any of those would meet the needs you describe. I don't doubt you could get one close to or under the $15K target.

Edit to add: I think I have settled on the Mahindra Max 26XL for my tractor. The bare tractor isn't much heavier than you J2023 but according to all reviews and threads in the Mahindra forum it punches way above its weight. It may not be what you need but it could be worth checking out.

Edit #2: Whoops, forgot to search in the over 40 HP range. There's a Kubota L4600 and an MX4800 under those same search criteria.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #5  
I would rather not finance. I don't know that I need to double my tractor size. My 100 acres is wooded except for 3 acres so it's not like I've got a ton of property to manage with a tractor. When I bought my LS, I paid $12,200 which I thought was a pretty good price. I was hoping I could get something a little beefier for $15K, but it sounds like that may not be possible.

I've got Kioti, LS, Mahindra, and TYM dealers all within reasonable driving distance from me. I also have the big name brands, but they are probably more expensive that the brands listed there.

All of those dealers you mentioned I believe will be relatively close in new pricing. After a long search I just purchased a LS3135HC, with loader is $26,750.
If you have all those dealers within driving distance I would go to each one and get to sit and drive each tractor. I was able to eliminate a couple of the ones you mentioned by doing that.
Unless you go used I highly doubt you find a "big" name brand in the price range you want.

Last edited:
   / What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #6  
Since your already familiar with LS, I'd start with the XG series.
I believe all new LS tractors have SSQA. Even their new sub-compact MT series has it.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #7  
I would rather not finance. I don't know that I need to double my tractor size.

Do not think in terms of tractor SIZE. You will make a faster, better decision of you think in terms of (bare tractor) WEIGHT.

You need an increase of 50% in tractor weight before you will notice a significant difference in tractor capability. Doubling tractor weight will inspire a WOW! Tractordata.com specs your LS J2033 @ 1,565 pounds, bare tractor, so consider bare tractors of 2,400 pounds and up. Increasing ground clearance from 9" to >12" will give you a tractor much more capable in your woods.

TractorData.com LS J223H tractor information

Perusing your old posts, it looks like you have outgrown the J2023 in just two years. This time, BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.

Here is a LINK to the LS web site: Home | LS Tractor

Since your already familiar with LS, I'd start with the XG series.
I believe all new LS tractors have SSQA. Even their new sub-compact MT series has it.

Good advice. START with LS.

Last edited:
   / What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #8  
Negatives I would like to remedy is that the tractor is light, even with both tires filled, and loses traction quickly. I need to keep it in 4wd all the time.

Have you kept an implement mounted on the Three Point Hitch for additional ballast? Weight cantilevered on the Three Point Hitch is much more effective ballast than equivalent weight in filled tires.

It is standard operating procedure with tractors to keep 4-WD engaged at all times, except when operating on hard surfaces such as paved roads. No downside to 4-WD and a little safer on flat land and much safer on slopes. Without 4-WD engaged on hills, you have practically no braking ability, as tractors have brakes only on the rear wheels.

Last edited:
   / What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #9  
Do not think in terms of tractor SIZE. You will make a faster, better decision of you think in terms of (bare tractor) WEIGHT.

You need an increase of 50% in tractor weight before you will notice a significant difference in tractor capability. Doubling tractor weight will inspire a WOW! Tractordata.com specs your LS J2033 @ 1,565 pounds, bare tractor, so consider bare tractors of 2,400 pounds and up. Increasing ground clearance from 9" to >12" will give you a tractor much more capable in your woods.

Perusing your old posts, it looks like you have outgrown the J2023 in just two years. This time, BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.

Exactly. So often we see folks shop for tractors, buy something that is on the small side of the recommendations here, and within a year or two they've outgrown it.

It's quite interesting to read those prior posts as you mention because so often what starts out as "it's a great tractor" turns into "it doesn't have enough traction" or "it's not as stable as I'd like" because they're on the small side for the tasks at the start and those tasks almost always seem to grow over time.

Barring a hard size limitation like a barn door, or stall size, having a little excess size/weight/capability will almost always make for a safer and more comfortable operation, along with a potential for better long-term durability.

/ What Upgrade to my LS J2023? #10  
I would like to find a tractor that is slightly heavier, slightly larger.
I have an all-in budget of $15,000 max.

When I bought my LS, I paid $12,200 which I thought was a pretty good price. I was hoping I could get something a little beefier for $15K, but it sound s like that may not be possible.

I bought two tractors before finally getting enough weight with the third, my Kubota L3560. My first was a used Deere, 1,600 pounds, no FEL. Second a new Kubota B3300SU with FEL 1,900 pounds. Third, and probably final, my Kubota Grand L 3560, 3,500 pounds, bare tractor. I cannot fit a larger tractor in my garage.

What motivated the move to increased weight was SAFETY and RELIABILITY. My ground is flat. Even so, I had the B3300SU on two wheels too often, once or twice on one wheel. I realized the odds were against me and sooner or later I would roll the tractor if I persisted in the tasks I wanted to accomplish. Also, I was operating the B3300SU FEL at 105% of capacity some of the time and it required rather expensive FEL frame repairs, fortunately covered by Kubota's excellent KTAC insurance, less $250 deductible.

I sold the B3300SU at 435 engine hours for $4,000 less than new price I paid. So, depreciation was $9.20 per hour. (Note: no sales tax on tractors for ag or forestry work in Florida.)

Selling one tractor to buy another, heavier, is no big deal. But selling several light implements to buy suitable heavier/wider implements for the heavier tractor is a pain.

You have sloped ground. You will want to go into your timber, lift tree trunks and piles of debris loaded with dirt. Get a suitable heavy tractor now, BEFORE you have an accident and injure yourself, rather than AFTER. A heavier, more stable tractor is much cheaper than a week in the hospital plus months of physical rehab.

There is nothing wrong with a used tractor, if well maintained and purchased with a maintenance or record or with a service history at the dealers.

Last edited: