Will I regret downsizing from a B7500?

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500? #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I recently posted on the Kubota board about my thoughts of selling my B7500. From the various feedback, I think I may have purchased a little bit more than I really needed. The B7500 is a fabulous unit, the LA272 FEL has proved very valuable, and the 60" MMM does do a good job, except that my lawn is not the smoothest, so it only produces results that it can.

I am thinking that now that my better half and I are not thinking anymore about moving to 5 acres in the near future, the BX Series or the JD 2200 Series may be better for me. I will not do without a loader, but the use primarily is to move dirt, gravel, snow, and mulch. All of which a smaller loader can do with ease. Besides, the bucket size between these unbits and the B7500 are almost the same. The main use is to mow. The 80 hours on my B7500 are mostly mowing (80%) so I'm thinking that a suspended deck will give me a smoother cut where the ground contact MMM on the B7500 bounces too much.

In addition, I do not like the front tires on the B7500. They are sharp edged, and when turning (even slowly) they cut the grass and leaves circles, I think a wider tire like on the sub- compacts will resolve this issue.

I will need to get rid of my 72" Land Pride rear blade for a smaller one a sub-compact will handle, but that is not an issue.

So the question is this... and all opinions and thoughts are welcomed... will I regret stepping down? The way I view it, the cut time (60" deck to 60" deck) will be the same, the tractor weights are negligable, the smaller loader will lift about 100# less, but for my use it shouldn't be a big deal, the BX has mmore HP than my B7500, and if I were to move to 5 acres, a BX or 2200 would still be adequate.

Am I missing something? The ground clearance of a B is not really needed for me, and I will probably never use 3pt attachments other than a rear blade and possibly a tiller. I am a bigger guy (6'5") and when I test drove the BX two years ago I felt a little large on it, but I'm not going to a fashion show, eh?

So, will I regret it? Have any of you downsized? How about the BX2230 versus looking at a JD2200? Thank you in advance.

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500? #2  
Before you trade down:

1. Try lowering your tire pressure to the bare minimum. This will help with the bounce and the edge cutting in on turns.

2. Remove your loader. The weight off will help with the bounce and take pressure off the front tires.

3. Slow down on your turns and widen them. No tractor is a ZTR. Try not to turn any sharper than 3 rows.

4. Do you have turf tires? Changing/trading to these will help.

I have a larger class III CUT with R4s and a RFM. If I follow these suggestions (except the turf tires), I get a very good cut.

Hate to see the baby get thrown out with the bath water.

Mark

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500? #3  
I have posted my opinion more times than I can count (I never was good at math) that most people buy tractors that are too large for their needs and they ulitmately regret it. And by the term "most people" I mean the folks that have 1 to maybe 15 acres and do not farm for a living but just have a piece of land in the country that they want to maintian.

So do I think you will regret it, my answer is absolutely not from any practical standpoint.

But the REALITY is that the little toy tractor is NOT a toy, it is a heck of a useful tool. And based on what you wrote, it is probably what you REALLY NEED while the B7500 is probably what you WANTED. Needs and wants are 2 different things.

The little tractor will be softer on the lawn, the little tractor will probably mow faster than the bigger one simply because the turning radius will be tighter. So go ahead and downsize, you will probably be happier in the long run.

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500?
I appreciate the input. I do not mow with the loader. I have lowered the tire pressure, and even done the opposite and pumped them up to the max, too, thinking they would not "crab" and pull out the grass. No good, but as you said, wider turns eliminate the problem. The front tires just have a square edge, where most others I see are rounded. Some areas I just can't avoid sharp turns, and cutting down the speed to a crawl just doesn't help. I have thought about going to R4's just because I think the large bars will be less likely to slice the grass like the turfs do, and I really do not think the R4's will tear up the lawn like ag tires would. I havetried to get different tires, but in the size for the fronts, I cannot find any. Someone posted about two years ago with a picture of their B7500 tires (from the dealer) which were a cross between an R4 and a turf, but I couldn't find the tires, and cannot find the old post.

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500? #6  
"Now from the TIM "the toolman" TAYLOR standpoint, scream like a little girl for hours on end when you see your "big" tractor leave and it is replaced by a little "toy" tractor."

great way to put that! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500? #7  
6. One more thing: Mow in 2WD.

Didnt realize you had ag tires. This is probably the biggest difference.

Mark

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500?
Sorry if I misinformed... I do have turfs, justvthe fronts have square edges, not nocely rounded like the BX

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500? #9  
Robert,

I am picking up my new BX23 tonight. I had a B7500, and loved that machine, so I am about to do exactly what you are thinking of doing. I never felt the B7500 would have been any good at keeping a nice lawn., and your experience seems to show that. I had 63 acres before with a 700 foot drivewayt.....and with the trails and woods, the B7500 was perfect. I never felt it was "Undersized". I did have access to a large JD 6415, but never used it on my wooded property.

My curent lot is 7 acres, mostly flat and low. I have lots of pine trees, and a nice pond to mow around. I think the BX series will be a perfect fit. After iusing the BX this weekend, I will report back to let you know how it felt compared to the B7500. In fact i am headed up to the dealership right now.

/ Will I regret downsizing from a B7500? #10  
I went from a L48 to a L3830 and found the smaller tractor, weight and HP to be ideal for my setup. Went from a 48 HP to 38 HP and don't miss the 10 HP one bit. Tractors are very accomodating. The ability to get the chores done in an enjoyable way is really what your striving for. I have more fun doing it with my L3830 then my L48 primarily because I can remove the loader. I think you will enjoy the smaller tractor and appreciate the nimbleness of it, all without the need to put the right or left nut in a lock box controlled by your wife. YOU WILL BE OK! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif