Buying Advice John Deere 4020

/ John Deere 4020 #1  

JD630

Tractor
I have the option to buy a non running 1970 John Deere 4020 with a cab. It has a bad engine. The rear end has been rebuilt at one point, and a dent in the hood. I havent seen the tractor in person yet, this is what I was told by the owner. Trying to figure out a good price on a tractor like that. Any advise would be great. Thank you in advance

/ John Deere 4020 #2  
What is a bad engine? Does the block need to be replaced or can you change out pistons and liners and rebuild it? Gas, lp or diesel? How do you test transmission, brakes, power steering, pto, hitch and hydraulics without a running engine? Are you equipped to do the repairs or would you hire it done? Finally how much will you have in this tractor after fixing it up and can you get that back?

Just some questions that would go through my head when looking at a non running tractor.

/ John Deere 4020 #3  
I have the option to buy a non running 1970 John Deere 4020 with a cab. It has a bad engine. The rear end has been rebuilt at one point, and a dent in the hood. I havent seen the tractor in person yet, this is what I was told by the owner. Trying to figure out a good price on a tractor like that. Any advise would be great. Thank you in advance

That is a salvage tractor worth salvage price maybe $1000-$1500? Ken Sweet

/ John Deere 4020 #4  
What has been rebuilt is of no value if it is not running . Nice shape 4020 non runner here any where from scrap price to $3000 Canadian

/ John Deere 4020 #5  

Anything non-running is a crap shoot. BTDT Start at FREE if you haul it off and go from there. I learned on a Ford 4 cyhl 4000 that didn't run. I had a '65 4020 that had the weep holes on the side of the block leaking but it did run. Paid a rediculous $5k for the thing some 20 years ago....I didn't know what leaking weep holes meant....do now! Engine overhaul then cost me over $1k and there was no machine work other than head work. I also bought a '65ish 4010D that had been completely gone through and everything needing changing was. The guy had no intentions of selling it but IRS got on him and he had no money so he sold his tractor to me for $4.5k....whadda deal.

/ John Deere 4020 #6  
There is no better tractor to dump money in than a JD 4020. At least when your done you will have the best! That tractor is worth $8k to $15k when done, power shift diesel being best, so figure what you will have to put in it and go from there.

/ John Deere 4020 #7  
A couple years back I sold a '70 JD 4020 diesel,Syncro-range trans,wide frt axle,2 scv's,non running open station to a person in Illinois for $3000 and he sent a truck to pick it up in Tx. Gentleman later sent me photos of the restored tractor that I has sold him. If it has a poweshift trans it is more valuable but more risky to buy without being able to check trans operation. I just sold a not so nice looking '69 4020 diesel,Syncro-range with JD 148 loader for $9000. Cabs on this era JD's are very noisy be it factory or aftermarket. I agree restoring can get expensive but '69-'72 JD 4020/4000 are good merchandise.