Central Texas Rock Farmer

/ Central Texas Rock Farmer #1  

RonCTAMU82

Tractor
Kubota
For 20 acre Blanco County TX tract on the Pedernales River, I am in the market for a 45-50HP either Kubota or Mahindra to:
--grade roads
--move rocks
--clear brush.
Besides a FEL, I am thinking an additional hydra loop to the front (for a grapple) and one to the rear for box blade make sense. I need to clean off cedar around oak trees so need an additional front implement to do so, but still studying. 100% of my neighbors have added beefier front-end guard protection and sun bimini to the rollover bar to their machines too. I am not against a new machine for the warranty/insurance but will strongly consider a clean used one, say under 300 hours too. Would consider trailer and diesel carrier too.

Ron Cormier
Johnson City TX

/ Central Texas Rock Farmer
Additionally...I need to rework a low water crossing across my aggregate driveway so contemplating a backhoe attachement. I'm getting plenty of push back from neighbors who say a half track excavator would be more effective so am all ears.

/ Central Texas Rock Farmer #3  
I need to rework a low water crossing across my aggregate driveway so contemplating a backhoe attachement. I'm getting plenty of push back from neighbors who say a half track (tracked) excavator would be more effective.

Rent a min-excavator for this task, buy a tractor for the rest.

A Backhoe for a 45-50 horsepower tractor costs $8,000 new.

If you go Kubota buy an optional Heavy Duty, Round-Back bucket for the FEL, which comes with SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) FEL mounting, for those rocks. It will hold up much better than the standard bucket.

Consider a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment for removing the Cedars if they are more like brush than over 2" trees.
VIDEO: ratchet rake brush clearing - YouTube

I would not hesitate to buy a ONE OWNER used tractor with 1,500 engine hours if well maintained and priced right.

Tractors near Zip Code 78636 on eBay: Tractors | eBay

COMPLETED TRACTOR SALES on eBay: Tractors | eBay

Last edited:
   / Central Texas Rock Farmer #5  
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

:tractor: I'm going to move your thread over to our buying, pricing, and comparisons section.

/ Central Texas Rock Farmer #7  
A backhoe attachment is expensive, and a lot of people can't justify the cost. But I never knew how handy it would be to have one until I bought one. I'm constantly finding new things to do with it. If you get one, consider getting a hydraulic thumb for it if you have very many big rocks to dig out and move.

I'm not up to date on the current Kubota and Mahindra 50hp tractors. Back when I bought my Kioti, I looked very hard at both a Kubota L4740 and a Mahindra 5010. The Kubota had more useful bells and whistles, but I could have been happy with either one of those tractors.

I think it would be hard to make a bad choice if choosing between Mahindra and Kubota. Have you also looked at LS? RCO Tractor in Austin is a highly respected dealer that sells LS, and LS gives you a lot of tractor for your money.

/ Central Texas Rock Farmer #8  
My backhoe significantly increases the usefulness of my tractor. Lots of people recommend just renting a backhoe. They're probably not wrong, but under their logic most people would be better off not owing a tractor at all and renting one.

/ Central Texas Rock Farmer #9  
Additionally...I need to rework a low water crossing across my aggregate driveway so contemplating a backhoe attachement. I'm getting plenty of push back from neighbors who say a half track excavator would be more effective so am all ears.

You get a better buy on the hoe when you purchase it with the tractor..mine was 6100, a mini ex has more power...however having the hoe on hand for any hole you have to dig for a lifetime is pretty attractive,:

Oh and they are fun to use:thumbsup:

They are very useful, worth the investment IMO...buy it with the tractor though lots cheaper

Last edited:
   / Central Texas Rock Farmer
Pappy , most interesting. Both the Kubota L4740 and Mahindra 5010 are used models I have under consideration. Kubota quit the 4740 in 2013 but the 4760 is current. I have not considered the LS. They appear to have Fiat engine lineage like NH. I'm still a bit spooked on the Mahindras due to lots of complaints about malfunctioning electronics and ever-leaking hydraulics. On the backhoe I'm thinking it's worth the money; it appears they're "cheaper" if package-purchased with a new tractor. Though if I can find a clean low hr unit that saves 10 grand on the tractor, I'd spend 8 grand to add a bh.