Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors?

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #21  
Couple of thoughts...
My dad told me that when he sold Allis Chalmers the 5040 series was made in Romania...
They had serious casting issues then...
Fast forward to now...
If I understand correctly Deere and New Holland has plants worldwide and they own those plants...
I understand that Case/IH New Holland has 23 plants worldwide...
If true then overall QC could be better than if just outsourcing...
No doubt Kubota sets the standard for quality at the present...

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #22  
Couple of thoughts...
My dad told me that when he sold Allis Chalmers the 5040 series was made in Romania...
They had serious casting issues then...
Fast forward to now...
If I understand correctly Deere and New Holland has plants worldwide and they own those plants...
I understand that Case/IH New Holland has 23 plants worldwide...
If true then overall QC could be better than if just outsourcing...
No doubt Kubota sets the standard for quality at the present...

You are talking above my Pay Grade now. I have no idea who owns the plants. :)

Doesn't matter much to me either way. The QC is always controlled by the executives signing the checks.

My underlying thoughts are that the QC standard is lowered by those executives to increase profit margin to please the Board of Directors. All at the expense of the buyer. Simple Capitalism at it's finest. :D

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #23  
I don't think India can make tractors better but they certainly can make them cheaper. That's the only reason they are being manufactured there. At least the American brands that are built there.

Not exactly right. I believe more tractors are actually sold in India to work Indian farms than any other country, so it makes sense that they build them there. It is a bigger tractor market than the USA. And for JD and NH to try to take some of that Indian market share they pretty much need to build them there as well. Secondarily, tractors built in India can be exported to the USA and other countries where manufacturing is more expensive.

As for build quality geographically, it's not the location nor the people on the line building the tractors. It's the market they are trying to reach at the price point they are striving for. I think tractors built in Japan, USA and Europe tend to be higher value machines since they can not compete with the entry level tractors with the wages benefits and regulations they must meet. If they build a high value top quality machine, they can still make a profit. And I think these machines are often more refined. Korean product is also quite nice and it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between a "Honda and a Hyundai", whether it be a car or a tractor.

I like the Indian built tractors, but honestly my favorites are the more basic models Strong heavy robust without a lot of bells and whistles. That is what they know best, and those seem to achieve a good balance between value, quality and reliability.

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #24  
Not exactly right. I believe more tractors are actually sold in India to work Indian farms than any other country, so it makes sense that they build them there. It is a bigger tractor market than the USA.

I don't doubt number of tractors sold each year. Wonder about total dollars of sales? Lot more small tractors sold there. Lot less large tractors.

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #25  
Not exactly right. I believe more tractors are actually sold in India to work Indian farms than any other country, so it makes sense that they build them there. It is a bigger tractor market than the USA.

A substantial proportion of Mahindra tractors sold in India and the balance of Asia have two, not four, wheels. Two wheeled tractors are counted in Mahindra's statistics.

Kubota 2 Wheel Tractor Plowing Farm Field - YouTube

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #26  
A substantial proportion of Mahindra tractors sold in India and the balance of Asia have two, not four, wheels. Two wheeled tractors are counted in Mahindra's statistics.

Yeah, that is the type of statistic I was wondering about?? How many two wheel Mahindras does it take to financially equal a JD9370R??? :)

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #27  
Not exactly right. I believe more tractors are actually sold in India to work Indian farms than any other country, so it makes sense that they build them there. It is a bigger tractor market than the USA. And for JD and NH to try to take some of that Indian market share they pretty much need to build them there as well. Secondarily, tractors built in India can be exported to the USA and other countries where manufacturing is more expensive.

As for build quality geographically, it's not the location nor the people on the line building the tractors. It's the market they are trying to reach at the price point they are striving for. I think tractors built in Japan, USA and Europe tend to be higher value machines since they can not compete with the entry level tractors with the wages benefits and regulations they must meet. If they build a high value top quality machine, they can still make a profit. And I think these machines are often more refined. Korean product is also quite nice and it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between a "Honda and a Hyundai", whether it be a car or a tractor.

I like the Indian built tractors, but honestly my favorites are the more basic models Strong heavy robust without a lot of bells and whistles. That is what they know best, and those seem to achieve a good balance between value, quality and reliability.

I think if John Deere was truly trying to compete in the Indian marketplace for farming they would be building there big machines there. I'm pretty sure it is just the opposite. They are building their smaller tractors there and probably shipping most of them back here. I'll admit I do not know the farming practices in India but I'm quite sure these American tractor companies are mainly taking advantage of the cheap labor and fewer restrictions just like American companies that have move to China. It's all about $.

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #28  
Can they build better tractors than what? Than they do today? Or better than an American made tractor? Unless you go big, 100+ HP, I'm not sure an "American made" tractor exists.

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #29  
I think if John Deere was truly trying to compete in the Indian marketplace for farming they would be building there big machines there. I'm pretty sure it is just the opposite. They are building their smaller tractors there and probably shipping most of them back here.

Deere assembles small Deere tractors for the US, Canadian and Mexico markets in MEXICO, from Yanmar/Japan, USA and Mexico produced components. Most are exported to the USA and Canada by rail.

Russia, Ukraine, Argentina and Brazil (probably others) should be markets for large ag tractors but the economies are poor and large Deere tractors are expensive. Countries consuming rice as the primary staple probably not great potential markets for large Deere tractors, i.e.: China.

Deere probably sells mining and construction equipment to all the above countries.

/ Can the Japanese or Indians build better tractors? #30  
Yeah, that is the type of statistic I was wondering about?? How many two wheel Mahindras does it take to financially equal a JD9370R??? :)

Having spent much time in Asia throughout my working years, I can say that tractors similar to my little 29 year old 4x4 Ford (Shibaura) 1920 are the larger type tractors I ever saw.
Most are 2 wheel tractors in rice paddys, and on very small farms.
Then too, in South Asia, there are many of the 4 legged types ....known as .... water buffalo.