Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor?

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #21  
If you ever get a skid steer stuck in a remote location, it will be there a while. They are super heavy and they need something twice as big to get it out.

I would get a TLB. This gives you a front bucket, Backhoe and three point hitch. Get a log winch and keep the tractor in a safe place while the winch pulls logs out of the way. Get some forks or a grapple too. The TLB can just about get itself out of being stuck with the bucket and hoe. That is huge.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #22  
If you ever get a skid steer stuck in a remote location, it will be there a while. They are super heavy and they need something twice as big to get it out.

I would get a TLB. This gives you a front bucket, Backhoe and three point hitch. Get a log winch and keep the tractor in a safe place while the winch pulls logs out of the way. Get some forks or a grapple too. The TLB can just about get itself out of being stuck with the bucket and hoe. That is huge.

I agree. For clarity, he's talking about a CTL not a SS. Huge difference.

Edit: Sorry Snobdds, I reread the OP, he did say Tracked Skid Steer. My brain automatically converted that to a CTL. Maybe that isn't his intent? Sorry.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor?
yeah I own two landing crafts and that is how I plan to transport the equipment. The problem with hiring is that this job is way to big for 1 summer's worth of work so multiple trips will need to be made, and the cost of transport just from town to the site on the landing craft that is large enough is $8,000, then another $8,000 to come pick it up which basically pays for a piece of equipment.

I don't plan to push the trees down my thought was to cut them down and then buck them up into smaller sections that the equipment could handle, maybe even leave a 8-10' tall section attached to the roots sticking up, dig around the roots and then pull down with the tractor?

not sure just trying to gather info at this point and make sure I don't make a bad decision.

Thanks everyone!

thumb_IMG_0280_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0989_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1161_1024.jpg

I have thought about the getting stuck situation and you are correct that the skid steer will be there until I bring out something else to get it out. That may be the deciding factor whereas the tractor can get it's self out with which is a must....decisions decisions.

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #25  
Why do you want to clear this much land? I'm just curious. It must be a powerful reason, 'cuz that's a whole buncha work just to let the sun shine in a little more (which cutting w/o grubbing the stumps would do anyway).

Brent

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #26  
I don't know but a B series is a really small tractor. I doubt it would do what you need. I think you are going to need to do a lot of chain sawing with your weight limitations?

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #27  
Maybe stump removal via dynamite is the way to go. Either that or good ol' fungus.

Why do you want to clear this much land? I'm just curious. It must be a powerful reason, 'cuz that's a whole buncha work just to let the sun shine in a little more (which cutting w/o grubbing the stumps would do anyway).

Brent

This is going to be our summer home and I would like to have the grounds cleared and grassed for our kids and eventually grand kids to play in. The Spruce trees hold a lot of moisture which lends to rotting etc. of the house and outbuilding we will be building. Kodiak gets about 70+ inches of rain each year so any and all sunshine we can take advantage of I would like to be able to. I don't mind putting in the work just want to try and get the best tool for the job with the option constraints.

I don't know but a B series is a really small tractor. I doubt it would do what you need. I think you are going to need to do a lot of chain sawing with your weight limitations?

I was thinking the B may be a bit small is the L that much bigger? what about a Mahindra? I was told by someone locally that Kubota has gotten to be a really big name and you are starting to pay for the name. Mahindra was recommended as it is now a good value like Kubota used to be? not sure on this was just suggested by a guy who has a homestead on the south end of Kodiak and owns an older L model Kubota.

This guy also figured out how to get dual front and rear tires on his L model and said that was the ticket, may be the way I go as well. I guess he purchased the next size smaller front wheels and welded them to the outside of the main front wheels. When he drives around he is on the two main front wheels but if he sinks into anything the other smaller front wheels help him float. May be the way to go?

/ Tracked Skid Steer or Tractor? #30