Buying Advice Skid-Steer Mulching Head Advice on Teeth

/ Skid-Steer Mulching Head Advice on Teeth #1  

JimSmitt

Tractor
Kubota SVL95-2
Hello All,

My name is Jim Smitt, and this is my first time posting here. I live in the Dallas area. Im looking to get into Skid Steer mulching and need some advice. I have been looking around here for a while and find some really helpful threads, but also I found some threads that seem like spam or at least misinformation.

It seems like everyone agrees that most modern high-flow track machines are all pretty decent when it comes to running these things, Cat and Terex seem to be the most designed for the task, but any of the other brands will be just as good so long as you keep the coolers clean.

Where I get confused is it comes to mulching head types, and the teeth they use.

It seems like there are really only two types of Mulchers, the drum type and the disk type.

What I gather is the drum type seem to be a little more reliable and easy to run, and the disk types seem to be a little faster on the smaller bushy stuff. I have just gathered that from a whole bunch of threads on here and other places. I could be wrong.

Now I dont want to get into brands or bias, just basically honest real world feedback from guys that have run one or more of these things.

What my main question is, where I live theres some rock (not much) a good amount of sand, and trees from bushes all the way up to 10 inches or so.

So what style tooth is the better bet for a guy starting out?

Seems like every brand has either carbide or steel? Or both?

Does any have any idea how long this thing will last hitting the ground and sand?

I would appreciate you guys giving me feedback on your experiences and the actual (NOT CLAIMED) amount of hours you see from the different teeth you run.

Thank you all in advance.
-Jim

/ Skid-Steer Mulching Head Advice on Teeth #2  
That is a very limited market . Expensive and high maintenance . I know a guy that bought one , but its an add on service to his existing contracting company . He already had 3 skid steers and got one for a good deal . He is one of very few with one . It gets used for clearing around once a month . What he found it very handy for is clean up . He drops trees and brush , then he moves out the bug stuff and then brings in the mulcher to grind up all the left overs . It eliminates a couple truckloads of brush to haul out .

/ Skid-Steer Mulching Head Advice on Teeth #3  
Hello All,

My name is Jim Smitt, and this is my first time posting here. I live in the Dallas area. Im looking to get into Skid Steer mulching and need some advice. I have been looking around here for a while and find some really helpful threads, but also I found some threads that seem like spam or at least misinformation.

It seems like everyone agrees that most modern high-flow track machines are all pretty decent when it comes to running these things, Cat and Terex seem to be the most designed for the task, but any of the other brands will be just as good so long as you keep the coolers clean.

Where I get confused is it comes to mulching head types, and the teeth they use.

It seems like there are really only two types of Mulchers, the drum type and the disk type.

What I gather is the drum type seem to be a little more reliable and easy to run, and the disk types seem to be a little faster on the smaller bushy stuff. I have just gathered that from a whole bunch of threads on here and other places. I could be wrong.

Now I dont want to get into brands or bias, just basically honest real world feedback from guys that have run one or more of these things.

What my main question is, where I live theres some rock (not much) a good amount of sand, and trees from bushes all the way up to 10 inches or so.

So what style tooth is the better bet for a guy starting out?

Seems like every brand has either carbide or steel? Or both?

Does any have any idea how long this thing will last hitting the ground and sand?

I would appreciate you guys giving me feedback on your experiences and the actual (NOT CLAIMED) amount of hours you see from the different teeth you run.

Thank you all in advance.
-Jim[/QUOT

The drum cutter or mulcher will cost you approximately $10-$15,000 more then a disk style cutter. Both types of cutters will need a high flow skid steer with an auxiliary cooling package and a debris management kit. I believe Caterpillar is the only manufacture that offers this from the factory. As far as what type of tooth that is more of a geographical preference. Much of it depends on if you're going after Brush, Cedar, post oak.... I would recommend sitting down with your local Caterpillar dealer or sending me a personal message and I would be glad to answer any questions you might have..

/ Skid-Steer Mulching Head Advice on Teeth #4