Buying Advice If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor?

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #11  
When I was looking at tractors I was going to get an XR3000 series open station with gears to save money. After I went and looked at them and thought hard about my uses and who would be using it I decided on an XR4140 with cab and HST and I couldn't be happier. I would not want to give up either one.

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #12  
3 years from now... whichever you choose... you will wish you had sucked it up and chosen BOTH.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have neither and it sucks. My knees are killing me and the skeeters eat me up every time I'm out on my tractor.

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #13  
We have one with HST and one with hydraulic shuttle and like them both. Previously we had cab and synch-shutte. Cab takes precedence over transmission for me.

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor?
I decided to bite the bullet and blow through my planned budget and get an HC model. Also the 4140 was only $30 more per month. So I put a deposit down to hold a XR4140HC w/loader. I close on my new house on the 17th so I will be back to finish the financing stuff. I'm not supposed to finance anything till I close.

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #15  
LS Thumbs Up.jpg

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor?
Thanks guys for all your input. I have rented tractors with loaders and box blades a couple times but that is all my experience. I will utilize this but it's also a new toy for me. I can't hardly wait till I need it!!

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #17  
I decided to bite the bullet and blow through my planned budget and get an HC model. Also the 4140 was only $30 more per month. So I put a deposit down to hold a XR4140HC w/loader. I close on my new house on the 17th so I will be back to finish the financing stuff. I'm not supposed to finance anything till I close.
I think you made a wise choice. A cab is nice to have when mowing or doing anything dusty and lets not forget those occasional encounters with wasps or yellow jackets when a cab is almost a necessity.

I wish my cabbed LS had HST and I wish my Kubota B26 TLB with HST had a cab especially when I am digging something in the 100F summer time. Having HST on the B26 is the reason that it is my go to tractor for most of my work even though it isn't cabbed. The LS is mostly for tilling, mowing and heavy FEL work, the rest gets done with the B26.

You may need to do what I did when I got my LS cab and trim your trees up high so they don't brush the cab. The small ones looked a little spindly for a few years but now 5 years later, they look great. I keep all my trees trimmed up as high as I can reach while standing in the back of my Kubota RTV.
My LS cab can take on a lot of limbs though from the sides. Last summer I bush hogged my daughter in laws place that has pines planted about 20 feet apart and the limbs are almost lapping. The FEL arms helped spread the limbs and the cab just swept them aside with no damage to the cab or more importantly ME. Without the cab, mowing that would have been impossible. You do have to watch for large overhead limbs which can do a number on your cab if you hit one.

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #18  
I think you made a wise choice. A cab is nice to have when mowing or doing anything dusty and lets not forget those occasional encounters with wasps or yellow jackets when a cab is almost a necessity.
You do have to watch for large overhead limbs which can do a number on your cab if you hit one.

I currently have a broken mirror proving that point. I've had to almost constantly, limb trees because they are too low. The place hadn't really been 'used' by an owner for about 15-20 years. It had been leased to a farmer, who... just worked the easy ground. (makes sense given the long term work for him wouldn't be worth the effort.) So, every tree on the place is overgrown and untouched. I've pulled 10" trees that were obviously 'scrub' at some point, and just worked around.

But when you get your place 'tractor friendly' it won't be difficult at all to maintain it. You will be VERY HAPPY you made this choice. Even though it can be a little daunting once a month.

I grew up very poor. We made due with what we had and were just fine with it. I've done a little better in my life, and now I look at what I would have considered 'unnecessary luxuries' in a whole new light. Sure, I could have baked in the sun or frozen in the cold, and still got the work done. But, as I've aged, I realize I want to be enjoying my life as much as possible. And that $3000 for a cab or HST over 20 years is a pittance compared to the enjoyment I will receive from the outlay.

Certainly there are times when you have to make due. But, on long term purchases, I always recommend really taking a look at speed and comfort. Over the long haul, I bet you'd pay a $5 to not have to sit in the heat when you mow.

When you get it, take a look around your area for old equipment. New equipment often doesn't 'cut the ground' any better than 50yo things. But it is definitely a LOT more money. Ask about purchases on this site. These guys are a HUGE source of information. I'd rather learn from them, than from a poor purchase.

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #19  
Cab damage can be mitigated to some extent by adding just a few guards on your cab.

/ If you could only choose hydro or cab what option would you choose for your tractor? #20  
I'm going to look at LS tractors today. I am thinking about a XR3037.

There is an XR3037C at one dealer with a loader, LMC 5ft rotary cutter, and box blade for $21995.
Another dealer has an XR3037H for $19,500 with just a loader.

Either one can get me a XR3135CH (I don't thing the 3037 is still made) but it's around 25K give or take. That's a little more than I want to spend. I am also going to buy a commercial ZTR or I would spend more.

I am closing on a house with 20 acres on the 17th. Ten acres are cleared around the house. There is 10 acres of woods behind the cleared section. There is already a decent size clearing through the woods with a deer blind and a few established trails.

If you had to choose cab or hydrostat and not both which would you opt for? Pic of the property:

Simply put the ZTR on hold for a bit and get the tractor you want rather than sacrifice every time you use it.
If you have to finance the tractor the monthly payment wont be too much more and in many cases I have seen people find alternate finance solutions by simply going with a credit union and getting a better rate and longer terms to balance out the extra cost.
The bottom line is you are making a purchase that you will most likely be living with for many years and lots of seat time so get the right tool with the right options for you and the extra money will always be worth the wait or little sacrifice its worth.
My one friend actually figured out if he made his coffee at home every morning instead of buying it at the local mini market he easily covered the cost of paying the extra 40 dollars he pays per month for the tractor he wanted rater than the tractor he thought he could afford.

I guess I should have read page two before reply. Anyway congrats on the new homestead and tractor!