Price Check Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH

/ Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH #1  

Fosterz

Tractor
Kubota BX24 and L3540
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here as I joined the forum last week. I've enjoyed reading a lot of the posts here, there is definitely a lot of knowledge and experience here.

Last summer, we bought a used 2012 L3540 from a dealer. The original owner had a backhoe on it but kept it after he traded it in.

We want to get a BH92 for this machine and we already have the subframe. I called our dealer this morning for a price check and want to know your thoughts:

BH92, 18" bucket, no thumb: $8800

BH92, 18" bucket, hydraulic thumb: $11,700

What do you guys think about this price? Definitely want to go the hydraulic thumb route. If it can be paid for in full with cash what do you think is a good offer? This price is delivered to my house 1.5 hours away in a crate so I'll have to break it open, install the thumb, and mount it to my machine.
Maybe I can save more if I pick it up myself.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

/ Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH #2  
Installing the thumb and valve stacks is not a trivial thing. Something to think about.

If that quote is from MB or Champlain I would strongly recommend that you talk to Townline in Plainfield, NH. Talk to Drew if possible (one of two brothers who own it). I drive 1.5hrs there instead of 20min to the Tilton MB if that tells you anything.

Used ones do come on the market.

/ Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH #3  
Installing the thumb and valve stacks is not a trivial thing. Something to think about.

If that quote is from MB or Champlain I would strongly recommend that you talk to Townline in Plainfield, NH. Talk to Drew if possible (one of two brothers who own it). I drive 1.5hrs there instead of 20min to the Tilton MB if that tells you anything.

Used ones do come on the market.

Also, $12k will buy a servicable full size backhoe. Something else to think about... :drink:

/ Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH
Quote is from Chappell Tractor. And I'll say it was a pleasure dealing with them when we bought the tractor. Honest dealership and they delivered it within 2 days of the handshake.

I'll look into installing the hydraulic thumb. Thanks for the tip.

I have been looking around for used ones but I'm having a tough time finding stuff.

Last edited:
   / Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH #5  
Prices look to be very close to list price using the wholegoods price list. Any dealer should be able to sell at this price.

Hmm... This is starting to look like I should just buy the thumb valve and build everything else. Can't understand why it's 3K for a thumb. I don't think the $8800 is too unreasonable.

/ Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH #7  
I put an aftermarket on my equivalent Woods hoe and it is functional but not near as nice as an OEM setup.

/ Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH #8  
Attached you'll find a few pages from the Wholegoods price list from 2016 that might help.

Attachments

• BH92 prices.pdf
    209 KB · Views: 1,563
   / Buying a BH92 with Hydraulic Thumb NH #9  
I'd really like to get one, but 3 grand is really, really steep.

I read through Thirsty's writeup and agree that it looks like a real pain. Don't know why Kubota didn't make it an easier project.

Guess we've got some thinking to do. Right now I think we'll end up just buying the BH and maybe add the thumb later. I went through the parts list of the thumb to see the price of individual parts. Anyone know how much just the cylinder costs?